Male singers you thought were Female or vice-versa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 8tracks, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

I thought "I Won't Let You Down" by PhD was sung by a woman.

2. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

I'm surprised we got this far without a mention of Sonny and Cher. When I first heard I Got You Babe, I thought Sonny was Cher and Cher was Sonny. (The singing, that is. Sonny's moustache gave him away in person.)

3. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

Geddy Lee of Rush (at least on "Fly By Night");
    Darren Hayes of Savage Garden.

4. Xico

Xico Forum Resident

My wife thought Nina Simone was a man the first time she heard a recording. She loved it, anyway.

5. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

I Can't Tell You Why by the Eagles... thought that was sung by a female

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Good one :righton: and Love Will Keep Us Alive as even more femiine - Both by Timothy B Schmitt IIRC.

Was that sung by Larry Lee (the drummer)?

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I thought maybe Nick Gilder was just the guitarist or something. It sure sounds like a woman singing. Now that I know it's a guy, it sounds like a young teenage kid.

I also thought it was a woman until I finally got the album. very convincing!

Hitchin' A Ride - Vanity Fare I paid attention to the lyrics, but I still thought it was a woman singing.

Ai No Corrida - Quincy Jones
    It sounded like a woman to me...

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm still not sure they aren't!:D

9. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

:righton:
    by the way, I recommend Ace's expanded edition of Feelin' Bitchy

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Their cover of "You'll Never Get To Heaven(If You Break My Heart)" was great though.:thumbsup:

11. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

When I was about five, I thought Lou Christie's and Leo Sayer's falsettos (falsetti?) were female singers.

12. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Countless 80's hair bands!

But one that freaked me out was the lead singer of Mr Big. Anyone remember "to be with you"? I thought that was female for a long time, even after watching the film clip!

I thought Tracy Chapman was a guy for a while! (By hearing her, and the front cover of her debut album arent good grounds to judge!)

13. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

My mother thought the same thing. :shh:

14. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Not to dig on Tracy though, she's brilliant! One of the best female singer/songwriters ever.

15. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I knew who he was and I knew about his condition before I heard him, but my wife sure thought he was a woman. Wonderful music, especially the early stuff.

Several counter-tenors, before I knew what they were. After THAT paradigm-shift, I'm able to spot the difference.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I somehow was not familiar with "Baby Don't Go" until I started listening to oldies radio regularly in the 80s. Not paying much attention to the lyrics, I thought it was a guy singing--shocked to find out it was Cher.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:agree: Me too, I had forgotten about that one.

18. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

Little Jimmy Scott

19. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Another one that fooled me is "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," which is supposedly a duet with Michael Jackson (male) and Siedah Garrett (female). I sure can't tell them apart.

20. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Good call! I know the first time I heard "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" I thought it was a woman too.

21. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

And all of Cher & Sonny & Cher's records were sped up until 1971. So her voice is even lower than it sounds on the 60s material.

Chris Montez. The A&M stuff anyway.

22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I think the jury's still out on Leo :laugh: He's great though (that duet with Gary Numan excepted).

23. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Not sure if this counts, but if you play the B-side of the 45rpm 12" of Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" (which is a live version of "Nutbush City Limits") at 33rpm, it sounds just like David Thomas of Pere Ubu.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Unless I've missed it, no one's mentioned the dude from Supertramp yet. The first dozen or so times I heard "The Logical Song", I thought it was a woman (obviously, I was not paying close attention to all the lyrics).

25. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

It was mentioned in parenthesis on page 1. But I agree. I went for two years believing that the lead singer of Supertramp was a woman. (And I absolutely love 'The Logical Song' - regardless of the gender of the singer)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.