Ray Charles - "Birth Of Soul" 3 CD Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joe Koz, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam Thread Starter

Ray Charles - Ray Charles - "Birth Of Soul" 3 CD Set

I need more Ray Charles in my collection, I have Steve's "Best Of Vol. 1" that he did with Ray some years ago. But, how is this set from Rhino? Does it have the usual *smiley face eq* that Bill Inglot is famous for? And, are the original mixes used? Thanks to all in advance! :)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You need to get the complete Atlantic box that came out a while back, all flat from the original tapes.

I've not heard the Rhino, but the one I am talking about (which I can't think of the name of right now) is really great.

3. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Joe, as you may already know The Birth Of Soul covers the Atlantic years only and so there is no doubling up with the stuff Steve did, except I think for What I Say which is on Steve's Uh Oh comp.

I've had the BOS box for years and it's GREAT!! Ray was at his absolute prime during those years and importantly wrote most of the material. The songwriting almost dried up completely when he left Atlantic. A real mystery. Maybe Steve can shed some light on the reason Ray stopped writing.

Sound on the box is fine. Mostly mono except for the tracks from the last year or so.

4. Joe Koz

Peter is the BOS the same box Steve is talking about? Reguardless, I'll pick up anyways, I saw it at BMG for 15.99 + postage, you can't beat that.
    Steve, Peter, thanks.

5. Joe Koz

Also, is the 45 mono single version of "I Can't Stop Loving You" ever released on CD?

6. Steve Hoffman

The one I'm talking about is on ATLANTIC not RHINO.

7. Joe Koz

Ok, I got it!

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Steve I think you might in fact be talking about The Birth Of Soul. It's on Atlantic and contains (I think) Ray's complete Atlantic r'n'b recordings (no jazz).

The Rhino one is 5CDs and spans the whole career. It's called Genius & Soul: The 50th Anniversary Collection.

9. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I wouldn't want to ever be without this set....only have other single disc comps, so I can't compare it to the Atlantic set.

10. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Hi CM,

You really ought to get The Birth Of Soul for the 30 or so additional Atlantic-era tracks missing from the Rhino box.

11. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Thanks Peter - as you know, your recommendations always mean a lot to me...consider it added to my 'must purchase' list. You will most likely find me enthusing about it on this board sometime between now and Christmas....

12. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

.....and it looks like Steve likes it too!! :)

Actually I've been tempted to buy the Rhino set many times, but with The Birth Of Soul and Steve's various DCC (silver) cds I figure I've got a good chunk of the tracks already in pretty good (er.....I mean perfect!) sound.

13. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Is this the one Steve is talking about?

14. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yep, in fact that's the one we've all been talking about!

15. Matt

Matt New Member

"Birth of Soul" was mastered by Ted Jensen in 1991 (he also did the Queen of Soul box set by Aretha Franklin, also part of the ATCO/Atlantic remaster series). I think the only real mistake done on the "Birth of Soul" set was using the incorrect masters for a few minor tracks. I think they were Lp masters that were EQ'ed or something, maybe some added echo. Regardless, it's a great set.

The Genius of Soul box set is a really cool looking package and you won't mistake it for Birth of Soul. Black, spot-varnished box, five discs (each in really cool, opaque jewel cases made up to look like pianos), a great booklet with some braille on the back...Rhino does the best packaging, hands down. I think most of the set was mastered by Doug Sax, with the Atlantic material credited to Dan Hersch, but there's also a credit for digital transfers given to some others. I believe Bob Fischer was one of them. It didn't sound bad to me, but I've never compared it to Steve's tube mastering of the same material.

16. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I have the Rhino box, which I really enjoy, but under the auspices of "Steve recommends it," I just ordered the "Birth of Soul" set. It is impossible to have enough great Ray Charles, which is probably an oxymoron.

17. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I know this is an ancient thread, but I got this box based on Steve's recommendation (what else is new? LOL), and it is fantastic. I can get the warmth and flat transfer out of it that, I think, makes Steve's work so pure. A wonderful set. If you don't have it, get it!

18. Steve Hoffman

Glad you like it.

Dig the sound of "I Got A Woman". That is sure 'nuff right from the original full-track radio station master tape. Just love that sound!

McLover likes this.
  19. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Me too! Some of that old 50s r'n'b sounds so good.

I love the 2 old rhino New Orleans CDs for the same reason.

20. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

The funny thing about Atlantic's "Birth Of Soul" 3 CD set is that the entire contents (150 minutes) could have easily fit onto a double CD set.

Unfortunately the set was released at the height of the box set craze and Atlantic obviously wanted to cash in.

The material is definitely outstanding and deserves to be re-issued in a more accessible format...
    -wolf

21. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Which ones are you talking about, Peter?

22. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Ah, the CD generation. When anything under 70 minutes is unacceptable. ;)

I like 50 minute CDs and actually find them more accessible than longer discs (LP generation, I guess).

In this particular set I like having three discs because, for me, the third CD has a much different feel than the previous two. Plus there is a very cool book that might not have been included if they had issued it as a two CD set!

23. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

The Best Of New Orleans Rhythm & Blues, volumes one and two, released 1998. RS 75765 & RS 75766.

Love 'em!

24. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I wanted to thank everyone who reccomended this in this older thread. I finally picked the set up from BMG no less and am enjoying it now. Thanks again..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.