Beatles 'White Album', Capitol white vinyl pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

can some of the beatles experts fill me in on what i just bought at amoeba? it's capitol's white vinyl edition of the 'white album', no bar code on back, front has 'Beatles' in gray lettering. my copy is pristine with all inserts and ran me $40. is this a good or better pressing; is it trash; or is it just mediocre? (it sounds fine by me, but i'm not running it on a high-end system.) all i could find in the search was this thread.
    thanks, fellers! :)

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Mediocre. The one you want is the British white vinyl (Apple label, IIRC).

P.S. These are not my personal findings, just ones I've read here. A British white vinyl White Album I was tracking on Ebay, just ended at about $271.

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

yeah, i figured it was. i couldn't remember if the prized edition was U.K. or U.S., and since the store has a return-for-store-credit policy, it was a nothing-ventured, nothing-gained scenario. thanks!

4. I just got one NM on eBay for $86.00, 1978 UK export pressing. I think the "blue book" on these is approx. $100-$120.

5. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I had no idea this was so sought after. The one I have was given to me for free in a record shop! And it does sound good to me.

6. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I haven't heard the UK white vinyl, but the German DMM white vinyl sounds awful nice to me. Guess I'll have to pick up one of those UK pressings someday.

Jason

7. PeteRFNY

PeteRFNY Member

That's really the one to get - the German DMM on white vinyl (circa mid-80s, I think). Did a beautiful transfer of that, it's still my favorite version of the LP to listen to.

The American one is simply the usual American LP on really bad white vinyl (mine has straks of black running through it!). If (like me) you are into the "coin collecting" aspect of Beatles LPs, then it's good to have anyway - just not so much for listening.

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I had a US White... purple Capitol label, right?

Mine was cool to look at, but very underwhelming to listen to.

9. The vinyl on the US white was too cold when it went into the stampers - look at the run out area, it should be glass-smooth but a lot of them are lumpy. this effect is called "orange peel" and it makes for a bumpy dife for your needle. Funny, Donnie at Circle Sky Records and I were talking about this very same lousy pressing last night.

Oh, I have a German White Wax DMM, and I love it too. I had a late-70's UK black vinyl, it was DISTORTED all over. I gave the d*mn thing away it sounded soo bad.

10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

How 'bout the French 1978 white vinyl with Apple label and all inserts? My roommate has that one.

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I have the 70's black vinyl Apple German LP (1C prefix) and the UK white vinyl versions. Both sound excellent, but my preference leans towards the German pressing.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Remember, the Capitol WHITE ALBUM tapes were rerecorded from the British copy tapes and have questionable EQ, etc. Nothing cut from those reels could ever sound good, doesn't matter what color vinyl...

Same for the colored vinyl RED and BLUE Capitol LP's; same lackluster cutting tape used. Urggh..

13. Sir Roundsounder

Sir Roundsounder New Member

I own a NM German Apple DMM White Vinyl pressing of The Beatles-it has all the inserts in Mint condition only touched the poster once to just look at it and only played the records maybe 10 times top over the last 20 years. I wanted it for the original raised white embossed The Beatles because I despise the grey one and thought it would be cool to have a white vinyl copy anyway.

Just out of curiosity,if I were to sell this what is the current "blue book" on it?

14. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got a German Apple DMM White Vinyl too. Was played precisely once to commit to tape, and is waiting patiently for me to buy it a new turntable so I can hear it again. Mine's # 119432, what's yours?

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Apple on white. :agree:

[​IMG]

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Showoff

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:agree: Cool looking rekkid ain't it? :D

18. I thought the German DMM pressing was issued without any inserts. At the very least, when I bought my copy (new) in 1986, it didn't have any. Also, mine has the raised "The Beatles" lettering but is NOT numbered.

19. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Mine has all the inserts.

Raised "The Beatles" lettering, #189450 imprinted on sleeve and a black sticker that says "Pressung WEISS" Direct Metal DMM Mastering. It's the best-sounding White Album I've ever heard...although I've never heard the UK white vinyl.

20. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Someday.....

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

What is the Australian version like? I have a NM copy which I've never played.. is it worth keeping or should it go in the direction of eBay...

22. John Carsell

Put that sucker on ebay.

23. John Carsell

Lucious!

24. downhill

downhill Senior Member

40 bucks for near mint? You didn't get burned. You can still resell it for that. In the meantime it's still a pretty cool collectable. The White album on white vinyl? Put the album and one of the discs in a frame and hang it.

25. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I came across this in a shop today and gave it a listen and thought it sounded great, albeit not in ideal circumstances, but the actual condition was very poor. Perhaps a good clean-up would improve it? I was very tempted. Is it possible that it's better than the latest 2009 vinyl (given that that is digital), at least?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.