Everest Records Chronology

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by recordchaser, Jan 14, 2002.

1. recordchaser

recordchaser New Member Thread Starter

[Question]

Hello list,

I have been an Everest freak since the early 60's and still actively "hunt"
    both the 2 trk open reel tapes and stereo Silver Back l.p.s.

Over the years I have become acquainted with all of the re-issue variants of the original Belock pressings. Most of the reissues have an address on the l.p.
    label stating some L.A. location. Most but not entirely all of these variants
    are grossly inferior to my 1st generation pressings and my P/C 2 nd generation
    pressings.

I have long wanted to know who the California entity was that Harry Belock
    sold his label to. And was the label sold again, again, again. In other words,
    who produced each succeeding generation of Everest l.p.s. Does this explain
    the continual degredation of the pressings?

I realize that I am in a very small minority of Everest lovers but Steve did do
    some excellent reissues of a few Everest discs and I hope that this is indicitave of enough shared interest that someone in the L.A. area may know
    or be able to find via the net the answers to my admittedly low priority
    question.

Phil Samuelson [recordchaser]
    [email protected]

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Recordchaser!

I can give you a short account of the Everest story after H.B. sold out.

Bernie Soloman bought the label in the middle 1960's. He lives in LA and also at the same time bought the Hi-Fi/Arvee (Arthur Lyman, George Wright) and Period/Esoteric labels. RykoDisc owns a bunch of that stuff now.

Bernie has licensed the Everest Catalog to Omega Record Productions. Their web site is at: http://www.omegarecords.com/

They are issuing the best sounding Everest stuff to date.

The old Everest pressings? Well, here is the REAL DEAL. Read it and weep:

The first Belock pressings were mastered directly from the three-channel analog master or the three-channel 35mm fullcoat film.

When Belock started losing money (real quickly), he sold out, and the NEXT pressings were made from 2-track and mono mixes derived from the original three-channel recordings. These "Cutting Master Dubs" were all done at Radio Recorders in 1962, and boy, oh boy do they stink (the tapes I mean). The cuttings stunk too.

And so on, using COPIES of the COPIES of the three-channel tapes every time a new cutting was made.

It wasn't until I came along wanting to do some Everest LP's that Bernie broke out his vault key and unearthed the original three-channel tapes.

Most of the 35mm fullcoat mags were totally turned to vinagar, but the 1/2" tape seemed all right.

Omega is using these same great sounding tapes to do their SACD's and CD releases of the Everest catalogs.

Their Vaughn Williams 9th is amazing!

That help?

3. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

I say, is this the best forum in the world or what??? :)

Mark L. likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IIRC, Omega has released SACDs of Vanguard, not Everest.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A note: Not only are silver label pressings superb ones on Everest, the Purple Mountain labels are also excellent ones. If you get the very earliest of the pressings right after Harry Belock sold out, those used original metal work (stampers) for pressing. And still pressed on decent vinyl. Usually a black label or sometimes gold label has the good HB era masterings. Once you know the style of original Everest deadwax, you can recognize those masterings, and you can occasionally get lucky on early reissues.

jfeldt and kt66brooklyn like this.
  7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I believe Collectables released some Everest records about 12 or so years ago. Some good, some not so good.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. peresmeshnik

peresmeshnik Member

Speaking of Everest labels, I have found contradictory information about the chronology of Everest pressings online (which is no surprise, of course). While reviewing Everest label variations on the "vinylbeat" label site [VinylBeat.com: LP Label Guide: Record Labels D - F: EVEREST ], I just noticed that they date the orange-and-blue label (with the small yellow mountain peak) as a "1960" variant; but I always thought that that label was a *late* 1960s variant that post-dated the solid black, solid gold and solid bright-orange variants. Is that a mistake on their listing, or are they correct and I'm wrong? In any case, I definitely have *post*-1966 classical releases on Everest with that orange-and-blue label; so it if did, indeed, start using it in 1960, then it continued throughout the 1960s, as well. *And*, if the orange-and-blue label variant *was*, in fact, used on 1960 releases, then that means that those releases must have been Belock pressings. Which contradicts what I have always thought.

9. Steve Hoffman

Bumped by request. Anything to add?

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well, 20 years later, I still think those Omega releases were really well done.

yasujiro likes this.
  11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember the SBM CD reissues being particularly good and I was surprised to learn that Everest was not a legendary label like RCA Living Stereo or Mercury Living Presence.

Mark L. and jfeldt like this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

All of those Mercury 35mm albums used the Belock equipment. Same with Command Records.

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

There are several reasons. The artists/performances are uneven even compared with Mercury. The sound is superb but Mercury, who had similar mic placement and same equipment, did leave greater results. And Steve explained the rest in this thread.

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Just to make it clear. C. R. Fine bought the equipment from Belock and used for Mercury and Command.

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Orange and Blue is more like 1978-early 1980's pressings. So not Harry Belock era pressings. Not even close to them, more like high generation umpteenth generation tape sources.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

He bought more than the equipment, he bought the entire studio to boot with it, became Fine Recording, Bayshore.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Everest even issued a fake stereo Sousa compilation of original 78s and also some Patsy Cline 4-Star recordings in mono as well as fake stereo.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Was Everest the original label for the promiscuously licensed and reissued Beethoven cycle by Krips/LSO?