Capitol Albums Vol 2 What Version Did You Get In the Box?-Correct Mono or Fold-Downs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Do you mean you'll never hear the "fold-down" mixes? If so, don't worry, you're not missing much. I was actually curious to hear the "foldies" myself, figuring that the extreme separation on the stereo RS tracks might lend to a decent sounding fold-down, but alas, they really didn't do anything for me. I didn't even bother to make a CDR of the "foldies" for archival/historical purposes.

2. Sean Murdock

Awesome.

As much as I hope they use the original stereo mixes for Help and RS when they do the UKs, I really have to agree with George Martin's dislike for his RS stereo mixes. The mono sounds soooooooo good -- all it lacks is the false start to "I'm Looking Through You"! ;)

3. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Damn!

I waited until today to check...I went to Target: they had foldy cubes...Borders: foldy longboxes...Best Buy Columbia MD: foldy longboxes (a bunch of 'em - and I checked every one!)

I'll check Best Buy at home...but I am leaning toward Target...because I like the cube packaging! I'll just get myself a gift slip.

Question I'm still confused about: If I take Volume 1...slide out the inner part of the box...fold it in half...is there ANY difference between the resulting configuration & what was sold as the cube for Volume 1?? (materials, orientation, design...anything??)

Thanks!
    Dexter

4. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

On Wednesday I called the 800 number to request a postage paid mailer in order to return my two fold down discs. On Thursday someone from Capitol EMI in NYC called me to make sure they had my address correct as there was some noise on the message I left. It kind of impressed me that someone cared that much to make sure I got the envelope I requested. Now I will wait and see how long this process takes. In the meantime I burned back ups for my two return discs. Charlie

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

recap...what B&M stores have the CUBE?

6. Sean Murdock

It is too bad that the "Fold-Down Follies" had to wreck what should have been a joyous occasion for Capitol and Beatles fans. Hopefully, as corrected sets are already starting to pop up around the country, people will skip Capitol's exchange program and just exchange their faulty sets for good ones and we can forget about the ugliness and get on with enjoying the music. (This will be harder for internet and overseas customers, and they have my sympathy...)

There was a fairly lengthy feeding-frenzy about this in one of the other (now-closed) threads, but we have no clear answers on the issue. I doubt, however, that it was a matter of Capitol having "no idea" what it was doing, or or purposely ordering fraudulent mono mixes to be created. After all, vol. 1 was handled perfectly in terms of the correct mixes and masters, and "Beatles VI" and "Rubber Soul" were also mastered correctly from the correct tapes. (Remember, the "Beatles VI"/"Rubber Soul" mess had nothing to do with choosing the correct tapes to work with; the screw-up ocurred AFTER the correct monos has been prepared.)

Capitol (via Bruce Spizer) has denied that there is anything "wrong" with the "TEB" and "Help!" monos, because "they were fold-downs in the first place." Well, that sounds like a sneaky way of saying that 2006 digitial fold-downs are the "same" as the 1965 analog fold-downs -- and of course, they are not. A few people (starting with Phil Elliott, I think?) tested some of the mono tracks and swear that they are digital fold-downs, and the explanations make sense to me. Capitol admits nothing and clarifies nothing, so if there's any meat on the "Capitol conspiracy" carcass, this is what people can chew on.

I have to believe that for Ted Jensen to create NEW fold-down mono mixes for "TEB" and "Help!", it meant that the mono LP masters were nowhere to be found and he had no other choice. If that was the case, Capitol should have admitted it right up front. Frankly, to me it's like saying, "Which smells worse -- THIS pile of crap or THAT pile of crap?" Fold-down monos aren't valid "mixes" and what's fraudulent in 1965 is fraudulent today. I haven't even listened to them yet. Why bother? Either way, they're fake! I respect (and, if pressed, agree) with those who say it matters for historical purposes, but the mix-up of the TRUE mono masters for "Beatles VI" and "RS" was FAR more tragic, and THAT at least is being corrected.

They really sound great -- and these Capitol boxes have given me things I'd never heard before, like the mono "Second Album", and things I'd only heard on pirate CDs, like the mono "Help" and "RS" mixes. I should A-B some of the ones that overlap with the EP set, but I'm having too much fun just listening to them!

7. bogus orphan

bogus orphan New Member

the truth is we don't know for sure if that is when the supposed screw-up occurred - after all, you yourself state "we have no clear answers on the issue"

also, their handling of vol 1 has absolutely no bearing on vol 2 - just because they seemed to do the right thing before doesn't mean they tried to this time

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Just got one. Non-fold downs! Check out the date on the price sticker. It is today's date. These just came in. Cube box too. The longboxes in the same store were fold-downs.

Attached Files:

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Just checked my original place of purchase......Tones of fold down longboxes....not a new one in sight....the young girl had NO idea what I was talking about, although I did politely enlighten her. She said to try back in a couple of days, because the thing was selling decently, and a new shipment will probably be in soon.

Just to be safe, I called the Capitol voice mail today, also.

10. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I went EVERYWHERE today to check for SK1 boxes, but none were to be found so I bought the $39.98 box at Coconuts. I told them I really wanted the correct version and they told me to leave mine sealed till correct copies come in. I hate having to leave it sealed for god knows how long!

I have a question for those in the business: Have any stores been allowed (by Capitol) to return originals once SK1 copies are available? Both FYE and Coconuts here have lots of "foldies" and they will most likely not sell well at $70 once the sale ends.

btw, when you return an open defective CD or DVD to Best Buy, they have to open the replacement to make sure you don't try to return the sealed item for a full refund later. They take your word that the return WAS defective.

Tim

11. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I checked a few stores near me and they all had the folds. The local Barnes & Noble had one left and it was a brick. They sales guy there said that they did a get a memo about the mix up. He said that a guy came in and bought THREE of them! He specifically WANTED the folds because he felt that they would be 'collectible'.

I wonder if he would be interested in a bridge in Brooklyn?? :laugh:

12. ArchieBunker72

ArchieBunker72 New Member

Dont open it because Best Buy will open the new one when you exchange it (unless you dont care). They have some new policy that they have to open exchanges so people dont copy the original, come back and exchange it, and then go back later with the sealed one for a refund.

They assume everyone is a crook now...I dont like the idea of them handling my new cd's before I get them home. I am very meticulous about my stuff and prefer to open it myself.
    :agree:

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I checked the racks at my local stores tonight while shopping.

Target: Cubes only, incorrect fold-downs only.

Best Buy: Longboxes only, mix of correct and incorrect mixes.

I was surprised to see a store with a mix of correct and incorrect boxes the Friday after the release date. I just couldn't pull the trigger on $50, though, for music I already own. My CD-R comps of the EP CDs are enough for now.

14. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

They must. They hire quite a few of them at the one here in town.

15. telliott

telliott Senior Member

No Trans World store around with the $40 sale? I would have made them price match. They can just call the store to verify the price.

Tim

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

That seems odd since the BB here can look up your receipt on the computer if you don't bring it with you, so I'd think they could check for an exchange already being done also. I certainly wouldn't try it. Would be too embarassing.

17. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Bud,

Congrats to you. The Best Buy up here in Salem had nothing but "fold downs". I even called the Portland metro Best Buys. They all had the incorrect sets. I don't know how the Springfield location got the right ones, but you lucked out. Too bad for me, I was just in Eugene on Wednesday. Oh well, I will wait and see. I have a "still sealed" incorrect set from Salem Best Buy. Guess we will see what comes in the next several days.

Greg

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Surely if you haven't yet opened the box set they wouldn't open it, would they? :eek: If so, what a bunch of meatheads! :shake::thumbsdn:

19. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I went around today to check for SK1 boxes as well. I went to 3 Wal-Mart's, 3 Target's, 2 FYE's, 3 Borders, 2 Barnes and Noble's, 3 Best Buy's, and 2 Circuit City's. I also went to a couple of independent CD stores.

Guess what. All of them have the fold-downs.

20. PeteRFNY

PeteRFNY Member

Ditto here...no luck (http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=1725013#post1725013).

21. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Nothing but foldies here as well.

:mad:

James

22. emkay

emkay Senior Member

23. I have not been able to find ANY correct SK1 sets in St. Louis. This is after five days of looking at every single Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, Wherehouse Music, and Borders that I could think of. ALL of them ONLY had fold downs.

I am going to try some of the independents tomorrow.

Good job, Capitol. You should have recalled the defective sets and never shipped product you falsely advertised as containing the "original 1965 mixes"--whether the fold downs were mistakes or not, the box sets containing the fold downs should have been recalled and should not have been shipped. It is pure and simple greed at work. You guys are real crooks . . .

24. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I checked 11 stores in San Diego today - 3 Target's, 3 Circuit City's, Fry's Electronics, Costco, Wal-Mart, FYE and Best Buy. No SK1 sets anywhere (longbox or cube).

Mark

25. I checked several in Atlanta - Circle Sky, FYE (2 locations, two different days), Tower, Best Buy - no SK1 boxes. Only Tower and Circle Sky were aware of the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.