Recording Studios with working vintage tube consoles?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mr. scratchy esq, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. scratchy esq

mr. scratchy esq Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know how many current commercial recording studios out there have original working tube consoles? I can only think of Toerag with an EMI REDD, Vincent Gallo with an Altec 250, and Cello now East-West (I think) had a UA 610 based console. Is that it? Any other UA, Langevin or "original" custom built boards out there? I know that most of these didn't survive the transition to transistors and stereo and were chopped up for their mic amplifiers.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Don't know of any that are still around.

I had a little experience with a UA tube console, but it was a very little. I actually removed it from a studio and sold it to Neil Sinclair, who later went on to start Theta, but this was back in 1978. I have no idea what he ever did with it.

It was in a rather small control room and it heated it up like an oven.

3. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

I've read that some old REDD desks from EMI are still in use - tho not in commerical studios for the most part. Lenny Kravitz's collection comes to mind.

4. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Don't know for sure, but check Allen Sides, I bet he might have one in use perhaps?

I have known Allen from the "old" days since around 1970? Don't know this for certain, but would suspect he has an old tube mixer around somewhere. He likes tube mics.. Have not spoken to him in a decent while now.. Rolf E.

5. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

In the liner notes to the T-Rex Electric Warrior SACD, Tony Visconti mentions that Looking Glass Studios in NYC "is a bastion of vintage gear", a good thing because he "wanted this version of Electric Warrior to sound like it was recorded and mixed in 1972, if surround sound was already available."

From their website: "At The Looking Glass Studios we take a great deal of pride in our equipment. On hand is an amazing array of classic analog gear including pieces by Neve, Focusrite, API, UREI and many other legendary manufacturers. Each of our studios boasts a stable of equipment that gives the room its own unique pallet of sounds to draw from. Please explore our microphone and instrument lists as well."

Check out this link for more details:
    http://www.glassnyc.com/gear.htm

6. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

If memory serves me correctly, Elliott Smith collected old tube studio equipment and did much of his recording on it. I believe it was all sold after his untimely death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.