Steve's Steely Dan Aja

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave, Mar 19, 2004.

1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Beattles, thanks for the info. So you prefer the DIDX-55 disc?

That would be the '91 remaster. It has the same catalog number (MCAD-37214), but the "DIDX-55" was dropped. Yes, it's different according to EAC, and it sounds lousy in comparison to the Japanese pressing, in my opinion.

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I haven't been able to listen enough to compare the two adequately. Both sound good, better than the box set.

3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Keith, I may have the same CD Beattles has. Mine is MCAD 37214 DIDY 55 CRC Made in USA. The Matrix Code reads CT-5650-1 and there are about 10 Japanese characters.

Jorge

4. KeithH

Japanese characters in the matrix code? :confused: That CT-5650-1 part is not familiar to me. I wonder where it was pressed.

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I thought the matrix code was unique too. There are no other markings to determine where it was pressed. It does have a plastic center ring. The playing time is 39m 58s.

6. KeithH

Jorge, that sure seems to be an odd disc.

7. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Hi Beattles,

I agree the DIDX CD does sound warmer. However, your EAC logfiles would indicate otherwise. It appears that your DIDX logfile (post #296) actually shows the results for the DIDY CD and your DIDY logfile (post #297) shows DIDX results.
    :confused:

8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Couple of other minor things... It has no UPC. The matrix code may be "CI" not "CT." It is etched and close together, so it is hard to read.

9. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Some of the initial difference was due to A/B from diff machines. Going with same machine, a changer and not direct A/B , the DIDY has a smoother sound with more defined base and no harshness to the upper end.

10. peter

peter Senior Member

Totally understandable, Keith. But, if SH reads this post and is hip to it, I am certainly willing to mail him mine.....Steve?????

11. peter

peter Senior Member

Steve? Can I send you my JPN. Aja for you to review?

I thought Leppo did this with KL?

Don't mean to bother you.....

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

This whole topic is very confusing. I have three Aja's right now... Can anyone say for sure that none of them are a "steve" version?

1. MCAD-37214 mfg in Japan MCAD-37214-T6E13
    2. MCAD-37214 DIDY 000055 CRC
    inner ring-"digital audio disc corp mfg in the USA"

3. MCAD-37214 mfg in Japan DIDX-55 front side DIDX-55 21A1
    inner ring-"CRS compact disc"

Help!

13. KeithH

DIDX-22 and DIDY 0000022? You are looking at the disc from the wrong side and are seeing the DIDX and DIDY numbers upside down and backwards. To see what I mean, write "DIDX-55" on a sheet of paper. Then look at the sheet of paper from the back side. It will look like "DIDX-22".

Have you compared the three discs? My Japanese JVC and CBS/Sony pressings sound the same and are identical according to EAC.

No one can answer which pressing(s) of Aja is/are Steve's because Steve has not identified any of them as his. At this point, we don't know if his mastering was ever actually released.

14. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Not really. :shake:

15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Woops... you are right...

My number 2 is actually Just DIDX 000055 and is a CRC issue....
    My number 3 is actually DIDX-5521A1....

16. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

well, i'm just so excited that i had to bring back up this thread - got lucky and scored two versions of "Aja" - one is the MFSL UDII, and the other is this one:

VDP-27 Made In Japan
    bottom of inner ring reads: VDP 27 1 3B11
    copyright is 1984

can anyone tell me if this one's a keeper and/or could possibly be Steve's mastering? :help:

i've attached a pic of the front of the CD (sorry for the blurriness and for my "getting a bit in the way").

thanx!

Attached Files:

17. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

I think it could be Steve's. The first step should be to see if it's different from the other Japanese pressings that are known. What may make it not likely to be Steve's, though, is the fact that it appears to be a CD produced in Japan for the Japanese market.

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's Perrty!

19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Cool lookin! I've never seen one before. Hope it turns out to be Steve's!

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mal played an AJA JPN CD for me a few weeks ago that sounded exactly like my work. It was a CD-R so don't know which exact version. I'm sure he will report once he gets moved back to England.

21. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

:agree: That is one of the coolest looking CDs I have ever seen. :righton:

22. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

My offer made in Post #74 is still on the table. Come on, Mal. You know you're tempted. :D

23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

24. KeithH

Cool disc! I always wondered if that one existed! I have the same type of pressing of Gaucho with catalog number VDP-26, and it sounds the same as the original U.S. MCA release with catalog number MCAD-37220. My guess is that your Aja disc is identical to the original U.S. MCA release, but I could be wrong. If you have EAC, please post the profile!

25. KeithH

I have that one, and it is identical to the original U.S. release. Like the VDP disc just discussed, the 32XD-112 disc is an early Japanese release.