Bill Evans - Waltz For Debby - No other album exists for me right now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geoman076, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

One note and you know is Bill Evans. Waltz for Debby is my second all time favourite Evans recording. Number 1 still is Sunday Village Vanguard. :love:

Those two represent some of the best live jazz ever recorded.

2. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Please do yourself a huge favor and purchase the box set, "The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings,1961." It's the entire day's performances on June 25, and includes all of "Waltz For Debbie" and "Sunday At The Village Vanguard", plus much more. This was a special performance not only for the incredible interplay between Evans and his bassist Scott LaFaro, but Scott was to die in a car crash some 10 days later. A short career but a legend on his axe nevertheless. The sound is outstanding BTW.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Can you imagine what glories Le Faro would have brought to the art as he got older? :cry:

I just picked up CALIFORNIA HERE I COME with Eddie Gomez and Philly Joe Jones. Live dates from 1968 that wasn't released until 1982 (after Bill's passing). This album is a great counterpoint to the delicacies of DEBBY and VILLAGE VANGUARD...Jones pushes Evans into some pretty intense workouts!

BTW: I'd love to find the DCC EXPLORATIONS but is the SACD comparable?

4. bw

bw Forum Resident

This may not be the best comparison, but here are my experiences with 2 Evans SACD's.

I don't have the DCC "Explorations" but I have the OJC, the SACD and a very old pressing of the lp. I was not blown away by the SACD. It sounded real close to the cd. Now with Moonbeams, I have the SACD and an original pressing, but not the OJC. I would rate the SACD as one of the the best sounding in my collection. The bass on the lp just booms and the SACD really captures it.

My thoughts. Hope they help.

5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I was disappointed by most of the SACDs remastered by Fantasy (except the Gil Evans, Eric Dolphy and Art Pepper+11 discs). But the SACDs with Fantasy material remastered by other labels (Analogue Productions, MFSL) sound great.

6. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

I agree. I also think that the SACD version of 'Waltz for Debby' is outstanding and sounds better than the Japanese 20-bit K2. Interesting to read the comments about the 45-rpm releases. While I'd like to sample one of these sets, the Lays Potato Chip ad keeps popping into my head. :D I've got a lot of Evans on cd, soooooo......could I have ju$t one? Which one would be the best to sample?

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Dudes, you know I'm not a fan of XRCD's but the VILLAGE VANGUARD XRCD is flat from the master tape and sounds just like it, or as much as it can with digital. The OJC is ok as well. I am not a fan of the SACD.

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

What the OJC and/or AP LPs of Sunday Night? I been eyeing those...

9. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Well, last time I visited the doctor in late Feb he did say something about a 40% 'buildup' inside the right ear. Guess it's time to get that baby irrigated. What's Kayaker's excuse?? :D

10. Sarchi

Sarchi New Member

If you like WFD for the initmate club atmosphere, another one to check out is Ben Webster At The Rennaisance. He conjures a similar vibe on the sax, and it's a great recording as well.

11. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

My wife claims I'm deaf when my stereo is on and she is talking.... :D

12. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Waltz For Debby is possibly my favorite Evans CD.

Others right near the top:

Everybody Digs Bill Evans
    Portrait In Jazz
    Explorations
    How My Heart Sings!

13. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Was EXPLORATIONS ever actually released by DCC? I thought this was one that, for whatever reason, was supposed to be released but it never happened.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's on Steve's discography here. I've never seen one but I only recently started looking...

15. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Steve, what don't you like about the SACD? Just curious...

16. lock67ca

lock67ca Forum Resident

I just picked up the Analogue Productions Gold disc today. Agree 100%. :righton:

17. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Yeah, it's listed on Steve's discography, but there's no catalog number. I've never seen one of these, nor have I seen one turn up anywhere. If it was actually released, it must've been in a very small number. :(

18. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Where'd you find it?

19. lock67ca

lock67ca Forum Resident

There's a used CD store down the street from me called The Beat Goes On. They had one in. Excellent condition too. The same place I found the Miles Davis Musings of Miles DCC.

20. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Think they got an extra???

21. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

No doubt! These two albums really do go hand in hand.

22. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Geoman076, Thanks for the thread on this album! I picked up the OJC CD of this album today when I went to The Electric Fetus looking for Moody's SACDs -- I just had to hear what the raves were all about. Listening to "My Foolish Heart" made me care not one single bit about being stuck in traffic on the highway. What a lovely song! Scott Lafaro might just be my new bass hero. Anyway, thanks for sharing your enjoyment of this album, as it's always nice to have someone suggest a starting point for an artist's catalog, and for me with Bill Evans this was my first exposure. Very cool!

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'd think there'd be a catalog number on Steve's discography if it had been released.

24. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

And after you get all the trio albums with LaFaro, pick up a copy of You Must Believe in Spring. It has perhaps the best recorded piano sound of any of his trio albums, and the gorgeous repertoire and playing make a real highlight of his 70s albums.

- Joe

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

im so happy that i picked up "waltz..." and "sunday..." 45's when they were around. these are 2 of the best lp's steve has ever done, and while it's a hassle getting up to change them, the pain goes away when the music comes on. legendary american music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.