Earth Wind & Fire Greatest Hits advice, please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

I want to exchange an Earth Wind & Fire CD because I'm not too hopped up over the sound. It's the 1999 Greatest Hits remastered by Mark Wilder, and I think I might like the sound on the 1998 Joseph Palmaccio remaster. I find the Wilder version doesn't have a smooth bottom, but I don't know if the other one will be any better. Would any of you know if they have noticeable sonic differences? Thanks.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

?

There's a greatest hits CD that came out one year after another? What are the exact names of these CDs? Earth, Wind & Fire have so many comps out it ain't funny!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The one I have is old, red cover. Sounds great.

4. Sean Keane

That's the Joseph Palmaccio one, if it is indeed the 1998 one. This one is a Sony Legacy from a year later, but includes After The Love Has Gone, Let's Groove and one or two more that weren't around when that Greatest Hits was originally released on LP in 1978.
    Any opinions on the remastering work of Mark Wilder?

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The reissue of the old '78 comp? If so, it is pretty good...

:ed:

6. Sean Keane

I got my years backwards. This is the one that was released in 1999. Remastered by Joseph Palmaccio.

Attached Files:

7. Sean Keane

This is the one I have. It was remastered by Mark Wilder and released in November of 1998.

Attached Files:

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's the '78 comp. But what you describe is a recent remaster, my copy is an '80s Columbia/ARC(CK 35647), no bonus tracks, seems to be a straight reissue of the vinyl edition. Always liked it a lot.

:ed:

9. Grant

OK, that's the "Best Of" comp. It originally came out in November of 1978. This CD has been mastered twice times since the 90s. I don't get too crazy about the sound on the comps because I have all the individual album titles, which are more important for me to have. This CD is important because it contains the 45 single mix of "Got To Get You Into My Life" and "Love Music". It originally also contained the single-only "September". What irks me about it is that it has the 45 edit of "Fantasy", but it has the LP versions of "Can't Hide Love" and "That's The Way Of The World". Well, it IS a "best of", not a "greatest hits" or "singles" comp.

10. Grant

OK, that's volume two, with the black cover with "EWF" across the front, no? Like I said before, there are several EWF comp CDs out there, and done by Legacy.

11. Grant

OK, what you pictured here is the older one because it has the little "Compact Disc" logo on the bottom. But, I didn't realize that Joseph Palmaccio did it.

12. Grant

OK. This one I don't have and never need. But, that one with the red cover was remastered bu Mark Wilder as well, with bonus tracks.

13. Sean Keane

Grant, Joe Palmaccio remastered that '78 comp in '99.

14. Grant

I love his work!

15. Grant

No, Mark Wilder did. I have it right in front of me, and it says "Produced by Leo Sacks" and "Mastered by Mark Wilder". It also has the bonus tracks. This is the one with the red cover that was originally issued in 1978.

Later

16. Sean Keane

Grant, I picked up a copy today in a store and put it aside BECAUSE I read on the back that Palmaccio did it.

17. Grant

Then that must be the old one you pictured in the forst photo. Trust me. I know EWF! I have been a big fan of them since the early 70s. The Mark Wilder remastered comp with ther red cover has symbols on the spine.

18. Sean Keane

Yeas, that's what I meant. Palmaccio did the red one with those two bonus dance mix tracks. You really like that Mark Wilder one that much? Maybe it's good, and that just happens to be the way the recording was done, but I do recall hearing the LP on a cheap turntable and being impressed with the punch it had.

19. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Speaking of which is "Turn On The Beat Box" on the original record, or just on the CD? I don't seem to remember it being there.

20. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

The Best of EWF Vol. 1 CD (1999 issue) I have with the Megamix 2000 and Megamix Radio Edit is by Wilder. I also have the 1998 Greatest Hits and it is also Wilder.

21. Grant

NO! MARK WILDER did the one with the megamix dance tracks. Are you playing with me?

22. Grant

The LPs always sounded thin to me.

23. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

You know what Grant, on the right side on the back, underneath the Bonus Tracks, it says mastered by Palmaccio. Maybe it means Palmaccio mastered the Bonus Tracks, but Wilder did the original 10 tracks. So the back of the disc has both names.

24. Grant

"Turn On The beat Box" first appeared on the "Best Of CD volume two, released in 1988. It is the one with the black space cover with EWF in red. It was remastered in 2000 by both Mark Wilder and Joseph M. Palmaccio. "Turn On The Beat Box" didn't turn out to be a hit.

25. Grant

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.