How bad does the remastered Bowie's Low sound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Electric, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would expect that they did have the master to cut from, before Bowie or producer sent it off to NY for it's use there where it stayed until that deal expired.

2. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I've uploaded four samples that I made a few months ago -- I just didn't realize that I had been granted access. Anyway, none of them were Low, but I can upload samples of the Au20 this weekend. Thanks for putting that site together, Keith.

Here's the link again:
    http://needledrop.wikispaces.com/David+Bowie+CD+Comparisons

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thank you, Ivor! :righton:

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I haven't seen this mentioned here before (apologies if it has) but...
    there are THREE Ryko versions on cd - not two.
    First silver edition
    Au20 gold disc - different mastering - supposedly improved
    Second silver edition using exactly the same mastering as the AU20 gold disc.

I have two silver Ryko's of "Young Americans" and they are totally different - as one is mediocre and one is better, obviously from the later, Au20 series mastering. Both have the same catalog numbers, but different matrix info, and somewhat different packaging.

So, the point is, you don't have to hunt a mega-buck gold disc to get the Au20 mastering, but the trick is finding out how to visually discern which of the silver discs are earlier mastering, and which are the later Au20.

The following details may or may not apply to "Low" and I'm sharing only to help someone find a better sounding cd without paying ePay prices:

Earlier Ryko silver "Young Americans" RCD 101040
    Standard jewel box, black inlay tray.
    Flat label paint, silver cd hub
    Matrix: MADE IN USA RCD 10140 01@
    Matrix is easily read from play side of cd

Later, improved, silver "Young Americans" RCD 10140
    Green transparent jewel box, picture of Bowie behind tray
    Glossy label paint, clear cd hub
    Matrix: DISQUE AMERIC 02PH2(910)RCD10140
    The matrix info here has to be read backwards on the play side of the disc, as it's face up under the painted label

Keep in mind someone may have swapped jewel boxes, or perhaps some improved versions came out with plain boxes, or vice versa. Go by the matrix info.

I would assume the same rule applies to all of the other Ryko Bowie cd's.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

HiFi this is all good to know. I just dug out my Ryko to look at it really good and see wuz up.

Well, mine looks like the first mastering and not what might be the later. But mine is the BMG club edition, so it has all different numbers in center anyway.

But I will look around and see if I can find this possible secret remastering from friends collections.

6. HiFi Guy 008

Let's hope this doesn't cause prices to jump again on ePay. Hopefully the hoarders are more concerned about gold rareties than sound.

The second silver Bowie Rykos aren't really secret remasters - (but I get your gist).

I lived in Boston at the time of release of these Ryko cd's and I remember quite a bit of disappointment with the initial Bowie Ryko vinyl and cd releases among store owners and fans - and more anger at the increased price of the later, better sounding Au20 versions.

The later silver Rykos are really just the Au20's released as regular Ryko silver cd's.
    I call them Ag20's.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Pressed in Canada, huh?

Just checked my copy of Elvis Costello's Live at El Mocambo. It's a Disque Americ as well. Did the Au20 series come out in the early 90s?

8. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

So it all gets more complicated. I have most of the Rykos but no idea which versions. I have a mixture of green case, standard case and BMG editions (the BMG editions seem to be mostly green case). If anyone has knowledge of which matrix no. matches which mastering, that would be interesting. Otherwise what do we do - upload lots of samples and matrix numbers?

Tim

9. onlyconnect

... and there is also the Ryko-era EMIs to think about. Did EMI ever revise the mastering?

Tim

10. HiFi Guy 008

I've read on earlier threads that at least some of the Ryko-era UK EMI cd's sounded better than the US Ryko's - and I suspected at the time they used the Au20 remasterings, but as I've never heard or seen one - don't know. Someone stated they preferred their Ryko-era UK EMI versions to any other on cd.

I do have Ryko-era EMI Bowie pressings on vinyl, though. But I guess that's another thread...:)

11. HiFi Guy 008

When did the BMG versions come out?
    What's the matrix - any consistencies?
    It would be funny if they turned out to be the Au20 remasterings.

12. onlyconnect

I think the opposite view is equally common. I compared a couple of them. In one case they were digitally identical. In another case they were different and I preferred the Ryko. I think the former was MWSTW and the latter Ziggy, but I'm not 100% sure.

Tim

13. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Notably the standard Ryko Young Americans disc was an alternate mix -- maybe that's the reason this it was later fixed? That's just my theory though, it would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has two Ryko aluminums.

14. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Nine years ago, I found this in a cutout bin - sealed - for $10. This was when Ryko lost the rights and the catalogue was changing over to Virgin.

Sounds good to me.

15. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

Sounds good to me too. Wish I had it.

16. ivor

ivor Senior Member

As promised, I've posted samples for the Au20 editions of Low and Station to Station:
    http://needledrop.wikispaces.com/David+Bowie+CD+Comparisons

I picked both of these discs up from thrid-party sellers on Amazon.com for under $20. Even now, Low is $25+ plus shipping. Not bad compared to Heroes, which is around $70.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Ivor,

Those sound really good. :thumbsup: Dare I say, better than the RCAs? :shh: I'll have to listen to them on my system soon.

Thanks for posting them!

18. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Same here. I've got BMGs (with no inner tray photo), and retail editions with and without inner tray photos.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

we need running times to figure out what the discs are. Just total running times please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.