Beatles 24-bit Remasters due June 1st ? *-Stereo/Mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hard Panner, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

WHat's wrong with that? I paid $2 for my Dual turntable at a garage sale! It's great! :)

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Well technically, yes. I bought a Pioneer PL-255 table with a Stanton cartridge (no identifying #s visible) a few months ago for a hundred dollars. I think most on this board would call that entry-level at best. But it sounds pretty good to me. I play it much more often than my cd player now.

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't ask you :wave: What model do you have? I have a couple of Dual's I like quite a bit. And there's never anything wrong with finding garage sale bargains. But a $100 turntable while certainly servicable, especially with a decent cartridge, isn't exactly the best bet to make sound quality declarations and judgements. Ron

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

5. Has anybody posted this info yet?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2489

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Probably been answered in the near 40 pages here. So forgive me for asking the obvious. But will the downloads have the same fidelity/mastering/remixes or whatever as the first batch of future cd releases?

7. More info here, including the fate of the Let It Be DVD (gulp!):

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251410,00.html

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

...they may be getting royalties from iTunes...
    ...there might be a special announcement during the Super Bowl...
    ...maybe there will be Beatles songs on iTunes by Valentine's Day...
    ...the remastered CDs could be on their way shortly afterwards...
    ...perhaps they'll sound better/worse/the same as the existing CDs...
    ...they may or may not have mono and stereo mixes on them...
    ...and there possibly might be expanded editions sometime after that...

Someone wake me when someone really knows something for sure. :yawn:

9. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

Doh! :)

10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I mean, come on, 33 pages and #660 posts and nothing definitive at all? Granted, we do have some insiders on here who have reported what will eventually be coming (maybe) down the road, and that's appreciated.

I'm guessing when tomorrow comes and goes, and there still aren't any songs on iTunes and there aren't any major announcements from anyone, there will be another 600 posts to discuss why it didn't happen!

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You got that right. Plus another 100-odd posts arguing about Abbey Road.

12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Exactly. I mean, granted, it's a "tradition" of sorts around here for Beatles threads to get way out of hand and vear wildly off course, but come on...

We're getting people now repeatedly posting the same scraps of rumors, asking questions that were answered (or at least speculated upon) much earlier... and frankly, I don't blame them, because it's nearly impossible to keep up with what's going on in this thread.

It would seem to me a much better idea to reserve this thread for solid (or semi-solid) information about what's actually going on, in terms of future iTunes/remaster releases, and leave the "I wish they'd do this" and "which pressing of Abbey Road is superior" stuff to the hundreds of other threads that already exist (or will inevitably be created) to handle that stuff.

13. brainwashed

Hey David... As one of those insiders, I must say nothing I posted has ever been 100% official. Sure, EMI sources have told me since last summer that remasters would be released in 2007. Originally, they were scheduled for Spring, but a few things have happened since then. Namely, the agreement between Corp and Inc., which will involve downloads. Also, the very real possibility that Aspinall will retire, or step down due to ill health.

The thing is, details (street dates) do change (and yes, I did say my sources expected a downloading announcement on Valentine's Day) not that the downloads themselves would be available this day. I don't think it's a stretch to say single CD remasters were the original plan back in 2006. In fact, some EMI executives were shown mockups of the new artwork last summer, and they appeared to be single CDs (except White Album). It now seems clear that Deluxe Editions of each album have been prepared, but Apple is unsure how and when to release them. From what I've been told, this WILL happen, but details, such as street date(s), en masse releases, etc... aren't known yet.

So here's what we know is official:
    1. The remasters have been completed.
    2. Downloads of the entire catalogue will be made available.
    3. The 13 core albums will be issued first.
    4. Apple Inc has control of the Apple "logo"
    5. Apple Inc will PAY Apple Corp licensing fees in order for them to continue using the logo.

Source Speculation:
    1. Deluxe Editions of each core album will be released.
    2. An announcement regarding downloads will be made this month.
    3. ITunes will get an exclusivity window (usually reported as 3 months)
    4. An arrangement between Inc and Corp will allow for exclusive content
    5. The remastered CDs will be released en masse on, or around, 1 June to tie-in with Sgt. Pepper's 40th anniversary.

Hope this helps some. Ron

14. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

15. brainwashed

Now that's unfair Jose. YOU started it by questioning Pawnmower on his desire for a remastered Abbey Road CD. You further instigated things by saying the original US LP pressing and 1987 CD were just fine (meaning there was no need for a remaster in your opinion) and that the remaster will be LOUD. Comments like these will surely generate responses. Ron

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Very much. :righton:

That's what I'd gleened from this thread so far anyway. Just took 600 posts to figure it out. :shh:

17. brainwashed

It is a bit convoluted I must say. Now there's a new thread saying that the current CDs are no longer available and remasters are coming out as soon as March?? I haven't heard WORD ONE about this. If it's true, things are really on a fast track now. Ron

18. Ern

Ern Senior Member

This story about the 13 core albums being released first is bugging me! What about the songs on 'Past Masters'?!!!
    Wonder if they're releasing them as bonus tracks on the Albums like 'Day Tripper' / 'We Can Work It Out' on 'Rubber Soul'; 'Paperback Writer' / 'Rain' on 'Revolver', etc...

19. brainwashed

Why is it bugging you? This was done in 1987 too. It's possible that singles related to albums could be bonus tracks, but if this happens, then stereo/mono mixes won't be issued. I much rather have both sets of mixes on the remastered CDs, and have a re-configured Past Masters be released at a later date. Ron

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ron, any word from you on this?

21. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

For me it would be ideal if the singles were released with the corresponding albums, such as "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" with Revolver, "Hey Jude"/"Revolution" with the White Album, and so on.

22. brainwashed

Same remasters... but I haven't got confirmation that both mono and stereo mixes will be available for download. Since my source works for EMI, she hasn't provided a lot of information about downloads other than saying Corp and Inc WILL have some exclusivity deal and there's more to the agreement than either Steve Jobs or Neil Aspinall has announced so far. Ron

23. brainwashed

So including the mono and stereo mixes does not interest you? Ron

24. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Thanks Ron. Do you think that the downloads ( speaking limitations of format here) will still be as impressive as the cd issues will be sonically?

25. brainwashed

Not a clue, sorry. Presumably, It would depend on the format and whether lossless technology is used. Regular, crappy lossy downloads wouldn't impress me :p . Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.