Stranger in town

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Evan, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,

I seem to remember that you stated that the old CD of “Stranger in Town” sounded just like the master tape. Do you have any EQ recommendations to make it sound better?
    :)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My consulting fee is $1000.00 an hour. Har har. :D But for you...Well, ok.

Off the top of my head, if you have a parametric EQ, you could try:

+2@8k/6
    +2@3K/6

That might make your CD sound a bit more "alive". Don't overdo it though. Nothing worse than adding too much 3k and 8k. I'm thinking of the opening track now, and the ones that sound like it, tone wise. I recall some other songs on there that were mixed very differently...

Does this help?

3. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

I guess I am going to have to get a parametric EQ one day. Right now all I have is a AudioControl C-101. I can get close to those numbers so it's a good start. I will try it when I get home. Thanks!

4. Angel

Angel New Member

Hey Steve. I tried your EQ suggestions on "Hollywood Nights" from the old Capitol CD. Works great. It's amazing what a little bit of help can do to an average sounding song. Thanks for the tip. It was fun.

Uh, I assume that the "6" after the frequency is the "slope"? If so, it translates to "1" on a GML Parametric, right? You always seem to use this slope. Can I ask why?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

5. Steve Hoffman

Hi Angel! Up late, eh?

So, you tried this EQ? You know, that was just off the top of my head as I played back "Hollywood Nights" in my brain. I was imagining the mixing session for that song on a big pair of Westlake Horns or something. It seems to be missing the frequencies that the Horns overaccentuate. (Did I spell that right?)

Anyway, it probably needs just 1 1/2 db at 3 and 8 and not 2 db. We don't want to overdo it and lose that basic character of the original mix.

To answer your question(s):

The "6" is the slope on a Sontec, yes. It would be a "1" on the Massenberg Parametric. Same idea though. I use that slope because that is the exact slope that occurs in nature. Our ears can accept small EQ changes as long as the slope is natural.

Sigh. You are worming my secrets out of me one by one.

Actually, I have talked about that before in some interview or another, so I don't mind sharing it with you!

:)

6. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Don't worry Steve. Somehow I doubt learning a few EQ tricks is going to put most of us in a position to threaten your job. On the other hand, it could help us impress the hell out of our friends. I can hear it now, "Man, my copy of (your choice here) sounds like sh** compared to yours". Thanks again for imparting your knowledge.

7. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.