Q: Hunt EDA vs Milty Super Exstatic?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sushimaster, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone here know what the differences (if any) between these two brushes? They both look similar, but does one clean better than the other?

Hunt EDA

Milty Super Exstatic

- Sushimaster

2. Toka

Toka Active Member

They are likely essentially similar (according to the second link the Milty is the same as the Goldring, which has been touted as a clone of the Hunt for a good while). I'd go for the better price in this case (if there is one).

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I might be the only person with this problem, but I just got the Hunt brush, and the carbon fiber brushes leave scratches all over new records. I don't think they are audible, but they definitely mar the surface. I have made the choice to stick with a pure felt brush and use the Hunt to scrape off my other brushes. I'm not letting it touch my LPs again :shake:

4. florette69

florette69 Forum Resident

There's no relevant difference. A carbon fibre brush is a carbon fibre brush, and is the most convenient and safe way to keep records clean. I don't think the design has changed noticeably in thirty years.

5. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Senior Member

I use the Milty super exstatic and I´m happy whit it.

6. Blumenkohl

Blumenkohl Member

I never noticed this with my Goldring Super Exstatic.

7. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those of you with the Super Exstatic brush, does the carbon fiber bristles extend out past the felt pad? In other words, if you lay the brush on a flat table, will the brush be resting on the carbon fiber bristles (with the felt pad slightly lifted), or does it rest on the felt pad when you lay it down?

- Sushimaster

8. Neta

Neta Forum Resident

it looks as though they are the same brush rebranded. I own the Hunt and it felt a little akward to use at first but it works very well.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have enjoyed my Hunt EDA. I have not had the scratching problem Sam has detailed...bit stumped by that. Maybe a manufacturing defect?

10. doak

doak Senior Member

I have both - they appear to be identical.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't think it's defective. These are carbon brushes, and they are stiff. Rubbing something with that amount of stiffness across a delicate, reflective surface is bound to leave marking IMO.

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem :confused:

12. woody

woody Forum Resident

i haven't noticed it with my hunt brush either, which i've had for about a year, but i'll pay a little more attention and report back.

13. I've had 4 carbon fibre brushes; this is the first time I have ever heard of carbon fibres being stiff.

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I have the Milty and it has the same problem as your Hunt.

The felt pad under the bristles is to be used to pick up the debris the bristles leave behind (which is most of the debris - as the bristles pick up almost nothing.)

In order to contact the felt part of the brush with the record surface, you have to push down somewhat hard - and this forces the bristles, unfortunately, into the grooves too much, inadvertently.

The result is sometimes, something I can only describe as occasional miniscule squeaking sounds - from the marks left by the bristles.

I still use it on rare occasion, but never the felt pad underneath, and only with the lightest pressure.

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yes, unfortunately the bristles do extend much beyond the felt pad.

16. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Sam, I know we discussed this a little bit before. But your brush sounds different than mine. I wonder if they are sourcing new materials to make the brush now.

On mine, the carbon fiber bristles on the edges are VERY soft, and barely extrude beyond the felt center portion of the brush. Just enough to extend into the grooves when the brush is set upon a piece of vinyl. The fact that you are using the word STIFF to describe those bristles tells me they have changed materials. Another point, if you only use the brush by holding it over a rotating piece of vinyl, the path of the bristles will coincide with the path of the grooves, meaning there is little chance of scratching even if you have stiffer bristles.

HiFi Guy: If you start your platter turning and then set the brush down flat across the grooves of a record, you will notice most of the dust accumulating across the front of the brush. Now when you lift the brush, lift the front edge first but do the whole lift in one steady motion. This way any dust that does not stay caught in the front bristles or the felt will be caught in the rear row of bristles. It works more effectively this way. Until I realized it, I used to have to brush several times, clearing the brush of dust in between. Oh, and never use more pressure than the weight of the brush itself.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The bristles on mine are about as soft as a "soft" toothbrush. Maybe a little softer. Certainly if you ran a toothbrush across a new LP surface with enough force to pick up debris, it would leave marks. I do get your suggestion to only use in the direction of the grooves. However, I have marred up a couple of LPs now, and will not be using this thing again. Only felt brushes for me from now on.

18. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The bristles on mine would be worthless as a toothbrush. Way too soft. It does sound like ours are made of two different materials.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

My bristles are very soft as well...well below toothbrush level...

20. florette69

Is this an April Fool's?

21. Clay W

Clay W New Member

Got to be an April Fool's post/posts. Stiff as a toothbrush - come on. Who would press down with force greater than the weight of the brush itself. How many million of us have used the Hunt brush since it came out with never a hint of damage to a record. If the poster's experiencing this "damage" aren't putting us on, one can only hope they have no infants in their households or, if so, that the little ones are labeled "don't press hard, dummy".

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not putting you on. Stiff as toothbrush bristles was probably too strong of a comparison, but they are not feather-soft.

I'll see if the scratches left will show up in a picture.

23. florette69

Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I still have a Hunt EDA from 1981 (given away as a promotional item at the Harrogate HiFi Show) which still does what it should, and during the past three decades every record I own has been cleaned before and after each play with one of three carbon fibre brushes and none have suffered any 'damage'. Good grief. I still think this is a hoax.

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

If you need more than a light sweep with a carbon fiber brush before
    playing a record, then your records are not cleaned well enough.
    Dust (on the record surface) should be the only thing to be removed
    by brushing before playing a really clean record.

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well scratches did not show up in a picture. A black LP is not easy to photograph.

If folks are having good luck with their brushes, that is fine by me. I just wanted to offer up a different experience, by someone who was using the brush carefully, for its intended purpose. If anyone is in the north Texas area, I am more than happy to show you 2-3 LPs that were previously fresh/new with marring from the brush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.