The "LOUDNESS WAR" Video. Required viewing--In 2 minutes, understand what it means!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Some of you may have missed this great short video by Matt Mayfield. It shows how the "Loudness War" is damaging the sound of compact discs and digital mastering. Featuring the intro of "Figure Of Eight" by Paul McCartney.

As SH Forums member Billy Budapest states: "This is a video/audio demonstration of the effect of "modern mastering"--and how it robs music of excitement and "punch."

Everyone, please watch. Turn your volume up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

So simple that even record company execs could understand it.

Thanks! Message received loud and clear.

3. tps

tps Forum Resident

How much things have changed between this and "Memory Almost Full".

4. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

I've been pimping this video on various forums since the first time I saw it last year. There are some great articles written on said subject as well. T'is a shame that the execs who work for the "big 5" and the RIAA don't care as much about sound quality, as they do about their money. Which is kind of ironic, seeing as how if they did care a bit more about SQ, no doubt that consumers would appreciate it, and thereby want to purchase more albums.

But then again, there's that pesky problem of industry born bands who pump out music not for the art of it, but for the glam and fashion of pseudo hipster/trendy MTv-ites, which really contributes zero to the industry except a cash cow. Priorities are funny in that biz.

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Viva Matt Mayfield. Man, what a great demonstration!! Hello!!

6. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Great education!

7. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Great demonstration. Thanks.

Does this apply to new LPs sourced from a digital recording too or only to CDs?

8. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

I love this video, I've shown it to so many people. I couldn't, for the life of me, explain the loudness war to my girlfriend, and after I showed her this video she understood it immediately :thumbsup:

9. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

It doesn't get any simpler than that. What an excellent demo of a serious problem! Loved it last year; love it now.
    Bob.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Could we send it to every music label?

11. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

The video should be in the new glossary and reposted every six months!

12. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

This deserves a permanent 'sticky' status....right below the welcome/rules thread. I've never seen a clearer, more concise explanation of the loudness issue.

13. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Mainly CD's and digital downloads. LP's sourced from CD's might have the same nasty dynamic compression, but they're not going to be as ear-bleedingly loud due to vinyl's dynamic constraints.

Thanks for making this required viewing, Steve. I love showing this video to people and subsequently turning their lives around.

14. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I posted this link in the previous Loudness War earlier today. I was shocked when I first watched it. I'm still shocked that any producer would alter the sound of the mix so much.

I've shown it to all my "musician" friends. I think I've ruined modern music for them. :D

15. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

VERY impressive!. Even through my really crappy computer speakers I can hear the difference more than clearly.

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I like it so much I use it for my signature and quote by Matt:thumbsup:

17. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

even with these facts there are still many people who insist that making a Hit and a great first impression sells more product, than a quality product, that needs more time and better equipement to appreciate.
    With other words : "Forget that, gimme a Hit is all what matters today. Kids buy Ringtones, not Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

18. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

19. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

And therein lies the problem: As kids & young adults abandon "physical product" for downloads....and the labels follow that lead...what is to be done?

I've spent enough time in my car to understand the appeal of compressed music in a mobile environment. There are a couple of cases where I have opted to rip a more compressed version of a song to put on my iPod to play in my car...one that I would never listen to at home because it's "too loud".

What I don't understand is why - if we must have super compressed music for download services - we can't we decent sounding physical product also? And available on both vinyl & CD...or better yet SACD. I'd support it!

Dexter

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

21. spinalcrackerbox

spinalcrackerbox Forum Resident

Thanks Steve, I thoroughly enjoyed this.

My concern is that the way that people listen to music is changed for ever. And where is there room for music mastering to go after "let's make all the quiet parts as loud as the loud ones"?

I'm hoping the backlash - at least for those who aren't on a solid MP3 only diet.

22. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

23. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Does anyone know where to get the original full-quality (pre-Youtube) video from? I've got a copy on my PC, but I cannot remember where it came from and searching for its file name (which I didn't change) in Google yields no results.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

$

25. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

It's right here:
    http://www.turnmeup.org/

BTW, I also vote for this as being permanently sticky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.