McCartney and Starbucks: it's a done deal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stan94, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Let's see.... 3 females in their late 20's/early 30's. Twelve males ranging from 19 to mid 50's. The girl who picked Dream Away is a Monty Python freak and owns several different versions of the movie... she said she has always loved the song. Her second fav Harrisong is What Is Life, a bit more conventional choice. She's also selected You're Sixteen, Instant Karma and Live and Let Die...(at least she picked SOLO songs).

BTW...Aspinall has left Apple. Jeff Jones, VP at Sony, has been named new CEO... There's a new thread discussing this :righton: Ron

2. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

April 10, 2007 -- Undercover (Australia)

Paul McCartney Memory Almost Full

Paul McCartney has christened his upcoming studio album 'Memory Almost Full'.

The album, his first since 'Chaos and Creation In The Backyard' was produced by David Kahne (The Strokes).

McCartney is investigating new business models to promote the album. For starters, it will be initially released through Starbucks in the US and generally through Concord Music and distributed through Universal.

The album is said to reflect his Beatles and Wings period and will include a 15 minute suite, similar in style to side 2 of 'Abbey Road'.

'Memory Almost Full' will be released on June 5th.

3. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I wish they would stop saying David Kahne is the Strokes' producer. They released an EP and their two biggest selling albums without him. He produces 3/4ths of the latest record (which although quite good, tanked badly at retail), after the band didn't click with N. Godrich, and now he's apparently "their" exclusive producer?

4. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I like the title. Pretty fast between albums too. Only 18 months since C & C. Kind of rare for a major artist these days.

5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

It sounds like a book title.

6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think it may be because he had some extra tracks in the can already. Or at least songs (and song fragments) written.

7. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Rumoured tracklist for the new McCartney album, as posted on the Starbucks site:

http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/_/2007/03/starbucks_to_la.html

MEMORY ALMOST FULL

ADVANCE TRACKLISTING

1. To Be Said
    Based on the poem. A short string quartet piece. Delicate.
    2. Bring the Dawn
    Huge production number, mellatrons to brass, booming drum.
    3. Memory Almost Full
    Nice pop song (see Driving Rain), likely first single. Some electronica.
    4. Love Hear My Thunder
    Stones-like rocker. Peak Wings.
    5. Robber of Soul
    Funky jazz/brass number, unlike anything in catalog so far.
    6. Cracks in the Earth.
    Elec piano ballad, sounds like a chaos track.
    7. Buy the Farm
    Solid rocker, Steve Miller-ish.
    8. It Happens Every Time
    Tight tight rocker, best song here.
    9. Silent Water
    Piano/organ/electronica song- nice lyrics.
    10. God Damn Rock 'n Roll
    Sounds like a BTTE outtake- almost punk.
    11. Pizza and Fairytales
    Most Beatle-esue- reminds of Return to Pepperland.
    12. Pictures in Song Suite
    Almost 15 minutes- a true song suite, divided into four movements- most people won't get how good this is.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That non-scientific survey tends to support my thesis that the post-Pepper albums dominate the consciousness of the casual fan or non-fan. Still, it's a bit surprising to see Pepper itself fare so poorly.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Well, at least "Bushy Cushy Tushy Jelly Jam" didn't make the final cut. :p

I'm now officially on the edge of my seat waiting for this. As I've said before, if this is Driving Rain, Part 2, I'd be very happy with that. Interesting to see that there are some "electronica" touches to the music, although, to the layperson, that could mean just about any use of synthesizers or keyboards.

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Great post guys! You can say McCartneys rocking fire went out, or that I'm keeping the flame alive if you want, but when I listen to recent music I hear something totally different.

Lonely Road - This song rocked
    About You - This one really rocked and should of been performed live.
    Promise To You Girl - I can just hear the treatment his current band would give this one, it would rock live.
    Rinse The Raindrops - Another rocker
    Flaming Pie - This baby rocks
    Used To Be Bad - A great Texas blues rocker

These are just some examples of recent rockers, so there's no way that his rocking fire is out!

His age has nothing to do with it, he just finished singing Helter Skelter almost every night in concert, and then rocked the Grammies with it as well, the man can still rock! He just needs a producer that will encourage him to really go for it!

Beatlejwol, all songs don't have to rock out for me to like them. I mentioned Too Much Rain just because it's a very good song.

Musicfan76, do you really think that people don't remember Silly Love Songs, My Love, Uncle Albert, and Another Day, three of these were #1s and all over the radio?

This album is sounding better and better!

11. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

"Pizza and Fairy Tales" is a John Lennon quote that previously served as the title of a McCartney bootleg. That makes me doubt the authenticity of the track listing, although admittedly it wouldn't be the first time McCartney used a Lennon quote as a song title.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

He has definitely used that kind of song title before - witness Flaming Pie.

13. Mike D'Aversa

Wasn't "Used To Be Bad" another 50's blues ballad in the vein of "Oh, Darling"/"Call Me Back Again", from 'Flaming Pie'? Maybe I'm wrong. It's been a decade since I last heard it...

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

No, it's a blues rocker without any of the charm of the aforementioned tunes. IMO, Used To Be Bad is one of the worst songs I own on cd, and I own 4000 cd's.

15. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

Maccafan:

Boomers remember those songs like an old habit, of course. People under, oh say, maybe 27 or 28 or 30....they know the ones I mentioned, and would recognize the above songs as being McCartney most likely...but not sure they would roll off their tongues as a first choice selection nowadays.

16. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

You can't mention "Used to Be Bad" in the same sentence as "Oh, Darling" or "Call Me Back Again!"

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't think any of those songs rock at all. I don't care for Used To Be Bad. I don't think he could pull off "Texas blues" with a gun to his head.

18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

VERY non-scientific :) . I agree that the post-Pepper era seems to be more more well-known now. I was more surprised Love got any mention... but both of them love the album. Interesting to say the least. Ron

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That's the new product that's on the shelves.

20. Mike D'Aversa

Hey! Don't shoot the messenger! I was just pointing out that it wasn't a "rocker" (which, by definition, would have to be uptempo)... :)

21. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Didn't Paul first reveal that quote in Rolling Stone in 1986? That seems to be the first time I heard of it. McCartney said that he should name an album after the phrase, or that he almost did, or wanted to. I can't remember the details, but that's the gist of it. It's in the 1986 Rolling Stone with Paul on the cover.

The only surprising thing about that tracklist is that none of those titles are familiar. I think a few Driving Rain extras were named, but the only one I can remember is "Washington".

22. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Well, that's not too surprising since, according to producer David Kahne, the new album was recorded between 2003 and 2007. In other words, no "Driving Rain" outtakes.

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Not even "Lonely Road"? That was a great opener for Driving Rain, almost had an alt-grunge thing going on.

24. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Caution: Over the top Macca Fanboy Spewing w/Spoilers.

I was lucky enough to hear the full album last night. Honestly, I wasn't expecting the world - Paul seems to have a habit of following up a strong release (Chaos & Creation) with a dud. I'm happy to say this album exceeds all of my expectations. One of his best!

Five listens in (I'm guessing on song titles), here's a track-by-track:

1. "Everybody Gonna Dance Around Tonight" (title?) - Short album opener. Instrumentation includes ukelele (some similarities to Harrison's "Any Road"), kick drum (lockstep, martial beat) and whistling. Similar to "We're Open Tonight" in sentiment, the lyric is a trifle but track is brief/fun enough.

2. "My Everpresent Past" (title?) - Musically quirky (McCartney II fans will love this one), hooky and clever with great lyrics, addictive robotic rhythm, nifty distorted guitar riffs and terrific double-tracked vocals. Fully realized top-drawer Macca Pop in every respect. Opening line: "I've got too much on my plate - I've got no time to be a decent lover". A+

3. "Wanna See Your Sunshine" (title?) Creative, commercial pop love song with wonderful bass playing. Echoes of Linda in the background vocal department (as on "Run Devil Run", the vocal ghost of Linda shows up repeatedly throughout the album, as least to my ears). Middle section features a neat tempo change and fastly sung lyric. Romantic. Accapella ending.

4. "Only Mama Knows" (title?) Orgasmically great Power Pop! Back To The Egg-esque energy! Great vocal! Junior's Farm-esque gutbucket feel, quirky lyric, lots of Linda/Denny/Wings guitar energy. My early favorite, rocks like a bitch!

5. "You Tell Me" - Stunning, heartfelt, bittersweet non-silly, post-love song, Acoustic based with great confessional lyric (ala "Dear Friend") and astounding, emotional vocal. Very Wings - echoes of Denny and Linda abound. "When was that summer of a dozen words" (let the Heather/divorce lyric hunting begin).

6. "Mr. Bellamy" (title?) - I can't believe how great this track is; the odd, glorious musical structure and chord changes will surprise you at every turn. An A Cappella breakdown to die for. VERY early 10CC (think "Sheet Music"), with goofy vocal interjections (if you are familiar with 10CC's "The Worst Band in The World" you're halfway there).

7. "Gratitude" - Pop/gospel w/shouty, "Oh, Darling" vocal. Nice tune and interesting arrangement but overemoting vocal ruins it for me. Possible grower.

8. "Vintage Clothes" (title?) - not positive but I think this is the first track of the album-ending Medley, ala RRSpeedway/ARoad. Lyrically a modern-day "Dedicated Follower of Fashion"-a tongue in cheek (I think) sendup/lampooning of modern clothing/fashion trends. Possibly inspired by daughter/clothing designer Stella? Strong lyric, ultrahooky tune and great arrangement, w/Beatlesque swirly backwards mellotrons and highly compressed tack piano (the opening piano riff is almost identical to Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Love Me"). Perfect pop.

9. "That Was Me" (title?) Backwards drum loop, rockabilly guitar riffs on acoustic, with great dissonant piano stabs, ala "I Want To Tell You". Autobiographical lyric speaks of/chronicles events in Paul's childhood, The Cavern Club, success...

10. "Very Hard" (title?) - Top track, features Brian Wilsonesque vocal breakdown section (with vocodor!) and another strong autobiographical lyric.

11. "Hidden In The Yard" - moody, forboding, cinematic - think a darker "Beware My Love". Great lyric/arrangement, unexpected chord changes from heaven, screaming guitar solos and one of Paul's best vocals ever.

12. "The End Of The End" - touching, confessional album closer, unlike anything that Paul has recorded. The lyric speaks to how he would like to be remembered/celebrated after he's gone. A heavy lyric tempered by upbeat, song-closing whistling coda (echoing whistling on opening track).

13. "Nod your Head" (title?) - Silly, brief album closer, ala "Boil Crisis". Probably (hopefully) a bonus/hidden track. Musically similar to the also-hidden instrumental track that closes Chaos (sounds like the same session).

Sean Murdock likes this.
  25. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Goodness gracious -- if this description is accurate, we could have another classic on our hands! At this point, I'm just grateful that it's being released on such short notice; if we were hearing this stuff NOW and the album wasn't coming out until September, I think I'd lose my mind!

EDIT: Someone JUST posted an album description that is COMPLETELY different from the above -- so I think I'll go ahead and just lose my mind NOW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.