Van Morrison "The Best of Van Morrison" CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

When I was trawling for CDs today, I found a used copy of "The Best of Van Morrison" (Polydor 841 970-2) for $8; also in the bin was the same CD, new and remastered (for $15). I bought the used one. Anyone ever compared the two, sound-quality wise?

Cheers
    Bruce

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I haven't. Does it say who mastered the Polydor?

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The remaster is much better. It's not as bright and has the uncensored stereo version of "Brown Eyed Girl". I got rid of the original when I picked up the remaster.

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

That original CD is as bright as two suns on a cloudless day.

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

!@#$; figures... I thought I might save a few $ and get a better version! :cry:

Cheers
    Bruce

p.s. Pig Whisperer, there's no mastering credits. Prescience?

6. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I have the original. Sounds quite tolerable to me.

7. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

The original was bright on some tracks and a little on the dull side on others. The remastered version is more consistent.

8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Same with the vinyl. Kind of funny that the brightest track was "The Bright Side Of The Road". :D

9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

The original is too bright on some tracks, YES< but that is how the albums were, so here is a case of revisionist remastering. Do you buy what sounds LIKE the original albums, just CAUSE, or do you go for the remaster which SOUNDS better, but ISNT faithful to the original.....?? I Tend to like the remaster, but its more consistent because its IMPROVED over the original vinyl on some tracks. :eek:

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I have to admit I personally like sonic consistency in a compilation (at least up to a point). Some of the EQ differences on "The Best of Van Morrison" were a bit extreme.

11. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I guess it doesn't really need to be said that these songs should be heard in their proper contexts. I mean, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't heard Jackie Wilson Said as an opener for Gypsy, I Will Be There, Listen To The Lion and so on.

If it wasn't for the one rarity, namely Wonderful Remark, this comp (or any comp of Van's work) should be avoided. Just buy all the albums instead!

12. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

That's the only reason I bought his disc. Just to get that one track. :)

13. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

Is this the same version as on the Soundtrack The King of Comedy?

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

As a sort-a fan of van morrison, I don't even think that greatest hits does a good job of introducting a sort-a fan to his music. All it sold really well, and people love Brown-eyed girl, it just doesn't flow well.

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If you think the CD comp is a strangely arbitrary thing, try the import, single-Lp vinyl...:D

:ed:

16. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Me too!

17. Ed Bishop

The original CD has the single version of "Brown Eyed Girl," a good reason in and of itself to have the original mastering.

18. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

The original version has the the edited/censored version and I think the remaster has the uncensored version (but I don't have a copy of the remaster to check for sure).

19. Ed Bishop

That's probably correct. The original CD has the mono 45 mix(which is censored, yes), so the remaster likely uses the stereo mix, which should be uncensored.

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I have not heard the remaster, but I own the original U.K. version of this CD and I think it sounds fantastic.

21. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I have the remastered version and 'Brown Eyed Girl' is the "making love in the green grass behind the stadium with you" version.

I also have "Bang Masters" which has the "making love" version and an alternate version which sounds like they are still trying the song out.

The real flaw with "Best Of " isn't the mastering, but the song sequencing. It sucks. Did they pull the songs out of a hat? I get a sense of what they were trying to do, but they missed the mark. "Volume 2" is much better IMHO (but not perfect, either, as far as selection goes - the Them tunes don't fit).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.