RVG edition of Kenny Dorham's "Quiet Kenny"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

I know the RVGs lean to the bright side in most cases. How are the sonics on this one? Thanks in advance!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the JVC XRCD version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Wie Gehts?

Thanks, but why so emphatic? Is the XRCD version a sonic masterpiece? Just wondering.

4. Steve Hoffman

Trust Steve. I was involved (uncredited).

5. Wie Gehts?

That's all I need to know! Many thanks for the tip, Steve.

6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Unlike most Blue Note RVGs, the Prestige RVGs are not on the bright side generally. The tonal balance is very close to the OJCs. Some are quite heavily maximised (Yusef Lateef).

After having heard 5 or 6 RVGs, I found no reason to try more. Their problem is that they have nothing to offer over the OJC CDs, which generally sound very good and already have the bonus tracks.

The Kenny Dorham RVG was the first I got. I found the sound ok, but I have no other version to compare it to. It's definitely not too bright.

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Any other titles that you can share. I have this XRCD and I do agree that it sounds wonderful. I'm curious if I have any more uncredited "Steve Hoffman specials". :)

Kevin

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Wow...VERY interesting to hear you were involved with that one Steve, of my favorite jazz LPs of all time - PERFECTLY paced record! Just bought a copy based on this news, this is a must have for me given the absolute top level quality of the music. A true desert island jazz record.

Some of the other JVC XRCDs are good sounding, others (to my ears) - like Blue Mitchell's BLUE MOODS - are way too bright - those definitely cannot be your work!

9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

So Steve, today I was reminded in looking through some catalogs that you recently did a 45 rpm vinyl version of QUIET KENNY with Kevin Gray...by any chance, was the same mastering used to produce the XRCD?

10. Steve Hoffman

The same mastering? No, but close.

11. Steve Hoffman

Bill Evans Trio, a few of the Riversides, can't remember the titles right now (too tired from Easter Egg Hunt Madness and screaming little 3 year olds)

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

These Bill Evans Riversides were released in the XRCD series:
    Everybody Digs Bill Evans
    Explorations
    Waltz for Debby
    Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    How My Heart Sings!
    Moon Beams
    Bill Evans Trio at Shelly's Manne-Hole, Hollywood, California

According to the booklets they were all mastered by Alan Yoshida at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood.

yasu likes this.
  13. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

How are these? These are my favorite Evans albums.

14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Listening to the XRCD of "Quiet Kenny" now...

What a beautiful tone he has on this session...even sounds like a flugelhorn at times...

And, it's got A.T.!!! :righton:

15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Awesome Scott...can't wait to hear it.

Just a question - have you by any chance heard Steve and Kevin's 45 rpm vinyl mastering of QUIET KENNY and if so, how's the XRCD compare? I got a chance to get a pretty good deal on the vinyl too.

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Weird - dupe post, can't figure how I did that, sorry.

17. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Can't help on that Tony...I have NONE of those 45RPM sets...

Too rich for my blood...hell...they make the $30 Classic Records reissues seem affordable...

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thanks Scott...I have a chance to get a few of the 45 rpm titles for $35 still sealed, including QUIET KENNY. Not cheap but more reasonable than $50.

btw your avatar and my avatar need to get together for a drum battle sometime (and we can invite bangsezmax's avatar as well)! ;)

19. bresna

bresna Senior Member

My avatar can kick your avatar's butt.:laugh:

20. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Can't...stop...laughing...

:righton:

21. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Manne, Roach, Taylor & Williams...all in "Drummer Heaven." :(

Will we ever see the likes of these giants again? Methinks not... :shake:

22. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

wasn't there a post where Steve mention which Bill Evans XRCD to get?

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Are you referring to post #10 in this thread?

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Post #10 doesn't specifically mention which Bill Evans XRCD(s?) he worked on. I'm still waiting, hoping that the Easter egg madness has worn off. :D

25. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I had to check quickly to see when I missed the death of Max Roach. I knew he had Alzheimer's Disease and was no longer playing...hadn't been for some time. As far as I can determine, although he's not playing anymore he's still among the living.
    Roy Haynes is about the last surviving and performing bebopper. Lots of great drummers out there, you just have to listen. Some of them are getting up in the years as well. Milford Graves, Sunny Murray, Don Moye, Jerome Cooper, Jack DeJohnette, Al Foster, Rashied Ali, John Betsch, Pheeroan AkLaff, Ignacio Berroa, Ronald Shannon Jackson...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.