NEW 2CD Van Morrison Best of Coming!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

pig whisperer was kind enough to post the new best of in the best of Volume 3 post, so i add it here for those who might not look in there for info on this

Disc 1 -

1. Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile)
    2. Dweller On The Threshold
    3. Whenever God Shines His Light
    4. Moondance
    5. Bright Side Of The Road
    6. Brown Eyed Girl
    7. Wavelength
    8. Crazy Love
    9. Someone Like You
    10. When Will I Ever Learn To Live In God
    11. Tore Down A La Rimbaud
    12. Wild Night
    13. Gloria
    14. Real Real Gone
    15. Into The Mystic
    16. In The Garden
    17. Saint Dominic's Preview
    18. Stranded

Disc 2 -

1. Precious Time
    2. Domino
    3. Here Comes The Night
    4. Little Village
    5. And It Stoned Me
    6. Days Like This
    7. Have I Told You Lately That I Love You
    8. Cleaning Windows
    9. Baby Please Don't Go
    10. Back On Top
    11. Vanlose Stairway
    12. Celtic New Year
    13. Irish Heartbeat
    14. The Healing Game
    15. Full Force Gale
    16. Warm Love
    17. Did Ye Get Healed
    18. Tupelo Honey
    19. Wonderful Remark

Disc 3 -

1. Hey Mr. DJ
    2. In The Forest
    3. Queen Of The Slipstream
    4. Rave On John Donne
    5. Hymns To The Silence
    6. Crazy Jane On God
    7. Rough God Goes Riding
    8. Steal My Heart Away
    9. One Irish Rover
    10. Listen To The Lion
    11. Streets Of Arklow
    12. The Beauty Of The Days Gone By
    13. Take It Where You Find It
    14. Coney Island

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

In the piece about Van returning to Polygram it mentioned the re-releases were to have "expanded audio content". It also mentioned a new Van studion album for 2008.

Here's a link & scroll down

http://vanmorrisonnews.blogspot.com

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Hey, thanks for that. :righton: Care to join us over at the Van album-by-album thread?

4. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

5. DJ WILBUR

I've heard the Streets of Arklow on disc 3 today and was underwhelmed to say the least on the sound of this song on this collection. I compared it to the WB original and the polygram remaster.

i have to assume though disc 3 is a "bonus" disc, all the mastering sounds the same on all three discs? Anyone care to comment?

I wonder if this is the way the whole catalog is being done.

I dont let visualizations of wav files influence me, but this track doesnt look kosher to my eyes, seems the peaks, all stop at the same exact spot at 94.5%....when I looked at the old WB file, peaking at 49.7%, well these two wav files look nothing alike. doesn't even look like the same song.

I'd love to hear more about this release if anyone's done some careful A/Bing

also the glitch at 1:42ish sounds so overbearingly bad on this latest release, where on my original cd, its barely noticed.

6. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Does anyone know where I can get the 3 disc version at the best price?

7. sab

sab Forum Resident

How does this collection compare sound-wise to the Polydor remasters?

8. DJ WILBUR

no one seems to have much to say about this best of just out. I've only heard 1 flac file from disc 3...so its not for me to really say. still it convinced me to hang on to my WB Veedon Fleece cd.

9. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I'm with you. Unless/until I start hearing some REAL raves about some of these remasters - which I sort of doubt I will, because they'll probably be AT LEAST maxed-out, if not wonkily EQ'd and/or smothered in NR - my US WBs, WG atomic Mercurys and original Polydors ain't goin' nowhere ;)

10. DJ WILBUR

the file i got had a buzzcut . it wasnt 100% but it was a flat line and we're talking a subtle acoustic song, which should have looked nothing like this. visaully compared to the WB file of the same song, well it looked like a different song and wow, hard to believe really.

11. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Another greatest hits collection? Frankly, I'd rather see another Volume 2 of the Philosopher's Stone series.

12. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Which pretty much confirms my worst fears...:shake:
    I'm just speculating here, but methinks the remasters of the proper albums will probably sound similar.
    Thanks for the heads-up, though.

13. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

Now we're talkin'! :righton:

14. DJ WILBUR

well you gotta believe the "best of" is out just prior to the rollout of the remastered catalog so its all been worked on at once with the same team no doubt.

we'll know in a couple of weeks....

15. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

My mother got me the single-disc version (no "Into The Mystic" or "Blue Money" :() and from what I've heard, the sound is quite alright. Not any trace of NoNoise. A bit on the louder side...
    Mastered by Tim Young at Metropolis... where have I seen this credit before?

16. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the imported 3 cd version and I'm happy with the sound overall.Some tracks sound a little more compressed than the 90's Polydor versions I have but not that bad.The Moondance tracks sound dramatically better IMHO (better source tape used -perhaps?).For me the reason it's definately a keeper is the track selection-the best of the 90's and later tracks were picked:Hey,Mr D.J.,Celtic New Year,In The Forest, Back On Top,Hymns To The Silence and my personal fave Rough God Goes Riding.Not shure I will purchase the upcoming remasters but this compillation is a keeper for me.

17. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I compared the mastering of "Brown Eyed Girl" on the single disc comp with the version on the LEGACY remix/remaster of "Blowin' Your Mind" and they appear to be the same mix (and perhaps mastering) but the new comp is just a db or two louder.

18. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Just got the 3-cd version of 'Still On Top,' and I'm only a couple of songs into it. But one immediate observation - the packaging isn't much. The liner notes are soooo skimpy. Granted, most Van fans probably have the song info. But still, the one page of liner notes is really a recitation of album releases, and there's absolutely no info about the songs, other than the album on which most appeared originally. No photos, either. Feels like a missed opportunity. A little more effort could have gone into this. That said, I like the song selection.

19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

No "Tupelo Honey" either!

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I reserved the 3cd version of Still on Top today. Anyone else have thoughts on the sound quality?

Thanks. :)

21. JackLeslie

JackLeslie Forum Resident

I'll be looking for this.....

22. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

When did this version come out?

I stopped in Borders this afternoon and stumbled across the 3CD version of Still On Top selling for $28.99 (probably within 2 dollars of full retail price).

I had not even tried to pick up the 3 CD import when this title originally released due to pricing.

This is a domestic release evidently - see the New York address and the glaring FBI warning on the back. Did I miss the news on this release? How long has it been available as a domestic (US) limited edition?

Attached Files:

23. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

It came out two Tuesdays ago, domestically... A nice collection... I wonder if anyone has gotten the import vinyl?

24. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Well, disc one sounded good on the car stereo, but that was hardly a dedicated listening session, what with the myriad of distractions. Some great segments~sequence sections on parts of these three discs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.