CD storage racks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerry, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Hard to say, since very few floors are perfectly flat. I've only assembled 2 of them so far. The shelves have mounting hardware at the top that, although intended to prevent the unit from tipping over, also allows you to fine-tune their position.

2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I have a couple of Billy bookcases bolted together. You can ask Ikea's customer service for "Connect Sleeves", and they usually provide them for free. Otherwise, you can get them in a hardware store as 1 1/2" Chicago Bolts. Then I use the L-brackets provided with them to anchor them to the wall. Nice 'n' sturdy.

Should work for the Benno's as well.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Excellent! I'm really happy with my Billy bookshelves, but wish Ikea would make a cd rack in a similar vein. Kinda like a Billy, but 7" deep instead of 11" and cd shelves instead of book.

4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

5. filper

filper Forum Resident

I haven't forgotten you Jerry.

The digital camera is off to my daughter's graduation party.

I will throw up a photo when I can. :)

6. Jerry

Thanks! No hurry.

Congratulatuions on your daughter's graduation. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Jerry, check Best Buy. I saw one the other day that holds 1,100 CD's. I didn't check the dimensions but the price was like $139.00. I looked nice too.

8. Jerry

Thanks! I'll check online first. :righton:

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

We had this storage rack custom made. The first picture is the front, and the second is the back (or vice versa if you prefer). This puts an awful lot of discs into a small space, but you can't, of course, put it against the wall. It does make a nice room partition though.

And as you can, it wasn't not enough and I had to get something else.

And I've outgrown that as well. Honestly, 'Honey, I lost my job because I was goofing off' would be easier to say to my wife than, 'Honey, I need more storage space for my CDs.'

Attached Files:

10. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

another vote for IKEA...

... but of course, as with all products IKEA, there's a twist...

Bennos are indeed OK, and pretty much the only game in town for shallow depth (unless they still have "Flarke" in the US IKEA program, don't know); but rather expensive for a large collection, and you will get tired of assembly.

A good solution I've been using for many years which is expandable, not too expensive, and somewhat funky is:

Billy + extra Billy shelves + wooden wine boxes.​

If you go to your local wine store and get wine boxes for wines like Pinots, Alsatian wines, or expensive trendy US wines, the box dimensions are something like 12x21x4.5 (DxWxH in inches). Empty after they have unloaded wine, of course, unless you are tres in the money; many wine stores here in CA either give them away or charge a few dollars.

Usefully, the interior width is exactly wide enough to place 4 CDs side-by-side with the title spine facing up (ie jewel cases oriented "on-end" with hinge side upwards), so you have 4 rows of about 30 CDs each sitting in a single box. This way it's like a flip-file of approx. 120 jewelcased CDs with titles in readable position. (Or a lot more mini-LP papersleeves...) Four rows fit with just a bit of space between each; sometimes oversized items are a bit tight, so maybe you use three rows and extra space for box sets, etc.. And the 4.5" - 5.0" wooden box wall height provides good support but is not full height of the on-end CD cases, lets you easily access cases to flip thru them.

The Billy shelves are deep enough that the boxes are stable (but of course you have to support them as you slide them out like a drawer to flip thru discs).

Width is where the "twist" comes in. IKEA has reduced their product offerings in North America, and for past year or two has only been offering Billy in two widths: 40cm and 80cm (15.75 & 31.5 inches). 31.5 works fine with dimensions of the types of wine boxes as mentioned above, and you have some space besides wine box for extra box sets, other music and audio paraphernalia, etc..

However even better for weight support are the older, no-longer-available in North America 60cm (23.75") wide Billys. Obviously, the wine boxes fit better with less unsupported shelf span (and potentially wasted space).

I have bought plenty new over the years, but at least here in the SF Bay Area, there are usually quite a number of Billy bookcases listed as FS on Craigslist. Since I moved from Europe with a large number of 60cm units many years ago, I am constantly scoring used ones on Craigslist. Often the cheap price for a complete bookcase simply rationalizes buying it for availability of the four or six more extra shelves....

Depending on your height / comfort with reach, with extra shelves you can put eight or nine wine boxes of 100-120 jewelcased CDs in a tall (72" high) Billy. Ten if you stack two on the bottom shelf (or if you drill some extra shelf pin holes in the lower area where the pattern becomes sparse). The shorter Billy can be set up for four or five boxes.

Used low Billy: $15 - 30
    Used tall (72") Billy: $20 - $40
    Used extra shelves (or simply a second Billy): another $10 - 40
    10 Used wine boxes: free to maybe $25

Look on your friend's face as he sees a wall of several side-by-side Billy bookcases with a neat array of CD-filled matching wine boxes covering every shelf, and says

"wow..... you sure drink a lot of Opus One...."​

priceless.... :D

11. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Looks awesome :righton:

12. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I highly recommend these, they're built decent and fairly cheap also.

Easy to mount to the wall also with an "L" bracket.

13. filper

filper Forum Resident

As promised... bad lighting, but you'll get the (ikea). :)

Attached Files:

14. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Since many have mentioned the Billy from Ikea and no one has mentioned the cd insert shelves, I'm guessing they are no longer making them. I don't have an Ikea close to me, so I don't know. But just in case, I'll describe them. They are designed to fit easily, yet snuggly into the standard Billy. Two rows of cds per unit, holding approx. 125 CDs per unit. They are also designed to fit in equal measure from top to bottom of the Billy, with no wasted space. The have solid wood backs, so if you choose you can place them even with the front edge of the Billys. I put mine to the rear of the Billy, to leave room to display little music related odds and ends in front of the CDs. I also choose to leave the bottom third for many of the oversized and heavy music books. It seemed to help anchor the whole thing by lowering the center of gravity a bit. I hope they still make these things, for me they are the best answer I've found for organizing and displaying all this stuff and have it look a bit sophisticated, but I'm running out of room. YIKES! Good Luck.

15. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

no longer available new from IKEA North America. Generally priced about $10-15 on Craigslist

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Good value racks like this in the UK would be very expensive :shake:
    I will resort to a self build

Simon :)

17. malldian

malldian New Member

Benno from Ikea looks great, I might have to pick up a couple of those.

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have bought from rackandstands many times. It provides free shipping for most if not all items it sells. Prices are generally quite good as well.

19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How so? With the almighty pound compared with the worthless dollar, you should be able to get some reasonably priced non-Chinese made imported racks.

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

:righton:

21. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I recently ordered a VTI rack from rackandstands and it was very nice! Now I have an enclose CD storage unit on the way.

22. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

hey, this sounds interesting...got any pics?

thx!

23. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Hey, I have a couple of those VTI racks as well. Racks and Stands has good "bang for the buck" items. Wonder how some of their speaker stands are...

24. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

25. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I purchased 3 racks that hold 1500 cd's from Argos over here. Total cost £75. Don't make them no more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.