War 2 CD Anthology or Avenue Gold cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KLM, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLM

KLM Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased this career retrospective and overall really enjoyed it. The first cd has a lot of their earlier hits and has a great beat: a mixture of pop, rock, funk and Latin rhythms.

Not having any other of their cds to compare this to, I thought the sound to be pretty good. My question is, are their any other WAR cds worth their weight in gold. With that said, I've noticed some WAR remastered (Avenue Gold cds) and was wondering are they any good? Specifically, "All Day Music", "Why Can't We Be Friends" and "World is A Ghetto."

Thoughts?!?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They are good, and they have the long versions of the hits. Worth seeking out!

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have them all and definitely like the long versions, in all cases, more than the single edits. "Slippin' Into Darkness" and "The World Is A Ghetto" are two of my favorites.

4. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

First place to seek out the War Gold CD's:
    www.musicforasong.com
    $7.99 each.......probably a cut-out with the saw cut in the case.

5. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Kayaker,

Thanks for the tip; I just ordered the gold CDs of "World Is A Ghetto" and "Why Can't We Be Friends" from musicforason.com. I always wanted to get something by War, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I picked up the Avenue gold of "Eric Burden Declares War" a few years ago at Border's in a clearance bin for $8 or $10. Nice CD, nice deal. That musicforasong deal is a steal!

7. KLM

Thanks for the feedback. I actually saw those three titles at Music For A Song and before I ordered them, thought I would get some feedback. Thanks.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

music for a song used to have many gold cd's for sale.

renny

9. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Sorry for the publicity - hope they still have some when you order them.

As we have seen recently, bargains don't last long when they appear on this site. However, Musicforasong usually has good inventory on their stuff. Although, as mentioned, they had a couple of pages more of gold discs several months ago.

10. Steve Hoffman

Get "All Day Music" as well!

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have the Avenue gold disc of the original greatest hits album. The sound of the tracks are less trebly than the Inglot remasters.

12. Steve Hoffman

Like I said, get ALL of the Avenue Gold War discs. They are straight from the master tapes, un screwed with. They sound great. I'm spelling this out for all of you: Get them before they are gone forever!

13. Matt

Matt New Member

Does the Avenue Gold CD of War's "Greatest Hits" use the single edits or the Lp versions?

14. Steve Hoffman

SINGLE EDITS.

You need to buy the Gold Avenue CD's of the complete albums.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

So in conclusion, Steve, are the gold avenue releases worth owning? :confused:

Just kidding. Off to my favorite purveyors of used music.

Regards,

16. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Steve H.,

Thanks for the suggestion; I believe that I will go and get "All Day Music" as well.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

17. KLM

I finally got around to listening to some of the Gold Avenue Record WAR remasters that Steve said were a flat transfer and sounded very good. Well as usual, Steve is right on. I put on "Why Can't We Be Friends" and was blown away by the sound of Low Rider. No question about it, these are the ones to get. The music is alive, not at all bright and very dynamic. There was a latin funk rock party going on in my listening room this evening.

I've noticed quite a few are still available at Music For A Song as well as ebay in the price range of $7.99 - $12.00 each.

If you have any interest in these, I would pick them up quick before they are gone forever. Once again I owe many thanks to the forum for helping me make another wise purchase.

18. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

In all fairness though, Low Rider sounds incredible on every CD (and LP) I've ever heard it on!

pdenny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.