Nico - The Marble Index (Remastered and Expanded) Out 19th February

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnnyyen, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member Thread Starter

I've noticed this edition advertised on a few websites but have yet to find out what the extras are. Anyone know? Anyway this classic album is getting the remaster treatment from Rhino at budget price. There's also going to be a compilation released on the same day, but only from the years '68-70. Out 19th February '07.

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I'm curious about the bonus material, too. This is one of my favorite albums and I have several editions. I think that possibly the most scarce version that I have is a French pressing on blue vinyl.

Someone actually had a mono edition of this on eBay about a year ago. If any of the mono tracks are dedicated mixes, maybe we will get some of those.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Expanded? How much more despair can you fit on a single CD?:laugh:

...Just kidding. This is good news.

4. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

nice, glad to see nico getting the treatment from rhino. the standard Marble Index CD already has some "bonus tracks" but i'll be interested to see what else they dig up.

anyone else think The End is Nico's most intriguing album?

5. evenreven

evenreven New Member

Thanks for the info! I can hardly wait. This album is probably in my top ten ever.

It's incredible, but I think my money is on The Marble Index. But all three with Cale are amazing!

6. evenreven

evenreven New Member

Actually, come to think of it, the old Elektra cd was really nice. The sound quality was decent to my ears (though I haven't heard any other sources), and it had two bonus tracks and really interesting liner notes. I wonder if there are more extras on this one?

7. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi evenreven,

I mastered that CD, unless it has already been re-done.
    It would be interesting to hear how the new ones compare.

(I don't recall the nature of the tape I was given to work from.)
    Interesting record though.

Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

8. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Barry! Thanks for mastering that one; I really love the album, and you did a faithful transfer, retaining all the otherworldly terror that I love so.

9. evenreven

evenreven New Member

Hello Barry!
    Mine is an Elektra cd from 1991, no mastering credit but with a mention of "CD reissue supervised by Howard Thompson". I suppose that's yours.

This is one of my most listened to CDs, and the sound quality is very pleasing to the ears. All the abrasive sounds are in Cale and Nico's arrangements, with none in the mastering. Add to that the bonus tracks and the liner notes and it made one sweet package. Something about it sounds slightly "subdued", though, maybe a tape issue? Either all tapes are like that - most likely -, or Elektra supplied a second-generation tape. This is a really minor point, though!

Unless Rhino have some new bonus tracks up their sleeve, I doubt I'll be getting this. But I love Nico and Cale so much that I'll probably get it if Rhino can produce a track of them coughing. :)

Cheers,
    Even

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not sure about intriguing, but it was the first one I ever bought (1976), with absolutely no idea who the heck she was. I had just discovered Eno and bought it because he played on it. The title track was the weak point for me, but everything else impressed me a whole great big bunch. Then I picked up Cale's 'Fear.' After that I found out who the Velvet Underground was (thank you, Lilian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia). It was a long time after that before I found a copy of 'Marble Index.'

11. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

might be one of the top ten albums ever made imho

12. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Wow, this is a surprise. Maybe the 'expanded' part will just be Roses In The Snow and Nibelungen? Hopefully there's some other gems from this session still in the vault. Lookin' forward to finding out. February's turning out to be a big month...

13. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

What sites are you seeing this at? I see 'The Frozen Borderline 1968 - 1970' on Amazon UK.......other than that, nothing. Maybe 'The Marble Index' will just be included in that comp?

14. andyzax

andyzax Senior Member

As this is a project I've been producing over the last few months, allow me to give you the straight dope:

Nico - The Frozen Borderline: 1968-1970 is a 2CD package.

Disc 1: The Marble Index remastered, plus 11 bonus tracks. Four of those 11 are songs not included on the original album (Two of those have never been heard before [full-on Cale arrangements; quite astonishing.]) The other two--"Roses In The Snow" and "Niebelungen"--did appear on the 1990 edition, but the versions here are different ones. Most dramatically: the version of "Niebelungen" issued in 1990 was a capella; the version here is the complete take with Nico on harmonium). The remaining seven tracks are alternate versions of each song on the album (except "Prelude").

Disc 2: Desertshore remastered, plus 6 solo demo versions recorded in 1969.

The remastering was done by the very wonderful--and twice-Grammy-nominated this year--Dave Schultz at Digiprep (with me sitting there kibitzing). As is generally the case with any of the reissue projects I produce, it's "Hoffman Forum-friendly," with no maximization or added digital gunk....just a concerted effort to match the sound and dynamics of the original vinyl.

Here's a technical note that will undoubtedly interest some of you: Because Jac Holzman was always ahead of the technological curve, "The Marble Index" (like other Elektra titles of the period) was one of the earliest albums recorded with Dolby. As fate would have it, Digiprep is the current owner of Elektra's old Dolby rig, so we were actually able to play the master tape of
    "Marble Index" back through the exact same piece of equipment it was originally recorded with 39 years ago!

I'm not sure if the February 19 release date is 100% correct, but it should be pretty close to that.

This is a UK/European release only. There's no US release planned, as far as I'm aware.

So there you go. Hope you guys like it...

-Andy Zax
    http://archivesofoblivion.blogspot.com

Marble Index likes this.
  15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow. Great news! Thanks for sharing. What else is in the pipeline? Thanks again for the great Paris 1919 reissue..

16. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Thanks for all of that info, Andy. I'm especially looking forward to all of those extra tracks on "Marble Index".

Any word about liner notes for the package? With all of the effort going into this set, I'd hope for something interesting.

Cheers,
    Chris

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

great news, Andy Zax, the man behind the Talking Heads brick. :thumbsup:

18. aswyth

aswyth Forum Resident

Holy moly, this sounds great. I've got the original vinyl and CDs of these two classics, and it totally amazes me that this double CD issue was judged worthy of commercial release. Thanks Andy!

19. evenreven

evenreven New Member

WOW! Amazing news! 11 bonus tracks for The Marble Index alone?! I'm gonna buy several copies and give them to my friends!

20. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Andy. I'll definitely go for that 2 CD set but is The Marble Index also getting a release on its own as it's being advertised on play.com ?

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Great news! I love the sound on the 'Paris 1919' remaster, so I have high expectations for this!

I assume I should hold on to my 1990 edition of 'Index' for the original bonus tracks, then? (And the 1971 Peel Session EP as well?)

22. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Evan,

That's the one. And thanks for waking up an old memory cell. I have a picture in my mind of the person who was my contact for that project but I couldn't remember his name after all these years. It was Howard.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

23. andyzax

andyzax Senior Member

Johnnyyen: There won't be a separate "Marble Index." Just the anthology. (Not sure where play.com is getting their info).

93curr: If you care about such things, you might want to keep your 1990 CD for the different versions of those bonus tracks ("Roses In The Snow" on the new package has a slightly better mix; "Niebelungen," as I've mentioned, is radically different) and for the booklet. And you should definitely hang on to your Peel Session EP!

-AZ
    http://archivesofoblivion.blogspot.com

24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

OMG! Amazon.co.uk, here I come!
    :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

25. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

awesome, great news that Desertshore is part of this package as well. i like that one a lot, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.