Yes - The Yes Album (early Atlantic CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imagnrywar, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I also compared the original Atlantic CD to the Gastwirt CD.

The Gastwirt CD is probably from a better tape, and it has more pleasant eq with a better bass sound, although it sounds a little hard sometimes. But there are some spots that sound like noise reduction: Check out the intro to I've Seen All Good People.

The original Atlantic is slightly preferrable, but with its weak bottom end, it is not in the same league as Barry's Close To The Edge.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Unfortunaley, the Japanese vinyls of CTTE were no good. I feel sorry for all the Japanese who got stuck with lackluster copies of the greatest album ever recorded. You need to check out the MFSL! Original Broadway labels are good too.

3. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i recently found a used original CTTE 1841 b'way pressing and can varify this. is very good. :thumbsup:

the album jacket is slightly textured, too.

later, chris

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well I'm very happy with the Canadian late-70s reissue I have now.

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Although I have, in knee-jerk fashion, replaced many "original" CDs with the new (early-90's) remasters, I always thought that original Atlantic Yes Album CD sounded great, and probably couldn't be noticeably improved upon. If only I'd had the sense to be a bit more critical of the whole "Digitally Remastered!!" hype when it began...

6. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

RE: CTTE on vinyl--

IMO, the original Atlantic US is preferable over the MOFI, due to some right channel dropouts during the first minute of "Siberian Khatru". Listen to Bill's ride cymbal and you'll hear it.

These dropouts are on the MOFI as well as most CD issues of this title...
    Haven't heard the Canadian vinyl, but I bet it's good too! :thumbsup:

7. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I don't dig the the Atlantic vinyl of CttE at all. Maybe the 1841 Broadway is better as I recently listened to a later pressing, but talk about EQ! That thing sounds pretty sizzling to me. I'd love to hear an early UK vinyl cut.

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Jeff, do you know if the one you listened to was cut by George Piros?

9. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

I'm guessing :Relayer, but I thought Zal Schreiber did that one for the first CD release.

The first Fragile CD fits that bill. Significantly less top end on that, than on all subsequent remasters of it.

Since SH has experience with the Fragile mastertapes, and more or less implied they required some helper EQ, maybe he can verify whether Fragile is the one you're remembering.

10. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

And the ones he didn't do, were done by George Marino at Ocean View.

11. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

From what I've read, only 'one side' of the Rhino CTTE is from master tapes. The other half has gone missing. Ditto the multitrack tapes.

Don't ask me which half, because I don't remember!

12. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I believe it was, but I am not 100%.

I haven't really searched the forum on this issue, but I am starting to suspect that Piros EQd the living daylights out of some of the vinyl he cut.

This might account for, say, Fragile sounding "dull" on the original Atlantic release, which it has been reported actually sounds quite similar to the original UK vinyl.

13. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

In my opinion the Rhino is marred much more by poor EQ choices than by whether or not the actual masters where used.

14. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

I agree, large mastering moves would swamp generational loss, unless we're talking LOTS of generations. Btw, it's side two that seems to be missing some masters:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=16826367

"In terms of upcoming DVD-A releases, Hurley said Warner planned an additional 30 DVD-A discs by years end. Included in this group will be DVD-A discs by Madonna, Seal, R.E.M. (4 discs), Neil Young (4 discs), Cars, B-52s, T. Rex, Brian Wilson Live, Frank Sinatra (3 discs), Doors (2 discs) and Little Feat. Hurley also indicated that he would like to issue Close to the Edge by Yes on DVD-A but the master tapes of Side 2 of the album had yet to be located."

That was back in 2003. Unclear whether he meant multis or two-tracks, though one would expect it was multis, given the context. But from memory of stuff on pro audio ngs and private emails from certain folks on same, I seem to recall that the two-track masters are also not fully at hand for the 2004 CD remaster.

15. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

I guess they're still looking for them. :shrug:

16. John Cantrell

I almost feel like a heretic.

Taking a cue from Andreas, I also sat down and took a closer look/listen at these two CDs - original Atlantic and 1994 remaster - we'll leave the Rhino out of contention for this. Anyway, I find myself now leaning slightly toward the Gastwirt, warts & all. Yes, it's far from perfect. But like Andreas said, the original is mighty anemic sounding.

Barry, IF you did this one, sorry. But they sure didn't give you much to work with in this case, did they?

:hide:

Okay, but I'm not going down easy, guys. I'm prepared to fight for my membership at SH.tv with teeth, nails & claws :winkgrin:

17. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

You're allowed to have your flawed opinion. ;)

Just out of curiosity, why'd you leave the Rhino out of your test?

18. John Cantrell

Ah. Words of "encouragement". :winkgrin:

IMHO, the Rhino is EQ'd to hell and back. Way out of proportion to what the album would require.

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

That's ok if ya don't like it!!!

I for one haven't heard the Gastwirt for a long time....might have to check this out again....

BTW why did Rhino reissue Close to The Edge as a mini-lp and cut out the bonus tracks last year?

20. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I always liked the sound of the original Atlantic 'The Yes Album' CD. The other issues seemed a bit unnatural sounding.

21. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

So you did take it into consideration. :p

22. John Cantrell

Paul, don't expect a sonic revelation. It's a more matter of "picking your poison", if you catch my drift.

Andreas' assessment I quoted above is spot-on. On one hand you've got a pretty thin sounding original from dubious sources. On the other, unquestionably better tapes but a bit harsh in places.

And like I said, I'm only leaning slightly in favor of the Gastwirt.

I don't know about your Close To The Edge question, sorry. The Rhino was tossed as a pretender, as in this case the original Diament Atlantic has yet to be beat, IMO.

23. John Cantrell

Weeeeellll, all three are sitting on my shelf :winkgrin:

24. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

For the same reason a dog licks...

25. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

That said, it was cool to hear the 'demo' version of Siberian Khatru.

(There's a demo of the title track, with some missing vocal parts, circulating in trade circles too...incredibly clear sound quality for the first half of it, then it sounds like massive tape head misaligment kicks in during I Get Up I Get Down. Too bad! )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.