Steely Dan AJA - original U.S. vinyl pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Geez, this thread is confusing.

AJA was recut so many times it ain't funny. All but the first mastering was done from the ABC EQ cutting master.

If Kevin Gray cut it, well that's like 6 years or so after the album was released.

The album never sounded that hot to begin with but if it has an ABC label you stand a chance of getting a first cut. My first cut really doesn't sound much better than a 5 year later mastering.

Try the first issue CD (1985-88, either version will do). That sounds better to me and was made with the Village 1/2" original tape.

PBo and kingcrimson1973 like this.
  2. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, Steve!

I was little confused by the thread too, I hope I didn't confuse it more. :)

I'll look for the first issue cd.

3. Cameron Stevens

Cameron Stevens Forum Resident

I don't remember if any of the stamper info listed before is a copy that I used to have, but if it played quieter, I would've loved a copy that had Union Jack stampers. On each side, there was a little English flag drawn/etched into the dead wax. Overall, I loved the sound, just couldn't get it to play quietly enough. These stampers were on an original ABC pressing.

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That's the one I see around quite frequently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I was informed in another thread here that the British Flag stamp is from somewhere in upstate NY (Gloversville plant?) and indicates a later pressing.

5. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I just bought my first copy of this in any format: ABC vinyl with these hand-etchings:

Side 1: (RE3)-A-1C (and then on the other side of the label "A21")
    Side 2: (RE3)-B-1B (and then on the other side of the label "B8")

Not noisy at all--sounds great! What year would this have been pressed, approximately? And what do the A21 and B8 mean?

6. nathan_h

nathan_h could be weirder

Been picking through a relative's collection and found a copy on ABC with this matrix on side one. AA1006-A(RE-4)1A

This vinyl is quieter than even the recent 180 g Pallas pressings of other material i've bought recently. Was this a fluke for ABC or were they really making some very quiet lps?

7. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

So do these original pressings actually sound better than the MFSL vinyl from 1980?

8. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Steve, is there some matrix/catalog# info I should look for on this CD pressing? I've got and old 80's version, but I'm not sure if it fits the above description. What should I look for? Thanks!

9. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Odd that in a thread about the original U.S. vinyl pressings, no one has mentioned the original. The first issue was released as AB 1006. The AB signified an ABC LP with a list price of $6.98. AA meant an ABC LP with a list of $7.98. Every single copy of this album with catalog # AA 1006 was manufactured after AB 1006 went out of production...after the list price was raised.

It was ABC's standard procedure to use the album's prefix and stock # (plus other info) in the deadwax of their records. Therefore all original LP issues of AB 1006 will have AB 1006 in the deadwax. All later LP issues of AA 1006 will have AA 1006 in the deadwax. However, in order to avoid throwing out a bunch of perfectly good metalwork with AB 1006 already etched in it, some of the earliest pressings of stock # AA 1006 have the prefix changed in the deadwax. The B was crossed out, and an A was added in front to change AB to AA. Eventually all the metal parts made from the original AB 1006 lacquers were replaced with parts made from later cuttings with AA 1006 etched in them from the start.

To recap...

First...Stock # AB 1006...AB 1006 in deadwax

Second...Stock # AA 1006...AA[strike]B[/strike] 1006 in deadwax

Third...Stock # AA 1006...AA 1006 in deadwax

So, if your ABC copy of this album has AA in the deadwax, there are at least two other easily identifiable earlier pressings. This is just one of many layers of complexity for ABC releases from this era. But it's one of the simplest to understand. All of the additional deadwax info is important as well, but understanding these basics is an important step before getting into the complicated stuff.

Pressed at MCA's Gloversville, NY plant.

It's the Keel Manufacturing plant in Hauppauge, NY (Long Island). At that time it was owned by Pickwick International.

10. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Glad you posted this info, Wilkie.

There is no BG in the dead wax on my AB 1006 copy (A-5 / B-1) - blows away every other mastering I've heard.

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The MFSL vinyl doesn't sound good at all. Sounds thin and pale. Shorter's tenor saxophone sounds like an alto.

12. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

My ABC pressing bought used is a little distorted also. I always marked it down to the original owner playing the living crap out of it on a not so good turntable. He or she took care of it though, it looks mint, no scratches or fingerprints, and the cover is in very good shape also. It's just the grooves themselves which are worn. I have an MCA "Super Stars At Super Savings" blue cloud vinyl copy also, which sounds pretty darned good, as do many 80s era MCA Blue Cloud LPs.

My MFSL CD is my "go to" for this album.

It's important to remember Steve's point that this album has been recut about a million times.

13. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Thanks Yasujiro; one of my favs of all time. Disapointing to hear the MFSL vinyl is not that great. Which version do you recommend?

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

Spinning my AA now. Great album!

15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

So, what about my copy? The number in the Side A deadwax is "AB1006(RE-3)-A 1A", on Side B, "AB1006(RE-3)-B 1A". Each side as what looks like either "S Z" or "Z S" or maybe two little lightning bolts. I bought this when it was first released, which jibes with Wilkie's description above. What else can you tell about its pedigree from the inscriptions?

16. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Well that's an early pressing for sure. It came from Columbia's Santa Maria, CA plant. It's very close to the promo pressing I'm familiar with. With (RE-3) on both sides. Make certain your cover isn't gold stamped as a promo. I don't believe any WLP's ever existed for this title, but maybe I just never saw one. I'd say that's about as close to the beginning as you're likely to get. :righton:

mikeyt likes this.
  17. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

My copy of Aja has the following:

ABC Records

AB-1006-A
    AB-1006-B

From what I have been reading I asume this is a earlier pressing. Were the early pressings in a gatefold cover? Mine is in a non-gatefold cover and on the back of the cover it says printed in West Germany. I think this is odd. Does anyone else have this cover?

18. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Since I last posted in this thread I picked up a second copy of this on the yellow ABC label. My copy has the above matrix info hand written and then a machine stamped AA. It also has the British flag symbol mentioned by someone else. I'm assuming this is one of those transitional versions you mention?

Regarding listening quality, my copy looks mint, but must have been a bad pressing or handled well but played badly by it's previous owner. During "Black Cow" there is some really awful breakup during the back-up singer parts. It could be groove damage from a previous owner, but the distortion doesn't sound totally like what I'm used to with groove damage, so I'm not sure (would non-fill cause that?). The vinyl also has some odd crackles here and there, but it looks like a very clean copy.

The other copy I have to compare it to is the Kevin Gray MCA rainbow pressing I mentioned earlier in the thread. Comparing the two, the AB definitely has more presence compared to the later pressing making the rainbow pressing sound slightly veiled.

Heckto35 likes this.
  19. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

OK, thanks! It's definitely not a promo - I remember buying this at Tower Records in San Diego, or maybe in Hollywood. I was very into Steely Dan at the time, so I probably bought it as soon as it was in stock. I always used to think it was one of my best-sounding LPs, and I never noticed the distortion people have mentioned in this thread. I haven't played it for many years, though, but I'll give it a spin tomorrow with all that in mind.

Heckto35 likes this.
  20. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

I believe that was pressed by Keel/Hauppauge. Perhaps machine stamping AA in the deadwax was their method...differing from Santa Maria's way of accomplishing the same thing by adding an A to the front, and scratching out the B.

One thing's for certain. The jacket, the label, and the deadwax should all have AB in all three places, or have AA in all three places. It sounds like different plants handled the transition in slightly different ways, but your copy was pressed from parts made from one of the early lacquers.

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IMO there's no reason to hesitate to buy the Cisco version which is easily available in the market now.

22. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Waking up the thread again.

I found an early pressing of Gaucho and started checking out my old ABC AJA that I bought in Sweden in the 90s sometime. It has always impressed me SQ-wise and it has indeed the following info in the daed wax:
    Side A: AB-1006-(RE3)A - P4
    Side B: AB-1006(RE-3)-B P3

Condition of LP is M-. Very quiet - played very little. I think most people just palyed their early copies to death.

The cover is gatefold and kind of glossy and just VG+ since it is quite worn at the edges. The inner bag is thick glossy cardboard. Playing it again makes me feel I hit the jackpot without knowing it then. It sounds phenomenal!!!
    No distortion in vocals or choir. Uncompressed dynamics and this drummer cymbal work -unbelievable! Comparing it to the MFSL CD it sounds much better and I have also a MCA later pressing bought new in the 80s which is very weak in comparison.

If you find one AB 1006 pressing in good shape - just grab it and run!

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Resurrecting this thread with a question. Can anyone identify this copy of AJA please:

Matrix: T1 AB 1006(re-3)-A-1 (but the 'B' is crossed out and 'A' written in its place)

Am I right it is an ABC records 2nd pressing 1977, ie: not earliest pressing but not as late as the AA 1006 ones? What would sound quality be like compared to the AB 1006?

many thanks

Heckto35 likes this.
  24. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

AJA is one of my all time favorite albums. I have both an original pressing (I don't know which one), the Mobile fidelity pressing, and a Mobile Fidelity gold CD. I'm really hoping that the Japanese SACD is worth the money, because I don't think that I can resist the temptation to buy a copy.

Heckto35 likes this.
  25. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Anyone able to help? Is there so much difference between the earliest - AB - pressings and these AA (crossed out B) ones?

Heckto35 likes this.