Obscure UK/US Pop-Psych Round Table Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Just wait for the Marketplace sellers to get into price wars. That CD isn't going to disappear right away - and it will definitely get cheaper when other sellers get enough copies. Right now no one has it in stock in the US. I better get my copy soon or I'm going to be pissed... all the work I put into it ;) :D

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I just received RLPD from amazon us. It's swell!

3. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Blossom Toes shootout?

Anybody have the new Sunbeam reissues of The Blossom Toes "We Are Ever So Clean" and "If Only For A Moment"? I have the original Japanese Polydor CDs of these (not the bootlegs) and they sound 'my-T-fine' to me. Other than the bonus cuts, do the Sunbeams have better mastering or source tapes that would make them a must for 'Toes fans?

4. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Is the version on Acid Drops is the same as the one on Deram's The Freakbeat Scene? I believe that version is the re-recorded one.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was playing Les Fleur de Lys last night, and thought it was interesting how side 1 was such pure Brit psych, but side 2 consisted of tracks after the psych sell by date, and they were definitely moving towards harder rock territory. It was still pretty good, though. Did any of these guys have carreers in later, more successful bands?

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I think that Gordon Haskell is the most well known of the bunch. Besides King Crimson Haskell had a huge UK hit a couple of years ago.

EDIT: Chris Andrews was also know as Tim Andrews I believe. Don't think he had big hits though.

7. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I've been following this thread with great interest, but noting significant to contribute. I'm finding that a lot of titles mentioned had short releases and now got for big $$$. (Jason Crest, various comps, etc.)

I spent a bit of time here, and was really delighted with their "Things Go Better With Coke" commercial that contains the lush harmonies and melodies missing from their second album. It is in the zip file at:
    http://leftbanke.larryhovis.net/lbisms1.php

8. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

"Gong with a Luminous Nose" is an interesting track that I've been playing a lot lately. The vocals sound sound kind of airy and psychedelic, but those guitars are pushed well to the forefront like proto-metal or something, especially during the Hendrixian breakdown/solo section. Nice combination.

As a Who freak it's hard for me to admit, but I think Les Fleur de Lys' version of "Circles" trumps either version by the 'Oo.

9. Gazman

Gazman Active Member

Some good stuff on these...can you still get them?

I love the 'Rifkin' track...I've been looking out for this one recently.
    I used to have it on a long lost C90!

10. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

No. Long gone. I used to trade my own CDR projects with Andy but I haven't heard from him in a while. It's hard work so I suppose he just stopped doing them. New stuff is getting harder to find as well.

11. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I just checked out all of their 1968/69 tracks and there's nothing as cool as "Pools Of Blue" (which was actually a 1968 out-take not released until 1991!)

"Early Morning" (1968 A-side) - nothing special
    "Mr. Sunshine" (1968 B-side) - not exactly psych, but really catchy. fantastic harmonies.
    "I Can't Go On Without You (1968 out-take) - nothing special
    "Eden Unobtainable" (1968 out-take) - nice mellotron, but not a great song
    "Brother Thrush" (1969 A-side) - pretty good, but not pysch
    "Poor Wages" (1969 B-side) - nothing special

The remaster of the first album is on sale at CD Universe at the moment. If you like The Moody Blues it might be worth picking up... :agree:

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Great info. Thanks a lot. It sounds like I will put this on the backburner..although I do like the Moody Blues in the sixties. I have always been a sucker for the Mellotron.:)

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

What's the best sounding Gandalf out there? I used to have the See For Miles cd, which I foolishly gave to my brother when I bought the recent Capitol reissue on lp.

I don't know if the Capitol is a Scorpio, but I bet it is. It sounds ok in most parts but has pressing defects or groove damage which cause bad distortion in several places. Anyone else have this? Is the problem endemic?

Also, didn't Sundazed also do an lp of this? I know I've seen two different vinyl versions floating around.

14. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Any love for the British band Magic Carpet? Their sole album released in 1971 went on to become a highly sought-after collectors item. When they discovered that the album was commanding such high prices, they formed their own label and issued it on CD. I think that was about 1994. It was also issued in a limited run of vinyl, as well.

It's a really nice blend of folk/psych/pop. Clem Alford's work on sitar is very nicely blended into the mix and I really enjoy singer Alisha Sufit's voice.

Clem Alford also issued a solo sitar album in 1972 which has also been reissued on CD. Very nice for those who appreciate the Indian influence. Alisha has also issued some solo material over the years, too.

In 1996, Alisha and Clem rejuvinated the name Magic Carpet and issued a CD of all new material (oddly enough entitled Magic Carpet II). Jim Moyes (electric guitar) and Keshav Sathe (table, percussion) are not on the new album. They have been replaced Pandit Dinesh and Esmail Sheikh on tabla. It's also a very nice album much in the spirit of the original LP.

Any fans?

Cheers,
    Chris

15. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

I'm no expert on this one, but I hear some distortion on the CD, usually on the vocals. I have the See For Miles edition. I never upgraded to Sundazed or whoever else put it out. If anybody has the newer remaster can you tell me if you hear distortion on it? By the way, I think their cover of "You Upset The Grace Of Living" is really good, one of the real highlights on this album.

16. Jack Son #9 Dream

I was listening to some tracks from Nuggets II today. One song that I can't get enough of is "Gone Is The Sad Man" by Timebox. I love this song like it was a Beatles song, it's that good. Did this band make an album? I'd love to know if they did anything else.

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The Timebox CD Deram Anthology (which I think is out of print) is worth selling a family member for - or maybe a limb. It's one of the finest reissues of a 60s UK band ever IMO. A truly amazing band. The first song I ever head by them is their cover of The 4 Seasons "Beggin" which blows the original out of the water. Hate to do this to you but if you like "Sad Man" you've got to find the CD. :cool:

EDIT: no, I don't believe they made an LP as Timebox. All singles and unreleased tracks IIRC.

18. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yes, it's a goodie! I bought this disc after hearing Gone is the Sad Man on the Psychedelic Scene compilation CD.

Cheers,
    Chris

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Beggin' showed up on an old British Invasion LP back in the 70s I think. I remember getting an album for Elton John's Lady Samantha and I'm pretty sure that's where I first heard Timebox and Honeybus. Timebox were just a stunning band. They did everything, soul, jazz, pop, psych. How they didn't get a few major hits is the amazing thing.

And I was wrong. They had one album (later) as Timebox but I don't know if it was the orginal lineup or really Patto.

Here's Jon Mills' review on Allmusic (he gives it 4 stars which is 1 star light):

Timebox's 1968 blue-eyed soul take on the Four Seasons' "Beggin'" may be the most known of their Deram output, but it is on other recordings from 1967-1969 — all featured on this album — that their unique style is defined. Both sides of the fives singles Deram released are featured, including the soul-meets-Summer of Love ode "Walking Through the Streets of My Mind"; a perfect approximation of Philly Soul, "Girl, Don't Make Me Wait"; the haunting Beatlesque psychedelia of "Gone Is the Sad Man"; through to the novelty pop of "Baked Jam Roll in You Eye"; and its ferocious hard-rocking, almost punk, flip "Poor Little Heartbreaker." All of these, and the remaining singles sides, are very, very good! But the real meat of this collection, however, is to be found among the unreleased sessions that were meant to make up a 1968 album. Here, the magic of the Patto/Halsall songwriting partnership clearly comes to light. And astoundingly over half of the 24 tracks on this album consist of these often bootlegged wonders. "Barnabus Swain," "Tree House," and "Eddie McHenry" all fit in neatly with the finest pop-psych sides of the era. Whereas the later, hard rock numbers "Black Dog," "Stay There," and "Timebox" are the perfect vehicle for Hallsall's coarse lead guitar and Patto's soulful voice, while more straight-ahead pop, instrumental jazz, and rock are tackled with as much verve and passion. The Deram Anthology is a wonderful testament to Patto and Halsall — now both dead — and should help put Timebox in the top league of 1960s rock, which they so much deserve.

20. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I don't think Sundazed did an LP release of Gandalf; at least it's not on their site now. They do have a great-sounding CD release available, though. As Jack wrote, the vocals are distorted in places, especially when Peter sings loudly, but I believe that is intentional for psychedelic effect. It isn't horrible distortion or anything like that. (I love the way he sings in such a dreamy manner; he's like Colin Blunstone in that regard.)

I only have the Sundazed CD issue and nothing else to compare it to, however.

21. glea

glea Forum Resident

I have origials of both :D and that non lp single... but the bonus trax make these reissue attractive.... you don't want to know how much I paid for the albums.. ok, I'll tell ya: $1.69 and free. Both are what you american's call Minty Fresh.

ta da

22. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

The Sundazed Gandalf CD is excellent, and you'll also want to pick up the recent odds and sods disc, Gandalf 2.

Here's a cool comp if you're a Timebox fan - some BBC tracks:

Shapes & Sounds...Orange And Red Beams From The BBC Archives

1. Jenny Artichoke - Kaleidoscope
    2. You've Been Cheatin' - Gentle Influence
    3. Hey Grandma - Montanas
    4. Beggin' - Timebox
    5. Headin' For A Heatwave - Spectrum
    6. Colonel Brown - Tomorrow & Keith West
    7. Stay There - Timebox
    8. Step In The Right Direction - Montanas
    9. Blow Up - Tomorrow & Keith West
    10. Girl Like You - Timebox
    11. You're Never Going To Get My Lovin' - Montanas
    12. Real Life Permanent Dream - Tomorrow & Keith West
    13. Music - Kaleidoscope
    14. Omaha - Montanas
    15. I Take What I Want - Spectrum
    16. Yellow Van - Timebox
    17. Always Be A Part Of My Living - Gentle Influence

23. Jack Son #9 Dream

Thanks! I know what I'll be looking for now.

24. Jack Son #9 Dream

I have the reissue CD. This was one of those albums that I new nothing about, but I discovered somehow and took a chance on it. I love sitar and I love female voice and I love mellow folk, so obviously this one was a winner for me.

I'd like to hear that solo album from 1972 from the sitar player. Does it have vocals on it, or is it all instrumental?

25. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

It occurred to me this morning that there are many songs which I would classify as being heavily (or indirectly) influenced by the sound/instrumentation of "A Whiter Shade of Pale." I'm thinking of stuff like "Reflections of Charles Brown" by Rupert's People and "The Wind" by Groove. I'd like to make a comp of songs from our chosen period which have churchy organ, melancholic presentation, mid-tempo pacing, et cetera. If anyone could make suggestions, maybe just post 'em here if you think of any. (Since we're all here every day :) , I thought it would be easier to ask the question this way instead of starting a whole separate thread. Please carry on discussing all the stuff we've been discussing, but any help with my little side project would be greatly appreciated.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.