Which digital version of Waltz for Debby & Sunday at Village Vanguard do you prefer?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

1. OJC
    2. K2
    3. JVC XRCD (Alan Yoshida remaster done at A&M in Hollywood)
    4. APO hybrid SACD (Redbook layer)
    5. Japanese imports
    6. Other (box sets?)

I have the two APO discs (Doug Sax remastered) and prefer them to the standard OJCs, although I haven't heard the K2 or XRCD versions.

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Are we only talking digital?

3. Wie Gehts?

For my interests, yes. Good point, though; I've asked the moderators to change the title to specify "digital" so that vinyl-only folks can pass it by.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I only have one copy of each, but I think they sound nice.

I can post exactly which label when I get home from (this factory of aggravation) work. :help:

5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

You might do a board search, because this has been covered multiple times already.

6. Wie Gehts?

I'm sure it has but there are new members added every day and I'd be interested in their opinion, as well.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have the OJC, SACD and XRCD of Village Vanguard and none of them are stinkers.

The OJC has some top end boost going on and sounds like it's from an EQ'd production copy maybe even with some slight compression.

The XRCD sounds like it's from a different, untinkered tape (possibly the master?) It sounds darker than the others but I'm really warming up to it after a few months.

The SACD sounds fuller than the OJC but is possibly from the same source. Not bad but I wish Doug had the master tapes to work with.

BTW, I still have al three of these CDs in my iPod. I haven't decided which one is my favorite yet.

8. Wie Gehts?

Why didn't he have the master tape? Is it gone with the wind for some reason? Thanks for your input.

9. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Well there all good i'm sure.....i have the XRCD it's great also the box with 3 CD's with everything they did that weekend and it's good too.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I don't think the tape is gone. Steve used it for the 45 so it does still exist. Maybe they didn't do a thorough search when doing the SACD.

Same thing happened with the SACD of Vince Guaraldi's Black Orpheus. The Doug Sax mastered SACD used a filtered copy tape while Steve's LP and CD used the master tape.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Look what I found:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1702357&postcount=32

One disc down. Now what's the best version of Waltz For Debby? :D

12. Wie Gehts?

Thanks very much for that, Jamie. I wish Steve would've elaborated on why he doesn't like the APO SACD.

13. triple

triple Senior Member

Sunday: I have an XRCD and like it.

Waltz: I ordered an AP gold disc via Amazon.com marketplace and received an OJC instead. It immediately ended in the "trade, replace or get rid of" corner of the shelf, where it lay a couple of years. Then I suddenly read about OJC being wonderful, recalled that I had it, pulled it out and realized that its track listing goes like this:

1. A
    2. B
    3. alternate take of B
    4. C
    5. alternate take of C
    6. D
    7. alternate take of D etc.

Thus the OJC quickly went back in the "trade, replace or get rid of" corner of the shelf again.

Then I lucked into a sealed VDJ-1536 two weeks ago and have not been able to get myself to open it since. I stare at it and then I think that it has been 22 years since it was sealed.

Goran

14. alanb

alanb Senior Member

I think in the past some SACD's do not have the right tone or timbre and sometimes they add reverb.
    This is just stuff i remember reading comments about.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

BILL EVANS TRIO LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD.

There is only one "master tape like" version: The JVC XRCD. All others wonk out in one way or another.

Of course if you don't like the sound of the masters, forget it.

Edit: Oops, I see this was covered in an earlier post, sorry.

16. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Case closed-Boss has spoken.:) :wave:

17. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

Village Vanguard XRCD sounded a lot fuller than the OJC to me (more of everything especially the low end) so I passed the OJC on to my brother. Get it if you can. Great little package

BTW My XRCDs had more timbre with my old VRDS Teac player/Naim amp than with my new Sony player - The strecth would have been even larger with that set.

The few AP SACDs including Waltz that I have are okay but from memory -nothing special. I do not have VV SACD though.

18. Steve Hoffman

WALTZ FOR DEBBY BOONE.

The XRCD sux (at least it does to me).

Did Doug Sax master an Analogue Productions GOLD CD? My brain sez yes. If so, that would be the one. The SACD has issues.

The OJC folds in the channels, naughty.

Was there an early JVC from the 1980's? Pre XRCD? That would be good as well.

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The CDs I have of these on Riverside(?) sound absolutely amazing.

Regardless of the version, two essential albums.

I do wish these jazz labels would leave off the unnecessary alternate takes though, or at least stick 'em on after the regular programme has finished playing.

20. alanb

alanb Senior Member

oh ...no..... i'm confused...
    i thought the JVC (the good one according to SH) was the XRCD....:confused:

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Steve sez:

Village Vanguard XRCD= Good
    Waltz For Debby XRCD= Bad

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Doug Sax did master an AP gold CD, CAPJ 009.

23. Steve Hoffman

THAT version sounds great. Thanks.

This is WALTZ FOR DEBBY.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Sunday at the Village Vanguard disc to get is the XRCD that was mastered by Alan Yoshida at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood: JVC JVCXR-0051-2.

Turmatic likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Alan Yoshida, yes. Trust no other JVC engineer in the XRCD era. The goof on DEBBY for them was using an EQ dub on Debby. Not on Vanguard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.