Replacements Remasters in '07?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

:righton: I'm there.

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Agreed...the new one clobbers all others...

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Glad I never laid out any dough for the last version as I was advised against it; I just borrowed it from our library.

It's off to Sonic Boom...:wave:

4. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Great question and a great idea! It would be great to have that information; however if they can't do it completely than I'll settle for throwing known facts in the liner notes instead of songs with "unknown" listed under the titles.

It's cool that Peter Jesperson is chatting these up with you while working on them. I was surprised at how amiable he was when I ordered items from the Twin Tone web-site a couple of years ago. It's encouraging to read that he is listening to suggestions from fans as well.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Jason!

5. IMO it's somewhat bright, but since everyone else thinks it's the cat's pyjamas I'm beginning to think it's a system/setup issue for me - I've had this issue on a few releases lately. I know I've at least gotta get better speakers.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The 2002 remaster is sh**. Pure sh**. Utter sh**. They used DAT copies instead of the master tapes, and it's compressed to the point there's no dynamics.

The new Rhino remaster is very good. Maybe it's a little bright, but not too bad (and I'm sensitive to brightness generally). And anyway, the old original early 90s Twintone CD was also pretty bright (and also lacking bass), so it's not like there's an alternative that's substantially better. The new remasters are the best versions of the four Twintone albums we've had on CD, IMO.

7. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

I picked up the Rhino reissues of Sorry Ma, Stink, and Let It Be. Can't believe I've been missing on this band for so long, and I'm looking forward to checking out the later, less punk stuff (which I have a feeling I'm going to like even more). I obviously have no basis for comparison, but I'm totally satisfied with the sound of these reissues. Thanks for encouraging me to take the plunge, guys :thumbsup:

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw both nights at the Country Club too.

I love the TP/Heartbreakers live stuff on recordings, but watching them bores me personally. That's why I liked them backing Bob Dylan in 1986. You got them playing with their solid backing, but you also had Bob's songs and Bob to watch. Now that was a match made in heaven. And Dylan thought everyone was there to see TP. He felt like the Mats did in the summer of 89. :laugh:

9. dee

dee Senior Member

That's great! :righton:

10. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

any word on the release date of the next batch? I looked on Rhino's site and see nothing. Thanks in advance.

11. Here's an update from Pitchfork on the release date and the track listing. Thoughts, comments?

12. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

13. JayB

JayB Senior Member

GREAT to see some of the Chilton demos with the Tim DE!!!!

I'll wait for a couple of the Replacement experts to chime in on the bonus tracks..czeskleba you out there? ;>)

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Thats what's so special about this place..

BTW, I STILL refer to your posts (and other folks) in the Husker Du album thread...:)

15. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Looks like the expanded "Tim", "PTMM", "DTAS" and "ASD" are on the way. I found this mentioned on Billboard today:

As expected, Rhino will on Sept. 23 release expanded reissues of the Replacements' final four albums for Sire Records. Each album features a host of previously unreleased bonus tracks; the entire reissue catalog will also see digital release the same day.

The Replacements' major-label debut, 1985's "Tim," features some of the band's most enduring material, including "Bastards of Young," "Kiss Me on the Buss," "Left of the Dial" and "Waitress in the Sky."

The reissue includes alternate versions of the latter song as well as "Here Comes a Regular," a demo for "Kiss Me on the Bus" recorded with producer Tommy Ramone, and three outtakes from sessions tracked with Big Star's Alex Chilton, including both acoustic and electric versions of "Can't Hardly Wait."

The new version of 1987's "Pleased To Meet Me" includes 11 bonus tracks, seven of which are seeing the light of day for the first time. Among them are demos of "Birthday Gal," "Bundle Up" and "Valentine," plus an alternate version of "Alex Chilton."

The outtake "We Know the Night," a cover of Slade's "Gudbuy T' Jane" and a demo for "Talent Show" enrich 1989's "Don't Tell a Soul," while the Replacements' 1990 swan-song, "All Shook Down," sports eight previously unreleased demos for songs like "Torture," "Tiny Paper Plane" and "One Wink At a Time."

16. azmodien

azmodien Member

Awesome unrerrated band. Probably my greatest discovery in a long time.

17. JayB

JayB Senior Member

The complete tracklisting of all the new remasters is at the pitchfork link above kindly posted by Dudley;

Tim:

01 Hold My Life
    02 I'll Buy
    03 Kiss Me on the Bus
    04 Dose of Thunder
    05 Waitress in the Sky
    06 Swingin Party
    07 Bastards of Young
    08 Lay It Down Clown
    09 Left of the Dial
    10 Little Mascara
    11 Here Comes a Regular
    12 Can't Hardly Wait (acoustic, Alex Chilton sessions outtake) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    13 Nowhere Is My Home (Alex Chilton sessions outtake) [bonus track]
    14 Can't Hardly Wait (electric, Alex Chilton sessions outtake) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    15 Kiss Me on the Bus (Tom Erdelyi demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    16 Waitress in the Sky (outtake, alternate version) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    17 Here Comes a Regular (outtake, alternate version) [previously unreleased bonus track]

Pleased to Meet Me:

01 I.O.U.
    02 Alex Chilton
    03 I Don't Know
    04 Nightclub Jitters
    05 The Ledge
    06 Never Mind
    07 Valentine
    08 Shooting Dirty Pool
    09 Red Red Wine
    10 Skyway
    11 Can't Hardly Wait
    12 Birthday Gal (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    13 Valentine (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    14 Bundle Up (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    15 Photo (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    16 Election Day [bonus track]
    17 Alex Chilton (alternate version) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    18 Kick It In (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    19 Route 66 [bonus track]
    20 Tossin' 'N' Turnin' [bonus track]
    21 Can't Hardly Wait (alternate version) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    22 Cool Water [bonus track]

Don't Tell a Soul:

01 Talent Show
    02 Back to Back
    03 We'll Inherit the Earth
    04 Achin' to Be
    05 They're Blind
    06 Anywhere's Better Than Here
    07 Asking Me Lies
    08 I'll Be You
    09 I Won't
    10 Rock 'N' Roll Ghost
    11 Darlin' One
    12 Portland [bonus track]
    13 Wake Up [bonus track]
    14 Cruella DeVille [bonus track]
    15 Talent Show (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    16 We'll Inherit the Earth (mix 1) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    17 Date to Church [ft. Tom Waits] [bonus track]
    18 We Know the Night (outtake) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    19 Gudbuy T' Jane (Slade cover) (outtake) [previously unreleased bonus track]

All Shook Down:

01 Merry Go Round
    02 One Wink at a Time
    03 Nobody
    04 Bent out of Shape
    05 Sadly Beautiful
    06 Someone Take the Wheel
    07 When It Began
    08 All Shook Down
    09 Attitude
    10 Happy Town
    11 Torture
    12 My Little Problem
    13 The Last
    14 When It Began (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    15 Nobody (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    16 One Wink at a Time (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    17 Torture (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    18 Attitude (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    19 Happy Town (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    20 Tiny Paper Plane (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    21 Sadly Beautiful (demo) [previously unreleased bonus track]
    22 Kissin' in Action [bonus track]
    23 Ought to Get Love [bonus track]
    24 Satellite [bonus track]

18. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

It could be much worse but I'm not thrilled with the bonus track selection. Where is Empty as Your Heart (aka PO Box) and Time is Killing Us? The great Little Mascara alt take/demo in circulation should have been included too. The Pleased To Meet Me outtake Learn To Fair is another big omission. Still, these are must buys for me.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

A lot of those tracks are from commercially available issues. The PTMM b-sides are not that rare, and then Portland and Wake Up were already issued.

But I think the idea was to make for listenable program of strong additional material.

Did they get the right verion of Can't Hardly Wait? I seem to recall a fan fave alt. of that one. Was it called the "Air Shaft" version?

I've tended to listen to the unissued live material far more than the outs.

But for a band that never sold tons of records, I think they are doing the albums justice here. I'm not going to complain at this point.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

what albums are these outs from?

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Just a few comments on the lists for each disc:

Tim: This looks excellent. I'm pleasantly surprised to see both Chilton-produced versions of "Can't Hardly Wait" will be included. I was afraid they might only include the acoustic "airshaft" version. I'm guessing/hoping that the Erdelyi demo of "Kiss Me on the Bus" is the version that commonly appears on bootlegs in terrible fidelity. That version features the song as a fast, straightahead rocker instead of the rockabilly arrangement that made the album. The first CD release of "Nowhere is My Home" is also reason for rejoicing. Assuming they've got the correct version of "KMOTB," they didn't leave out anything notable from the Tim era.

Pleased to Meet Me:
    I knew I'd be disappointed in this one. There's so much material from these sessions, the only way I'd have been satisfied would be a two-disc deluxe edition, and I knew there was no way that was going to happen. The most shocking and disappointing omission is "Learn How to Fail", a great Westerberg tune that I assume was under consideration for inclusion on the original album at one point because it appears on the DAT acetate that was bootlegged. It's a lovely song with great lyrics. I can't imagine why it was vetoed (presumably by Paul). Too bad.

The good news is they have included four songs from the 6-song August 1986 demo session (assuming "Photo" is the song commonly-bootlegged under the titles "PO Box" or "Empty as Your Heart"). The bad news is they left off the best song of the six, "Time is Killing Us". But I didn't expect to see even as many as four included, so I'm pleasantly surprised by that. "Bundle Up" is a hilarious version of "Jungle Rock" with totally new lyrics by Westerberg.

The other notable omissions are the two Tommy songs, "Make this Your Home" and "Trouble on the Way." I would guess Tommy himself must have vetoed them. Maybe he's embarrassed by these, his earliest songwriting efforts, but I'd have enjoyed seeing at least one included; "Trouble on the Way" is pretty good. Also overlooked is "Run for the Country" an nice ballad by Paul.

No big surprises here otherwise. I'm curious to hear what the alternates of "Can't Hardly Wait" and "Alex Chilton" sound like.

Don't Tell a Soul:
    Interesting that with PTMM they mostly avoided duplicating tracks from the All For Nothing/Nothing for All comp, but here there are quite a few repeats from that set. I'm curious about "We Know the Night"... since it's listed at previously unreleased, it's presumably a different take than the one on AFN/NFA. I wonder if it's substantially different in arrangement and performance? The AFN/NFA version is sublime, so I'm curious what this will be like.

The only surprise here is the Slade cover, which has never been booted. That should be cool. I am surprised that they didn't unearth more, though. I remember back in a 1989 interview that Chris Mars said they'd recorded an entire album with Tony Berg producing that they scrapped. He mentioned a remake of "Beer for Breakfast" and of course "Portland" and "Wake Up" date from those sessions. I was hoping there would be more titles. I wonder if Mars was exaggerating when he said it was an entire album scrapped, or did they just feel the material was not up to releasing?

All Shook Down
    :
    One surprise here, the previously-unheard "Tiny Paper Plane" demo. Looking forward to hearing that. And one notable omission, the Westerberg demo for "Only if We Must". Otherwise a decent selection of demos here. I wonder why they put "Ought to Get Love" on this disc, though? It is credited as produced by Matt Wallace, so I've always presumed it's a "Don't Tell a Soul" outtake.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The acoustic version produced by Chilton is the "airshaft version" and it will be on there.

They are from the 6-song Pleased to Meet Me demo recorded in August 1986. For years fans have thought that Bob played on this demo and it's been bootlegged as Bob's final session, but Jesperson recently verified that it's really just Paul, Chris, and Tommy.

I suspect the song titled "Photo" on the reissue is the same recording that's commonly titled "PO Box" on boots, so I think that at least will be included.

The PTMM b-sides are not rare, but it seems clear that one of their intents was to make sure everything that has been officially released on vinyl (and that isn't already on AFN/NFA) should be included on the reissues (with the one notable exception of the live "Hey Good Lookin', sadly). I don't mind seeing the b-sides there, I just wish they'd included 2 or 3 more of the unreleased originals.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

So, no one knows for sure if the alternate Kiss Me on the Bus is that incredible hyped up down and dirty version?

Nice to get the bathroom version of Can't Hardly Wait.

Someone should be shot for excluding Learn How To Fall and Only if We Must.

I'm in for the first two for sure. After that, it's wait and see time.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm guessing you'd have to shoot Westerberg then.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Really? The others had nothing to do with these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.