Yes "Fragile" on MFSL Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nukevor, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

My quote above is taken out of context. It was directed at Jaime, in fun.

He doesn't dig Tales or Relayer, but I'd bet if Steve remastered them he'd take another listen.

The Rhino versions you mention are pretty heavily limited, sorry to say. I prefer the originals on Atlantic.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Apology Jeff, didn't mean to de-contextualise your reply to Jamie.

So, do the original Atlantics "breathe" more than the versions (Inglot, I think) I referenced? I may look for them.

3. Jeff Carney

Yes, they have lots more breath, of course, since there isn't a hint of compression on discs mastered back in the 80s. Tales is pretty dull but the tapes very well might be that way.

Relayer was done by Zal and was apparently EQd to match the original Atlantic vinyl. The Marino remaster from 1994 is very similar.

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

You are a very smart man! :righton:

5. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I have an early Relayer CD Manufactured in Germany. I have compared this to the original UK vinyl and the tonality is very close. Great sounding disc. I also think the original Tales sounds great.

6. Jeff Carney

I have the same one and it is great. This is identical to the US pressing.

Btw, the German issues of the stuff on Atlantic tend to have clearer artwork, which is the case here.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Don't encourage me.

:D

8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

As far as Relayer goes, I thought the original (domestic) CD was too bright in the treble and too thin in the bass. The edgy sonics made it impossible for me to get into the music. I ditched that CD pronto.

Even though it is compressed, I much prefer the new Rhino disk because it doesn't rip my ears to shreds. Relayer is the only Yes title in which I prefer the Rhino version to those that came before.

DiabloG likes this.
  9. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

FYI:I believe that much or all Atlantic product that was mfg'td in Germany was of our NYC US masterings

10. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Much consternation was spent on that release. The source tape we were supplied eeked of high end imbalance, which seemed that the previously released vinyl was ill of the same malady.

I proceded to try and match the vinyl as best I could.

Looking back, maybe the tape was CCIR curved vs. our US NAB inhibition.

But why didn't anyone else figure this out if this was the case....was the question I had then as I do now. So that probably wasn't the case.

PS> Matching the vinyl is not the best thing to do when the result is way off what you think it should sound like, but, again, the tape was a horrible obstacle initially and I DID try to overcome it to the extent I could.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

the Mofi is the best CD! Period!!!

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I bought the old Atlantic CDs of Topographic Oceans just last week. (All I had previously was the Gastwirt remaster).

I gave it another listen and didn't dislike it too much it's just there's so much waste going on. Endless scales and tangents that still aren't fully developed even after minutes of noodling. There are some great ideas in there, they're just so hard to get to.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:ignore: :whistle:

14. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Thank you, Jamie.

(Pssssst. Gastwirt.) :righton:

15. Jeff Carney

So far, every single one I have tested is digitally identical.

Did you send them glass masters in those days, Zal?

16. Jeff Carney

I've come to agree. It has just slightly less top end than the Gastwirt and that works well for me. When I compared the Gastwirt to a Piros-cut Atlantic LP, that was the one difference I really noticed. The Gastwirt was just a bit too crispy in comparison. The Mofi seems just about right to my ears.

Still, the original Atlantic is probably what the tapes sound like.

17. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I hear the complete opposite. The MoFi is "sharper" and has more "bite" in the higher frequencies. Whereas the Gastwirt is "well-behaved" even - or especially - at higher listening levels.

Of course, YMMV.

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Well, my Atlantic Gold (remastered by Gastwirt) sounds fine, but I do prefer the Mofi over the Gastwirt mastering (IMHO).

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's what I'm hearing too. The MoFi is a bit too bright and forward sounding. The Gastwirt has a more natural tone.

20. Jeff Carney

I'd have to revisit them but yes, I heard the opposite. Bruford's hi-hat on the Mofi, for example, sounds really crisp without being crispy, and the Gastwirt seems to take that sound just a tad too far.

21. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Anyone try Gastwirts Yesyears

I know it's a box set compilation but It always sounded really good to me, and it was done when the master tapes were 20 years old or less. I just got my mofi Fragile today (my first cd version of it), I'm curious to see if "Heart of the sunrise" on the MFSL gold cd beats the one on Gastwirts yesyears box, which I think sounds incredible.

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

YesYears is no-noised and apparently the tapes are in great shape with no deterioration...(those that are actually found that is...side two of CTTE...I'm talkin' to you!!!)

23. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

so is the gastwirt '94 HOTS essentially the same the same as the '91 yesyears one? Generally I dont do a lot of comparing because I find it drives me nuts and leaves me not enjoying things , but I prefered the CTTE on yesyears to Atlantic 1st cd (Diaments, disc made in japan) and the rhino, it seemed like the yesyears had more hiss which is what I thought no noise removes?

24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

The Gaswirt HOTS on the Fragile disc is a different mastering than the YesYears one...

You are in the minority with CTTE, though...the Diament mastering is generally thought to be the best so far...

Maybe someone who has done the specific comparison between these could help this person...

or you could just use the search function here...there are countless pages on this very topic...

25. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Yes, it sounds very close to a UK vinyl album I have. Very dark/muddy but I like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.