Jaco Pastorius S/T JSACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know where to purchase this through a domestic website (not international Amazon web sites)?

Also does anyone have this, and how is the sound quality.

Thanks,

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Try Music Direct. I think this might be one of the JSACD's that is OOP. I have it it sounds good but I have no point of reference I've never heard the regular release and the music didn't blow me away.

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

I checked Music Direct, but they do not have it.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

And HMV Japan shows it but not in stock.

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Am I right that the remastered CD that came out a few years ago was a remix? I seem to remember reading that on the back cover in a shop at the time and putting it back in the rack.....

If so, is the JSACD the same remix or the original mix?

6. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I have the JSACD and the US remastered CD. I also used to have the Japanese MasterSound CD but got rid of it because I was accumulating too many versions (I've also got the original US vinyl).

I think the JSACD sounds wonderful - very analog sounding. The original album has it's limitations, I think. There is a fair bit of variation in the sound across tracks, probably because there are many different sessions on the album. But the JSACD is the best I've ever heard the album. The MasterSound was not that different - very good indeed. The US CD is good too, and the extra tracks made it a keeper for me - but I think it's more edgy sounding than the other versions, and ultimately less satisfying. All are much better than the older CD version(s), IMO.

In retrospect, I should have kept the MasterSound - but I'm an obsessive completist fool when it comes to my favourite records. The MasterSound was smoother and less in-your-face than the newer US CD - probably closer to the JSACD. You might still be able to get it.

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Paul,

is the remastered CD you have a stereo remix? What about the SACD?

:)

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

My advice from the recent Miles Davis JSACD thread:

9. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Mal, I don't think any are remixes. The currently widely available US remaster is a 24-bit remaster with a bunch of bonus tracks. The JSACD and Japanese MasterSound CD are the original album only - no bonus tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.