Dylan SACD Pre-Orders!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Red Trumpet has started taking pre-orders on the forthcoming Bob Dylan SACD's. They are running a special where one can either purchase them seperately, or in one of 2 groups for $99.99 each, or both groups for $179.99:

SACD Group 1: The Essential Dylan
    The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Blonde on Blonde
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Nashville Skyline
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Blood on the Tracks

SACD Group 2: The Connoisseur's Dylan
    Slow Train Coming
    Street Legal
    Planet Waves
    Oh Mercy
    Infidels
    Desire
    Love & Theft

One thing that seems interesting to me is, they do not list Time out of Mind as one of the titles; an over site perhaps?

Also, several of the titles are listed as being multichannel:

Slow Train Coming
    Blood on the Tracks
    Blonde on Blonde
    Bringing it All Back Home
    Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Love & Theft

Individually, Red Trumpet is selling the discs for $17.99ea.

As you may all know already, the discs are to be hybrids, playable on both CD and SACD players. As for the validity of the multichannel listings, that is questionable considering Sony announced these titles as stereo only releases. The anticipated release date is 19 August, 2003.

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Group one is sure hard to pass up. It comes out to about $14.28 per disc plus postage.

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I sent an e-mail this morning to Rick Flynn at Red Trumpet. He and I go back to his "Quality Vinyl & CD Outlet" days. I haven't yet gotten a reply; he may be at HE 2003. I'll post his reply as soon as I get it.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I believe they announced that Time Out of Mind and the Royal Albert Hall titles were pulled from the initial batch. No word as to if they will be issued in the future, although I would think they would be eventually.

5. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Where's John Wesley Harding?

Ryan

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Dylan's official website has apparently confirmed that those titles will, in fact, have a multichannel layer. I still can't understand why Another Side gets a 5.1 mix while Nashville Skyline and Planet Waves (which were released on quad in the '70s) do not.

I would imagine that the rest of Dylan's catalog seeing SACD release will be contingent on how well the initial batch of titles sell.

7. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I just spoke to RT to preorder, and they said they just added JWH to the list.

8. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Individually, Red Trumpet is selling the discs for $17.99ea.

As you may all know already, the discs are to be hybrids, playable on both CD and SACD players. As for the validity of the multichannel listings, that is questionable considering Sony announced these titles as stereo only releases. The anticipated release date is 19 August, 2003. [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe that they are selling the individuals for $16.99:) I think, at this moment; that I will pick and choose, mostly from the 'Essential' batch.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

SONY themselves have announced them as MC, Red Trumpet is already taking pre-orders, and you STILL don't believe it???

My question is--what the hell kind of 5.1 mix is Another Side going to get when I can't even discern any separation on the Stereo version???!!!???

10. GoldenBoy

Well, it wouldn't be the first time SACD titles were listed incorrectly, however, since a few people here have stated that Dylan's own website and Sony themselves have confirm it (which I was unaware of) then I do believe it. What I don't understand is why a title like Oh, Mercy is not getting the multichannel treatment. Go Figure.

11. GoldenBoy

Re: Re: Dylan SACD Pre-Orders!

I stand corrected, and I apologise if I have mislead anyone. The price for the individual titles is indeed $16.99ea.

12. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Quite. But it is very strange that some titles will be multi-channel and some will not. There seems to be little or no rhyme & reason to the choices. It might have to do with the survival of the multi-track parts, but I sort of doubt it.

13. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

If these are truely hybrids, this is no deal.
    Circuit City will have them for, at least, $13.99 each, regularly priced.
    That is the best thing about hybrids, regular stock inventory!

Oh man, I never thought I would get to hear a correctly remastered Desire in my lifetime.
    I thought the SBM were going to do it but they were scrapped for some reason.

Doug

14. Larry Geller

And since Sony, in their infinite wisdom,have decided to NOT port over Desire's quad 4.0 mix (which absolutely DESTROYS the stereo mix), you STILL won't (same thing applies to Nashville Skyline & Planet Waves, although their quad mixes aren't as effective as Desire's)! :realmad:
    That reason being SACD!

15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Who needs quad? I'd prefer mono where appropriate.

16. Larry Geller

All 3 albums I mentioned never came out in mono. Of course, I'd love the monos up thru John Wesley Harding, but it doesn't look like we'll get any of them. :mad:

BTW---I NEED QUAD!!!

17. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Since JWH was a friend to the poor, Sony execs have ordered the masters bulk erased. :rolleyes:

18. GoldenBoy

Well, at a price of $191.99 for 15 titles w/ the free shipping option, that comes up to $12.79 per disc. That to me is a pretty good deal, especially considering I won't even have to pay the newly increased NYC sales tax of 8.622%!:o Neither Circuit City, Best Buy, or Tower could ever best that for me as, even when ordering online from those stores, I would have to pay local sales tax, and the shipping most likely wouldn't be free either.

19. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

After reading about Sony's somewhat less than meticulous storage and inventory of their master tapes, I'm guessing that we may have some missing multi-track tapes.

I seen where they are still looking for Nashville Skyline.

Would love to hear Lay Lady Lay in 5.1

20. Peter Allen

Peter Allen New Member

IIRC, Steve Hoffman at the time himself mentioned that there was a temptation to remix Highway 61 Revisited because the multi-track masters were there, but decided that, initially, an accurate archival remaster of the original stereo mix was the way to go.

That makes only producing an SACD stereo H61R (the one early Dylan album with a decent CD master available) one of the quirkiest of the quirky decisions regarding multi-channel.

Clearly, a multichannel HW61R is as possible as any of the selected albums, and of course the independent SACD and CD stereo cuts on all the multichannel SACDs are still there for archival versions (pity about the mono mixes for the early albums - one day perhaps).

It's not even a matter of the 5 most recent albums being put out in multichannel, or the albums from the short-lived quadraphonic era. I can't escape thinking the only reason 5 out of the 15 initial releases are multichannel is time.

Peter

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's right, Peter, and welcome.

Those HWY 61 8-track tapes were all gathered up and were sitting in Bob Irwin's office.

I'm glad I didn't remix though; the original mix has so much friggin' character and history to it. I might not ever have been able to duplicate that sound.

22. Peter Allen

Peter Allen New Member

Room ambience coming from the right places for once?

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.