Gene Ammons' Boss Tenor: RVG or K2?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Electric, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

So, which one to get, the RVG remastered or the 50th Anniversary 20 bit K2?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Old OJC CD from 1988 or so. Flat transfer.

McLover likes this.
  3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Rats, the boss beat me to it. :D

BTW, not to be off topic, but what was the Cannonball Adderley track that you played at the Head-Fi in San Jose? :shh:

4. triple

triple Senior Member

What about the XRCD? Is it not one of the good ones, like Quiet Kenny and Sunday at the VV / Waltz for Debby? It is perhaps a bit trebbly, but I cannot tell if it is supposed to be like that as it was recorded with extreme reverb added.

I used to have a German 20 bit remaster and it was terrible, so the XRCD was a big improvement over that. I would also expect the XRCD to beat both the K2 and RVG.

I would not normally go into this, but this album happens to be one of my favorites...

Regards,
    Goran

5. Electric

Thanks Steve. I guess this is the one:

1987 CD Prestige/OJC 297

6. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I like the XRCD, nice dynamic range.

Black Widow and Bill Mac like this.
  7. Electric

Since I'm having no luck finding the 1987 release, I'll look for the XRCD. But has anyone heard the RVG and can comment or compare?

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The Concord website lists all three versions. If you want the straight-up reissue that Steve recommends, it's catalog # OJCCD-297-2.

Kevin

9. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

10. Electric

AMG shows that cat# as the 1991 issue. The 1987 issue is just plain 297. Question is, would both of these have the same flat transfer?

1991 CD Prestige/OJC OJCCD-297-2
    1991 LP Prestige/OJC OJC-297
    1991 CS Prestige/OJC OJC-5297
    CD Prestige/OJC OJC-297
    1960 Prestige PRST-7180
    1967 Prestige PRST-7534
    LP Prestige 7534
    1997 CD JVC 33
    1999 Prestige 7180
    1987 CD Prestige/OJC 297
    1997 CD JVC/XRCD 33
    2006 CD JVC Victor 41549
    1994 CD Ojc 202972
    2000 CD Ojc 202972

11. Electric

Just ordered from Newbury comics at $6.95 + $2.80 shipping. It's the 1991 issue and I really hope this is the same flat transfer as the 1987 that Steve mentioned.

I also added two more CDs with no additional shipping charges: The soon-to-be-released 're-recorded' Glenn Gould, Goldberg Variations SACD ($13.25) and the Doors remastered/remixed 1st album ($8.95). This is my first order with Newbury and they seem great so far.

Thanks Gary, Kevin and all.

12. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

RVG all the way.

13. Electric

What??? You're saying that the recent RVG remaster is the way to go? If so, have you compared?

14. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

I have both copies, and I think the RVG is more crisp sounding. Plus, you get really detailed liner notes.

15. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

CRISP? That is an understatement.

Can we know what gear you are using? Your equipment profile is totally blank.

16. Electric

John, you're saying crisp is bad, right? Too trebly, too digital? Can you elaborate?

17. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

Who cares what I'm using?

18. Electric

Hi Dan,

Actually, I checked for your gear as well right away. It just provides more perspective for us on your point of view and how you hear based on what you're hearing with. I'm sure there's no potential criticisim intended but there could be an interesting discussion if you're up for it.

19. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

I should probably remember that a lot of people here are very technical. I'm not really a "waveform" kind of guy. :) I just approach it more on "feel." The RVG brings out more of Ray Baretto, which is never a bad thing.

20. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

This site is heavily into discussion of mastering and recording so, when you fill out your equipment profile this helps us to better understand your opinions on sound and mastering that you make via your posts. This is simply a part of the "sense of community" here amongst members, many of whom have been contributing for as long as (5) years.

Thanks!

Bob & The SH Forums Team

McLover likes this.
  21. Electric

Here's part of the April 6, 2007 review of the RVG remaster, by Samuel Chell over at All That Jazz:

As for the remastering, I've come to regard these RVG editions less as “improvements” than as ”reinterpretations,” or “adaptations,” of the original audio balance for present-day listeners' tastes. To my ears Watkins' bass has been overly boosted and brought too far forward in the mix, while Flanagan's piano has been deprived of some of its former presence. No big deal, unless your playback system is a Kloss Tivoli or some similar device without equalizing controls.

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Too Bad I just bought the RVG remaster. However it is listenable and I did not have any version of this before, except a well worn vinyl twofer.

I also liked the original version of Horace Silver's Song for My Father better than the RVG remaster. I always put content before sound, but sometimes the sound is so bad it prevents you from enjoying the content (not the case here). I still like to get the best master I can, otherwise I wouldn't be visiting this forum and spending long green on "gold" software.

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

IMHO, there has been an important evolution in Rudy Van Gelder's remasterings. Many Blue Note RVG remasterings have indeed been sonic reinterpretations of the recordings, with drastic manipulations of tonality, dinamics and stereo spread.

But in the recent times (the Blue Note RVGs since 2005, and the Concord RVGs), his remasterings sound very similar to the intial CD releases, except that they are louder. I've heard some CDs where this maximisation lead to bass distrortion, but other titles sounded ok, just no better than the previous CD version.

So my conclusion is that the Concord RVG series is entirely superfluous, since the initial OJC releases already have the bonus tracks and sound fine. If you want the best sounding digital version, get the DCC or XRCD (where available).

24. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

The 1st CD release of Song For My Father I believe was worked on by Ron McMaster and is more natural sounding. Great writing and musicianship.
    I heard the RVG series last year for the first time and felt that some of the sound stage and air around the instruments seemed to be missing. Try and find the earlier release used through Amazon or Half if you have the time. It is one of those titles that is worth the effort IMHO.

25. Electric

Finally got this and I'm astounded!!!! The sound on this $6.99 OJC CD, mastered by Kirk Felton in 1987 is fantastic! And what great music. Love the bongos.

Steve and others, if you're reading this, THANK YOU, MAN!!

Now, what else can you recommend with sound like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.