Comparison of $700 turntable and $8,000 turntable. As you would expect.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I think the McIntosh MT10 turntable and cart is 10k, right? Can someone confirm?

NO, it's 8k I was told.

So, I had occasion to compare my little Music Hall 7 table with the Mighty Mac today. Both coming through the same Sutherland PhD battery powered phono stage using the same wire.

The Mac is a loaner from McIntosh Labs and the Music Hall was a gift from Tone Audio.

Not a fair test because of the price point but I was curious.

I played the same stuff I always play when I check out a turntable at home.

I start with the original motion picture soundtrack of THE
    COTTON CLUB LP on Geffen, one of the best sounding records I know of (a digital recording yet!)

Then I play "Charmaine" off the Decca stereo LP of THE BACHELORS.

After that, the "cutter test" I did on acetate back at Location Recording Service of CHEROKEE MAIDEN by Merle Haggard & The Texas Playboys, from the 30 ips master tape. The last band on the acetate is cut at +6. Both tables could track it.

Then, NEW ORLEANS SHUFFLE by John Fahey and his orchestra on a WB LP called "After The Ball".

Finally, side two of the Parlophone valve cut BEATLES FOR SALE.

These albums when played back on a great system can be spooky realistic sounding, with natural ambiance and a midband to die for.

Needless to say, the Music Hall had a nice, accurate top and bottom but no midrange magic. That could be because of the Shure V15mx cart, don't know. It is a very nice sounding table for the kale and comes with MC cart installed.

The McIntosh turntable captured it all, in scary realism. The Mac is really a Clearaudio table that has been modded and changed by Mac. Rich O'Neil kindly set up the McIntosh for me.

I love the sound of the McIntosh. True breath of life.

I'm wondering how the Music Hall table would sound with the McIntosh cart in it? Butterfingers Hoffman will not be able to make that cart swap, unfortunately. Anyone ever do something like this? Put a 6 thousand buck cart in a 7 hundred buck table? Pointless or valid? Don't know..

I can't afford or would be able to justify spending that much on a turntable but a high class table really can deliver the goods.

So, does this make or break our day? As Oskar Schindler once said: "Nice things cost money".

I will really miss the Mac when it goes. The magic is in the midrange!

2. www.records

www.records Active Member

Sounds reasonable to me. I only wish I could have been along for the ride.

3. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear a 6 grand cart on a 700 dollar table, just for curiosity sake.

4. heaudio

heaudio New Member

I'd be willing to bet (as though it could be quantified!) swapping carts would deliver better than half the difference you heard.

5. Steve Hoffman

Don't know. The Mac arm and cart were designed to work as a duo.

Putting the cart on an arm that is not really adjustable might just suck in terms of trackability, etc.

On the MT10 there is literally no inner groove distortion.

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

could a 6k cart be less suitable than a $500 cart on a Music Hall? I guess it's not the money, but the compatibility.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, is the question "Is it the table, or is it the cart?"? Or, is it both?

As for handling that $6k cart. i'd be so nervous i'd probably drop it!

8. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

It's also money - I mean, does it make sense to put a $6k cart and/or arm on a $500 table? To some, maybe. Look at the aftermarket modding community. I just don't see the value ratio in this case.

There's good equipment at all ends of the spectrum.

9. Grant

I don't know. I use a cart with a suggested retail cost of about $500 on a $500 Music Hall Table.:D

10. oriongazer

oriongazer New Member

Big difference in test because different cartridges. Yes, there are differences in compatibilities, but best should be using similar cartridges and arms.

11. Grant

Well, it's not a matter of always being best, it's being curious as to what the 6k cart would sound like on a like-table more of us probably have and can afford.

12. jfall

jfall Forum Resident

Steve, I believe the MSRP on the Mac is 8000$. Is the cart really 6000$? Even at 10K$ 60% of the package price for the cartridge sounds high.

I'm not surprised to hear you find the Mac to outshine the Music Hall; it should for about 10x the price.

Have you been able to compare the Mac to the Continuum? Once again an unfair comparison as one component costs about 10x as much as the other. This could be a great opportunity to test out the magnitude of diminishing returns.

13. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Interesting...I didnt know it was based off a ClearAudio table.

- Sushimaster

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yeah, that's huge. It would super-level the playing field to put the same cart on each table. At least similar carts... I have no doubt that it would make a huge difference. It's like trying to decide whether you prefer the sockeye salmon over the chinook salmon when one of the sandwiches has wasabi dressing on it! :laugh:
    -Bill

Gardo likes this.
  15. Publius

Publius Forum Resident

Needledrops? ;)

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, I once had the chance to buy a Scully cutting lathe for $500, back in the late 1980s. I thought for about five seconds, "man, I could just put a phono cartridge on it, and it would be the world's greatest turntable!"

I wound up not getting it, only because I couldn't find a truck and enough people to load it and take it out, plus it would have been a 25-mile drive out to Newhall. I'm positive it weighed almost 1000 lbs. (and that was without the rack of tube amps and patch bays that came with it). From memory, I think the massive platter alone weighed over 100 pounds, and it took about :30 seconds to come up to speed. Once it did, it was absolutely rock-solid.

I'm still kicking myself! It wouldn't have looked nearly as cool as the Mac turntable, but you can't beat the price or the nostalgia factor.

There's gotta be 100 other cutting lathes sitting unused in various parts of the country. Hmmm... (rushing off to eBay)...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Music!

Music! Forum Resident

I kinda wish I hadn't read that line because my system is no where near 'spooky realistic'. More time and money is what I need!

Did the music hall deliver any of the realism the Mac did? Maybe just a shade of realism? I'm planning on adding a turntable soon, and my price range will probably be in the Music Hall range and way less than the Mac range...I should just give up...:cry: (Joking about the giving up part :) )

18. Steve Hoffman

See, my test wasn't really kosher because of the non-matching cartridges. The Music Hall is a fine table but the cartridge you put in it is all-important. Get a really good one, not the stock cart that comes with the 7. I found it thin and bright... I am sure the table can shine. Others here can talk about the best cart for the unit...

19. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Real men would do it blind folded. :winkgrin:

Steve, I'd be interested to hear your findings if you swapped the carts on both TTs.

I've read that much of the difference in sound can be attributed to the arm proportionally. I'm not knocking cart design AT ALL readers, but that what I read is that for money a cheaper cart on an expensive (read "well designed") arm will do more for you than an expensive cart on a cheaper (read "less well designed") arm. So while the cart undeniably does its stuff, the arm is the other half of the story. Precision mechanics and all that...

20. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I think Bill's right. To really compare the two tables you got to use the same cartridge. I did this when I first got my Scoutmaster comparing it to my old Technics 1600mkll. I didn't want any second guessing about what I was hearing and why. And the biggest difference between the two? Signal to noise ratio. Better dynamics from the VPI table which allowed me to hear more from my cartridge (Not just the thump of a bass drum but background vocals and cymbals seemed clearer) than I'd ever heard before.

21. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Good to hear!

Steve!

I’m just curious. What pressing this LP is? I assume, that you mean american pressing.
    Are other pressings as good? Like the dutch?

Because I might buy it, if the dutch version is as good.

/JJ :righton:

22. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

How does it sound compared to this one, sans earthquakes?

[​IMG]

23. howiebrou

howiebrou Forum Resident

I think the Cart is about 2k no?

24. 3db

3db New Member

I think that if you used identical cartridges on both turntables in this comparsion, the results would be much more meaningful. To me, there is still too many variables in this equation. Thanks for the heads up though :)

25. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

I think the test was as "real world" as it could get. I would think there is no middle ground for a cart that would do justice either to itself or the table - to fit on both turntables. Sure you could put a more expensive cart on the Music Hall, but why? Same answer for putting a cheaper cart on an expensive table; no one would do it in the normal course of things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.