MFSL Beatles LP price?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

Okay, I'm tired of looking for good, affordable UK imports of the Beatles stuff. What should I expect to pay for a good condition MFSL set?

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

If your talking the MFSL box I've see mint ones for between 600 -1,000

3. Jamie Tate

Thank you.

Is there anywhere else I should look besides eBay?

4. Jamie Tate

Also, is there another alternative to this set? I see people mention a British set. Is it as good? Is it cheaper?

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I paid well over 900 dollars for my set, but it was (and still is) in mint condition. Only two of the LP's have been played, and then just once. There are no scratches on the LP's.

The art-booklet is also in pristine condition. The sleeve that the Geo-Disc is in shows signs of wear, but that's it.

I've seen Average sets go for about 650 on Ebay, and I've seen them go for over 1300 dollars.

6. Jamie Tate

Thanks Pretzel, er, Tyler.:) ;)

Is it worth the money? Are you happy you bought it?

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

The blue box Beatles collection (BC-13) IMO is better and cheaper, about 200.00 or so.

8. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

the blue box is the best deal, you usually can get one for about $150.
    Most of the pressings are great, but I'd get MFSL copies of Let It Be, Abbey Road and The White Album as well as a german Magical Mystery Tour, plus the red and blue sets to get all the singles (plus rarities if you're really a completist)

9. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Si Senor!!!!!:D

10. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I've never played the records (turntable is on the mainland). If you are a collector of either The Beatles, or MFSL (of which I am both) then you won't be dissapointed.

Yes I'm happy I bought it, but right now I can't enjoy playing the vinyl. When I bought it, I thought I'd be heading back to the mainland. But it looks like I'll be in Hawaii for another year or two.

The artbook in the package is stellar, the front and back of all the LP jackets are right there in handy book. It's a really sturdy, well put-together package.

11. Jamie Tate

So, you guys are suggesting I should buy the blue box instead of the MFSL? Are these almost as good as those original pressings? Are they all stereo versions like the Mo-Fi?

12. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

MFSL is worth getting, but I'll pick up the blue box sometime in the future. You should just get both!

13. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

All stereo and almost as good. Yeah, that descibes them. I listen to those versions most of all the hundreds of Beatle albums I have

14. Jamie Tate

Thanks for all your advice guys.

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Now you're talking. W/ the kinda money Jamie makes, he should be buying a set for each of us!!! :D

-Jeffrey

16. Jamie Tate

A few more questions about either the Blue Box or the MFSL...

Does either one of the Peper's have the stuff in the run out groove?

Are these the ORIGINAL mixes and not the the 1970's remixes such as I Am The Walrus, etc?

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

MMT is a stiff, both the Parlophone AND the MFSL. Avoid both like the plague.

The blue box is made from the 1960's and some early 1970's Parlophone metal plates.

You need the RED box; the MONO Parlophones. Now you're cooking! Then the 45 RPM EP's and singles.....

18. Jamie Tate

Thank you Steve.

I had no idea there was a Red box.

19. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

You can probably even do better than that. I picked up my BC-13 on e-bay for 129.00 plus postage. If you're at the right place at the right time. But even at 200 for a mint copy it's well worth the money IMO.

I think you get more bang for the buck with the BC-13.

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

A 1981 issue.

Had all the UK mono LP reissues.

Not very easy to find.

21. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Rare find a red box. You're better off buying the 80's mono rereleases individually, I think.

22. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

My Dutch Blue Box has the Sgt. Pepper runout groove intact although my tonearm usually picks up before the gibberish starts. My arm didn't return one day and that's how I discovered it was on that pressing.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The Mono set came in either a Red or Black Box the records are the same. The Red box is rarer but other than color there is no difference. The Red box generally sells for $1200, the Black box for $800-$1000. However you can probably find a set of the individual reissue Mono's for about 1/2 that if you want to hunt them down and they are the same pressings.

As far as Stereo pressings, the Blue box is a nice tidy way to get all the UK pressings together at a cheap price (expect to pay $175 - $200 for a mint box) but you can usually find the 70's pressings in laminated sleeves for between $15 and $25 each, they are quite plentiful.

Unlike a lot of others on this forum I would recommend that you get a MOFI box first. They will only get harder to find in Mint condition as time goes on.

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just one last word although the 70 UK EMI pressing used the same plates as the original pressings, they do not sound the same. The original B&Y Parlophones and to some extent even the 1969 one box EMI pressings are substantially better than any other pressings that I have heard. However find truly MINT copies are almost impossible and will easily cost you 2 to 3 times (in the case of Sgt. Pepper and the White album even more) the amount of a Mint Mofi copy.

25. Jamie Tate

I just got one.:)

I'll be working on getting a blue box next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.