Anyone else here who'd buy Michael Jackson's History if Sony released it on SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not you, the other guy.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

ROTFLMAO

3. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Yes, unfortunately...:(

On the other hand, "Dangerous" had some interesting sonics.

4. Grant

Again, what do you guys have against his music? Ya gotta remember that most of the sound from "Off The Wall" and "Thriller" came from Quincy Jones, Bruce Swedien, Rod Temperton, and a host of many top LA musicians. The material he recorded with his borthers as the Jacksons on Epic records ranks among his best.

5. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

But you should not ask questions like that if there is a risk that you won't like the responses.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I really like Quincy Jones, and I have "Thriller" on SACD. This was a top sounding LP when it came out, but I never bought the CD so I can't compare the Super Audio CD with the Redbook format. But I will say that "Thriller" sounds particularly fine of SACD. Maybe just a little hot on the top end on a couple of tracks, but pretty awe-inspiring nevertheless.

I would probably buy "Off the Wall" on SACD. There are a couple of tracks on that album I really love.

Grant, please don't jump on me for expressing my opinion here, but "Thriller" is where Michael and I part company. There is nothing he has released since then that interests me.

Regards,
    Metralla

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If this means anything, music is music. I don't think that someone has poor tastes in music if they feel that MJ's Epic stuff was amazing. My take on it is only opinion: 1. There are thousands of titles out there more popular and worth the SACD treatment and 2. I don't know why people like MJ that much in today's age. The times have changed so much, that his music sounds pase'. Nothing wrong with hearing "Human Nature" in a dentists office, but I really think people would rather have BOC and maybe some Boz Scaggs on SACD than MJ.

Statistics saying the Thriller SACD is one of the most popular disc? VH1 playing his stuff over and over? I must be living under a rock. I just don't know that people are actually buying his stuff.

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

It's nothing more than a matter of personal preference. I always liked listening to the Jackson 5 on the American Top 40, but can't stand Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones.

I like Aaliyah!! :) I'll take a sultry voice over some wimp grabbing his crotch anyday.

9. Grant

That does it! We need some demographics of exactly who owns SACD and buys the discs. Some here are asuming only a certain type of person has SACD. The price of the players are down, the discs aren't much more that regular CDs...gee, I can't wait till the other companies start offering SACD remasters. Then we all will see how many more copies BOC sell in comparison to MJ. I can definately say that more people like and have even heard Michael Jackson than BOC. Yes, I have several BOC LPs in my collection.

I don't know about you guys, but I listen to a WIDE assortment of music, always have.

I wanna see those demographics.

10. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I might go for it as a single disc, without the lame "remixes."

11. Grant

Try me! Could it be because he is an alleged pedophile? It has never been proven in a court of law. Buying a person off to shut them up may be stupid, but it is not an admission of guilt. Even my brother-in-law has claimed to have seen damning evidence that could have been used against him had it even gone to court, but it didn't go to court. So, unless he screws up royally one day, we'll never know.

If it is some other reason, send me a private email. I probably wouldn't get offended. I like his music and grew up with it, but i'm not a wild fan of his. I know a local DJ who plays MJ marathons on his Sunday night show. One night he did a whole show with nothing but duets done with MJ.

12. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Like Eddie Van Halen. :D

13. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

I thought many, many of the Thriller LPs were bad pressings. :confused:

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The SACD of "Thriller" was mastered directly from the original mixes. I enjoy listening to it on occasion. Has a nice analog sound. Gives your system a workout too.

I chose to ignore all the drama about Michael Jackson. If he records a catchy song that I take a fancy to, so be it. I don't discriminate. A good song is a good song to me!

vonwegen likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I do enjoy some of Michael Jackson's stuff as well.

16. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Which ones do you have? I have just about everything. I'd like to see SACD versions of "Secret Treaties" "Cultosaurus Erectus" and "Mirrors" but I know it's never gonna happen.

My problem with MJ is that he's a dancer, grunter and owns and operates a successful gimmick. I wouldn't consider him a songwriter or musician. He has the funds to get what he wants in the studio and is supposedly a perfectionist. But how do you perfect something that seemingly does not exist, the catchy Rod Temperton tunes notwithstanding? You compare "Thriller" with an album like "Rumours" and you really begin to wonder what all the fuss was about.

I thought MJ really had it together circa the "I Want You Back" hit with the Jackson Five. I thought he never really followed that up. Strange to think that someone peaked at 9 years old. In hindsight he became the Britney Spears of his time, except that I can at least look at her.

17. Grant

Give me some time. I have to dig in a closet to look through boxes of LPs.
    Obviously, you have not followed the music of his career! You probably never heard the Jacksons' "Destiny" or "Triumph" albums. Peaked at NINE??? You've got to be kidding!!! (Actually, he was 11 when they recorded "I Want You Back" I believe Motown moved his age back to make him more marketable).

I'll agree that his main attraction to many fans is his dancing, and he can't play any instruments (big deal), but he is a hell of a singer! But he couldn't write lyrics to save his life! I gotta tell ya, "Thriller" wouldn't be my pick either, as I always preferred "Off The Wall".

You know, there could be a age/cultural/racial thing at play as to why many don't like his music. For that last one, don't jump to any conclusions! It's not what you think I may mean. It's that up until the last twenty years or so, blacks of all ages generally listened to the same music. With white, there has been a generational gap. So, a black person your age may tend to like his music more than many white people your age, particularly men. When the Jackson 5 came out, many kids got together and formed their own singing groups. I was part of one. The songwriter of our group put out his first album last year. So, besides being a teen idol, Micheal Jackson and his brothers inspired many people.

18. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Ok guys, seems to be getting a little hot in here. :)

Lets dial it back just a bit, eh?

19. Call me an old fart if you will, but when I hear MJ's records,
    the canned rhythm track that the whole shebang is built on
    sounds lifeless. When Britney, N'SYNC and the like came out,
    they reminded me of nothing more than him.

Sure, he's got a cool video, that's Jon Landis' fault.
    Cool production effects, well that's Quincy's fault.

MJ's just that freak in the middle who couldn't stand
    to see his own face in the mirror (ticked off one too many
    parent I expect) and so he had a new face installed.

If I were given and MJ title on sacd, I'd use it as a drink coaster.

It's creepy, MOBY has more soul than this guy. So does Fatboy Slim.
    AND those last two produce their own records without benefit of
    a committee to vote on whether or not it will be a hit.

20. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Wow, thomoz! If that's dialed back, I'd hate to see you unleashed!

:D ;)

HZ

21. Grant

Don't tell John Robinson or Steve Porcaro that John and Steve's late brother, Jeff's drumming was "canned"!;)

22. pleased with your response

I am glad that you did not take my comments on MJ personally, Grant.
    He is occasionally a hot topic at my office and some folks freak out
    if you disagree with them about Michael's character.
    Suprisingly, Michaels' most vehement supporters are of all genders and races.
    It's not an attack on the listener! You can listen to any music you want to . . .

I hope in all honesty that he gets his personal life together
    and starts making records for the fun of it again (about half of
    "Off the Wall" sounds like he's really into what he's doing).

That he named himself the "King of Pop" is telling though.
    I think he was just in the busines too long and began to believe is own PR.

- - - - -

Pocaro swings bether when he's not tied to a click track.

23. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Patrick, actually that is true. When "Thriller" was at it's sales peak moving over a million copies a week, CBS' pressing plants were trying to keep up with demand and Bernie Grundman couldn't cut new lacquers fast enough. So the record company kept the presses rolling long after the stampers should have been used. Early pressings of the album are still the best but the majority of pressings made after mid 1983 are bad, exhibiting a major loss of dynamic range which is screwed considering what a great recording it is not only musically but from a technical standpoint. Excellent use of Bruce Swedien's "Acusonic Recording Process".

24. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

I bought the History LP when it was first released. The sound is decent and I can't see how it could improve as a SACD.

Now, if someone would just manufacture an affordable SACD player for the car, then I might consider buying SACDs.

As for MJ's other issues, he is very talented, but he may have some personal problems. Would that influence my buying decisions? Probably not, if the music is good.

I still like the music of the late Roy Buchanan although he definitely had some problems. That hasn't stopped me from searching out his music.

How about the other direction with Dylan? When he went through his soul seeking, his music wasn't as good, IMHO, but he did rediscover his faith.

25. Grant

Ronald, I think the reason some people won't listen and buy music by artists with questionable images is because they feel that on a certain level the image of the artist reflects directly on the listener.

Look at certain artists that people will not touch, Prince, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Boy George, The Beatles, Jerry Lee Lewis, David Bowie, most rappers, and others. I have asked people why they don't listen to them and even though they start out by bashing the music they always break it doiwn to the artist's image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.