Steve, can you tell us which is the preferred mix for each Beatles album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Pepper, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member Thread Starter

Steve,

You've mentioned before that the stereo version is preferable for Beatles For Sale because it has more dynamic range than the mono. Also, that the mono Rubber Soul is best because the stereo mix is wonky. Can you fill us in on the rest of them? I don't think there is a thread devoted specifically to this. And just let me thank you in advance, I really value your opinion.:)

MikeMusic and Dan The Man1 like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You mean MY preferred mix?

First of all, I like the stereo mix of RUBBER SOUL. When properly EQ'd it can be fun. Takes me back to 1966 when I first heard stereo for the first time as a kid. WOW!

I like the stereo first album songs and I like the stereo for WITH THE BEATLES but the mono version of MONEY is killer.

I like both the stereo and mono A HARD DAY'S NIGHT equally. Both very different mixes.

SALE: Stereo only.

HELP: Stereo only for side one but side two needs to be heard in both the stereo and mono mixes. The mono mix of IT'S ONLY LOVE, YESTERDAY, etc. are killer; less echo.

RUBBER SOUL: Both. The MONO version is quite wonderful. DRIVE MY CAR in mono is just a killer for the simple reason that the friggin' backing track is louder which makes for a more solid mix. The stereo just lays there. Still fun though.

REVOLVER: Both. Some of the mono mixes are so wonderful one could lay down and die though. Check the mono Yellow Sub, Rigby and mainly the last song on side two. WOW!!!!

PEPPER: Both. The mono MR. KITE kills the stereo mix.

MMT: Both, EP and German.

WHITE: Both.

So that doesn't help you a heck of a lot, does it?

Safe to say that if an album is mixed in mono and stereo I will listen to both versions when in the mood.

The only album that I don't really like in mono is BEATLES FOR SALE and that is because the mix is sooo compressed and harsh. Having a first press Parlophone LP helps but the stereo is really the winner here. It was probably mixed (with apathy) in about five seconds so it has less signal processing than the mono mix. That's why I like it.

The first pressing Parlophone stereo BEATLES FOR SALE LP that Tom Port sold me a few years ago is simply to die for. I played it yesterday on my McIntosh turntable. You can hear the back of the room and George's solo on HONEY DON'T just stands out. Total SNAP. Missing completely on the mono. "Sheets of sound" as they used to say about Mr. Coltrane.

Best $49.99 I ever spent. Thanks, Tom. No, you can't have it back to sell as a Hot Stamper, sorry.

Now, the stereo first press (tube cut) BEATLES FOR SALE is much more compressed than the later bland solid state cut but it has character and a depth that is missing in all other versions. Think about it, recorded with tubes, mixed with tubes and mastered with tubes. No wonder you can hear the back of the studio wall! I also dig the MOFI LP of it (when the treble is properly cut). It's much more dynamic than the tube Parlophone but loses a bunch of midrange magic in the process. Still, a great sounding MoFi.

So, no help at all. SORRY!

Collectors should concentrate on getting the cleanest first press Parlophone LP's, EP's and Singles that they can afford. They are really the only versions that will stand the test of time and never go down in value, only up.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Bingo Bongo, dzjc, Tim 2 and 5 others like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Anyone else have an opinion? C'mon, don't be shy.

4. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

This observation from you must just make people want the remasters (great ones) even more.

5. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Forum members with opinions on the Beatles? Surely not!:winkgrin::winkgrin:

(expect a thousand posts by the end of Sunday)

6. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I was shocked (shocked, I tells ya!) when I heard the mono Beatles For Sale. That obnoxious compression, which as I recall Steve has defined as limiter splatter from the Altec. It made me run back to my stereo Parlophone (Australian, but it will do).

The first album is gorgeous in stereo if you have Die Beatles.

In general I think some Beatles songs are better in stereo, others are better in mono, and some are just fine either way. It would take far too long to list every one of them. For example, Sgt Peppers (the song) absolutely rocks in mono, but A Day In the Life is better for me in stereo.

I know the mono mixes are generally regarded as punchier, but in some cases like the Magical Mystery Tour EP I feel that the mono mix is almost too punchy and that the rhythm section seems a little too loud compared to the vocals. I like to hear those marvellous Beatles vocals in all their glory...

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I agree completely with Steve's synopsis, though I prefer Rubber Soul in Mono.

8. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member Thread Starter

Actually, this is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I specifically remembered you saying in other threads that you didn't like the mono Beatles For Sale but I wasn't sure until now where you stood on the other ones. Thanks once again.:)

9. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Steve,

I never would have dreamed of listening to Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper or my beloved White Album in mono(!) until I found this site (thanks to your interview in The 910 on the subject of the state of the Beatles' catalog - funny how that topic persists to this day). I also absolutely agree with your assessment of Sale, a personal favorite Beatles' albums I discovered "later" in life at 16 - stereo a must.

Now I'll take the first four in stereo or the mono bliss of the later albums any day.

Michael

10. Traxinet

Traxinet Active Member

That makes sense. Everyone at some point likes their funky mixes of X song because that's how they first heard it. For instance, I can't listen to the mono mix of "The Inner Light" because I first heard it in stereo and immediately fell in love with it. These are the sort of contexts in which opinion and experience trumps mixing, mastering, etc. That said, Rubber Soul in mono is so great. Compressed less than the other Beatles' album and mixed superbly. And I don't like the separation of the stereo album, but of course that's another story...

I don't think I've ever done that. In fact, I'm only happy when I've determined which one I prefer, and I'll only listen to that mix. An exception is, indeed, The Beatles (The White Album) in which both are necessary (IMO).

And that's why I don't like it. Check out the crappy cymbal overdubs in "No Reply". It doesn't make the mono sound any better, but even when The Beatles compressed in mono the mixes were solid.

Slightly off-topic, but in a recent MMT topic, the issue of EP pressing quality came up. Can you possibly expound about the whole pre Neumann era thing?

11. Steve Hoffman

Michael,

I had not heard a proper mono RUBBER SOUL or REVOLVER, WHITE, etc. until the middle 1980's. I was blown away at how good the mixes were. Who knew what was locked in those grooves?

Needed a good vinyl rig to find out!

12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Mono for everything up to the white album, where I have to splt it up between mono and stereo (the mono "While My Guitar..." has a character to the guitar solo that can't be heard in the stereo, but the stereo accoustics on "Cry Baby Cry" add to the hypnotic air).

13. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

It's been a pleasure discovering this forum and picking up some of my favorite albums on 1st press Parlophone vinyl, especially Beatles for Sale. Can you believe that many peoples only experience of this album is the EMI CD. :help: No wonder many people regard it as the Beatles weakest album. Not by a long chalk IMO...

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I think Steve's notes is where I stand after listening to both mixes over the last couple years on a good rig.

I've never been impressed with the pre-Help mono albums or the 'Oldies' LP, except for certain tracks on them. However, the mono UK singles and EPs are great. From Help through the white album I think both mixes are essential. Once I really heard the Sgt. Pepper mono mix I was sold.... and Lennon's tracks on the white album are superb in mono!

15. Steve Hoffman

I love BEATLES FOR SALE. As Ricky Skaggs once said, it's their COUNTRY album.

I cannot begin to express to you how bad the CD is. Harsh, unmusical, plodding, almost atonal. Dreadful.

Even a cheap common 1970's Parlophone stereo silver and black label LP will sound at least 75% better.

16. Traxinet

Traxinet Active Member

Skipped this paragraph for some reason. I am not a fan of Please Please Me in stereo (the two songs in fake stereo; crappy title song), but With the Beatles rocks in both mono and stereo. :cool:

17. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I generally tend to like both mono and stereo for different reasons (i.e. some are missing parts, or some just plain sound more well balanced).

I don't have much of a preference.

Just whatever sounds the best to me.

And I have to agree that the mono Beatles For Sale (especially the CD) is just terrible. Sounds like a telephone.

18. Steve Hoffman

You guys (and gals),

I'm scratching my head a bit at a few of these posts.

The Beatles entire canon is, what, 12 or so albums and some misc. singles?

That is IT!

To go and chose ONE MIX of a song and discard the other is to cut yourself off from a refreshing different approach to the music.

Face it, they aren't going to be cutting any new material (until the reunion in Heaven) so this is IT for us.

You won't play the stereo THIS or the mono THAT? It has to be one or the other?

Play them both! It's all we have!! Elongate your pleasure (as they say in those SPAM emails I get).

MikeMusic, 2141, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  19. Traxinet

Traxinet Active Member

Yup. :( It's a personal quirk that I have, sorry! I'll start listening a certain stereo mix and wonder why a certain aspect of it is missing, and then I will realize I'm listening to the 'other' mix. I would never alternate watching a film in black and white and color.

I don't disdain anyone who does listen to both mixes. Nor will you hear me complaining about the lack of Beatle material-- I am fully, fully aware of the limitedness of Beatles output and that we're lucky to have what we have. But, I, as Traxinet, do not listen to both mono and stereo Beatles mixes. To quote Mike Love, "that's not me".

20. Steve Hoffman

I don't quite understand but as long as you get enjoyment from the music, that's what counts. It's easy to become burnt out on this stuff, especially if you've been listening to it since inception.

For me, having heard the stereo SGT. PEPPER constantly since April, 1967, when I first heard the "different sounding" mono mixes in the 1980s I bounced up and down with joy. The album became new again.

2141, Sidewinder43 and hodgo like this.
  21. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

I'll admit until I'm blue in the face that I'm no Beatles expert as many of you are, but unless I'm blind I didn't notice Steve nor anyone else mention Abbey Road or Let It Be. Surely two albums that are nearly 40 years old have had more than one mix, right? If not, how come?

I will now await the enlightening responses from the experts ... as well as my possible execution :D

22. Steve Hoffman

Only one mix of course, the stereo mix.

23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Well alright!

Now if you'll please excuse me while I purge my bank account to fill in those last couple 'Beatles collection holes.'

:) :wave:

24. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Wow, okay, that explains it then. Abbey was always my fave and being born in 75' I can't imagine an album sounding better in mono when you would have a better separation of instrumentation and vocals in stereo. I tried listening to Pet Sounds in mono and I just didn't get it.

Anyhow, thanks Steve!

25. jacden

jacden Senior Member

In the UK, the last Beatles album to be issued in mono was Yellow Submarine in January 1969, but it was just folded down from the stereo mix. In the US, this album was only issued in stereo, like the previous one, The White Album. Hence, there were no mono releases of Abbey Road or Let It Be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.