What's the best CD version of the Stones Sticky Fingers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Is the Virgin CD remaster or the Universal remaster that came in an LP style sleave the better one?

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

They're both the same.

-D

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Try the old Columbia/Sony version, pre Virgin. It had it's faults, but a tweaked rising top end wasn't one of them.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Bootlegs of the outtakes (certain ones) sound fabulous. What the Stones heard with Miller and what a consumer got were two different things altogether, I can say that with confidence.

Might as well put this on top of the rest of the Stones' pile. Even the MFSL doesn't sound "right", but it does sound OK. Goats Head Soup is another one that was mashed into puddy sonically, and the mostly finished product DOES NOT sound like that (original vinyls, reissues, CDs, ect). Something purposely went out of his/her/it way to make most Stones products sound ragged out, you'd think.

Exile, that one too. Except for some reason, a duller, less defined sound seems to work for that title... Hmm... MHO... I'll even go out of my way and say many performances they did (that were left behind) were a bad choice, and would have made Goats Head Soup a better album.

Donno how all of you feel, but Mick & Keith have said in interviews that they have NO clue why people love Sticky & Exile so much.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like the Stones music sounding grungy. To me, their music is all a big, hashed-out party, so their music should sound like it.

6. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Well, let me clarify something: for the finished album, the current Virgin CD sounds great. To some people, though (mostly people who like a clean, "unprocessed" sound) the outtakes of the STicky tracks as found on the Time Trip and Black Box series can be preferable...i.e. Brown Sugar sounding very much like the master pre-processing. The current CD really sounds fine, though.

-D

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hrmm...what I've heard of the original CBS CDs has been pretty much crap... Thin and weedy.

8. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

I agree that the Virgin CD (I have the paper sleeve version) is the best one I've heard yet. I think Bob Ludwig did a great job remastering it.

Of course, I wouldn't mind hearing what Mr. Hoffman could do with it!

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Check out the Mickboy issues. A stones fan that has remastered Exile, Only R&R and Black&Blue from pristine original vinyl. He cut Exile from the original Toshiba Japanese vinyl. Unbelievable!
    He uses no computer enhancements at all. The sound is well defined with great seperation that jumps from the speakers.
    Highly recommended.

10. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Mickboy remasters are the best. Warm, analog-like sound. Nothing harsh or digital sounding in his works! He has never done Sticky Fingers (well, he has done a rough version of it, but none "released" yet). Maybe this year...

What would be the best source for him to use for this remaster? I supplied him with a cd-r copy of the MFSL Sticky Fingers a few months ago, but maybe there is a better source than that. Any help would be appreciated and passed on to him.

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

IMO the original Atlantic pressed version is still the best sounding. I have an Original UK but the US sounds better. The MFSL and recent US virgin remasters are nasty. I did like the UK EMI Century version it sounded cleaner than the US but not a True sounding.

12. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

The corresponding CBS vinyl reissues were pretty bad too, bright as hell.

Are you kidding?!!?

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Incidentally, avoid the CBS "Exile on Main Street" CD. There's a very nasty (possible) drop out in Sweet Virginia (maybe someone was playing with one fader in the middle of the song) Was this ever corrected in later runs?

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm with TommyTunes on the basic fact that the original Atco/Atlantic pressing of Exile (LP) is best there.

Yeah, the CBS CD of Exile had the faded intro of "Shine A Light" mostly missing. Many other little things that I didn't like about the CBS CD.

And holy CRAP! Stay away from the Virgin/RTI pressings on vinyl. Gawd, talk about a big waste.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

John,

You noticed that fader drop in "Virginia", eh? That is just plain mastering BULLSH*T. The mastering engineer didn't preview the song ahead of time, so he didn't realize that it starts very quiet and then builds. In other words, it has a great dynamic range. When the guy realises that the song is getting too loud, he just pulls back the volume. He doesn't even stop everything and do it again. Just lets it go.

ARGHHH. I got rid of my CBS "Exile" the minute I heard that and pulled out my original USA LP press. Ahhhhh...

:eek: :mad:

16. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I just played both my original Atlantic vinyl copy and my CBS vinyl. Yes, on the CBS, as soon as the chorus hits (right after "Come on..") you hear the level drop suddenly. Not only that but it sounds like he actually boosted the level just into the second verse ("Thank you for your wine..."). It gets louder. It does not do this on the Atlantic. Then, when it's supposed to kick you in the ass in the chorus, it fades down. How amaturish indeed. I can't believe someone could get away with this on a classic like "Exile".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.