I Love The Searchers!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob LoVerde, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member Thread Starter

I was listening to the Audio Fidelity SACD "The Collection" tonight, hearing the SACD layer for the first time and this music really "hit" me for the first time. I had previously thought the music was too derivative of the early Beatles but this time I heard it for what it is: Truly tasteful singing and playing, great catchy songs and excellent sound.

First question: Does anyone here kinda wish that the Beatles 1963/1964 recordings kinda sounded like this? Steve did such a great job on this...it has a warm tone, a roundness...very clean. I love that sound! Only on a track here or there did they use echo or reverb and then things get a tad "smeary", but overall the sound they acheived is enviable...I wish TODAY'S records sounded like this, I do!

I love the way the Beatles sound, don't get me wrong...at this point, I can't divorce the sound from the music, though. I wonder what those early Beatles songs would have sounded like given the recording treatment that the Searchers were given. "I Feel Fine" is similar, except the vocals; Echo City! Anyone else wonder?

Second question: Now my appetite for Searchers music is whetted. Any thoughts here on the two MFSL two-fer gold CDs? Just curious...

Thanks all...

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Rob,

The Searchers records were recorded using American Ampex equipment, etc. The engineers wanted an "American Sound". That accounts for some of the warmth; that tube Ampex 300-3 has a "glow".

Most of the Searchers I've heard on CD including the MoFi are really not great. Mono mainly (pinched and weird sounding) and the main problem is in tape vault research. There are so many dubs of dubs of those songs that it's only possible to find a master if you have the friggin' TAPE BOX NUMBER. And if you don't know how to find that number you can't find the right versions of the songs, etc. unless you want to wade through 30 different tapes of LOVE POTION NUMBER NINE for two days. And since they are mainly on the same tape stock you have to judge by ear which is the best. Catch 22.

3. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I don't want to threadcrap, but there's an acoustic cover of "Don't Throw Your Love" on my upcoming CD project. :)

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Steve:

In addition to the Audio Fidelity SACD "The Collection," did you also master the 1988 Rhino CD "The Searchers Greatest Hits" (#RS 75773)? The liner notes don't list a mastering engineer, but they do say "Special Thanks to Steve Hoffman."

And if so, is that collection a mix of mono and stereo, or stereo only?

Were you able to get better masters, and create better sound, on the redbook layer of the Audio Fidelity disc?

5. william shears

william shears Senior Member

I don't have your cd yet Steve. But I do have this one..all stereo and it sounds quite nice on some tracks. (mastered by 'Bruce Sheldrick') Interesting that you mention the mono tracks. Are the tracks on your mastering mono or stereo..do you prefer the stereo mixes?
    The Searchers are certainly cool. Archetypal merseybeat
    :righton:

6. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Just listening to 'Goodbye My Love'...man what awesome guitar on that sucker. Incredible track :)

7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Rob or Steve,

is there a Searchers CD with the (correct) mono mixes that you like? It would be a good companion CD to the Audio Fidelity release.

8. Steve Hoffman

There is only one that I can recommend. Remember, the mono mixes of this stuff is a "BEATLES FOR SALE" type thing. The monos are heavily compressed compared to the more lifelike stereo versions that I used; also, a lot more echo on the monos. At any rate, this is the one that is "Steve Approved" to sound just like the mono tapes:

THE SEARCHERS/"HITS COLLECTION"

PRT, England

PYC-4002

Published 1987

With the purple cover with "Hits Collection" in YELLOW and the name Searchers in white on the title treatment.

Hope this helps. Shouldn't be too hard to find the correct version.

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Thanks a lot!

10. Dawson

Dawson New Member

11. Steve Hoffman

A word to the wise:

If you like the Searchers, or think you might like them in the future, grab the Audio Fidelity SACD, even if you don't have an SACD player. (The CD layer has the same "tonality"; it has everything but the extra bit of DSD resolution).

This SACD is going out of print soon so get yours while you still can; it uses all the correct stereo mixes of all songs, some which are so rare that this is the first appearance in stereo of a 40 year old mix!

This Searchers disc was compiled and mastered with loving care by a true fan (me). You will like it.

Do to the license structuring, the SEARCHERS SACD will go out of print before the ZOMBIES SACD. So, take heed, grab this disc before you have to go to eBay!

This is the Audio Fidelity SACD page. Scroll down. (Remember, just a three year license!)

http://www.audiofidelity.net/pc-sacd.html

12. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Thank you for the heads-up, Steve!

I just placed an order at Amazon for both the Searchers & the Zombies! Next up, I will most likely order the Donovan...and my first ever Gold CD, "Minute By Minute".

Dexter

13. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have this SACD and it is like hearing this group for the first time. I can speak from experience because I was in my mid-teens when the English invasion groups hit the US. Great job Steve.

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've loved the Searchers from the beginning. I currently own the 2001 reissues of the first 5 albums on Castle. These include stereo and mono mixes as well as non-album tracks. Also the Castle 2CD BBC Sessions and the single CD Swedish Radio Sessions are must haves (IMHO). From there I go to the Bear Family Live at the Star Club CD. My original group CDs end with the Audio Fidelity SACD and a 2CD Castle 1963-2003 set (for a few stray tracks). Finally I have a Taragon Complete RCA/UK Recordings and a Raven Sire Sessions to almost complete the story. A Searchers box ala the Zombies would be nice! You can't have too much of a great thing, can you?

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I'm not surprised Rob likes the sound of this disc. When I got it I played Love Potion for days after just to listen to the fidelity. It took me a while to hear the song, if you know what I mean. :laugh:

I think I even started a thread asking Steve how he mastered it. Just an Ampex tube mixer, eh? Those engineers really had their stuff together to sound that good without EQ. Thank you Steve for letting these tracks get through the mastering process without mutilation.

16. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Steve, fortunately I have this one and your's, too.

Wunnerful stuff.

THANKS!

mud-:D

17. Steve Hoffman

Jamie,

As I mentioned in that earlier SEARCHRS thread I used the 1960 Ampex line mixer as my "mastering console", bypassing the official gear. From that tube mixer right into the DSD recorder. Heh, it looked pretty sparse in the studio but it came out great... The 1959 Ampex 351-2P playback deck I used didn't hurt, either! (See below pictures).

Attached Files:

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Simple is better :)

20. Steve Hoffman

I keep forgetting to mention that an analog cut 180 gram VINYL version of my SEARCHERS title will be released in a month by MsMusic. This LP test pressing from RTI sounds great (if I do say so myself) and I think you will be pleased with it.

More details when I actually see one in my hands...

21. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Y'know, many are of the thinking that each group that came out had its unique sound, and that was it...nothing else like it. But that just isn't true. For my English 1.2 final paper (back in '70) I wrote about the history of rock, and its derivatives and the early rock here, and the echos of it in the UK, and then back to here.The paper ended up being over 30 pages.....

The Searchers, the Beatles, etc., copied our rock, but with their feel. The Beatles If I Needed Someone and the Byrds I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better, are the same harmonies.

Each group added according to their personnel, and the flavor changed.

I remember when CS&N came out, and was told by some girl, what a unique sound, and I said, hey, take a listen to the Byrds, the Buffalo Springfield and the Hollies before you say that. Yes, CSN was great but it was an evolution equal to its roots and parts.

Soooo, the Who and the early Small Faces came from similar roots and sounded similar.
    Not Fade Away ain't too far from a Yardbirds Raveup, at least the beginning of one...What the groups did with the sound, making it their own, that's when things got even more interesting.

A little raving myself...please excuse me!

22. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member Thread Starter

Wow, I've never had one of my threads "stickified" before. :)

Thanks for the responses, everyone...

I would urge anyone even remotely interested in this type of music to get the Audio Fidelity SEARCHERS Hybrid-SACD while you can. Why wait 'til it's too late?

23. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, if you don't mind.. what exactly did/do you use the Ampex line mixer for? EQ? 'Spice'?

24. Steve Hoffman

Fair question. No EQ was used. The Ampex mixer has a wonderful sound and is in demand mainly as a microphone mixer. I used it as level control trying to simulate the old board that they would have used to mix and master this in the 1960's. It added a certain realistic palpability to the sound and kept it tube amplified from the original tube mix playback all the way down the line to the DSD recorder. Do you agree?

25. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Outside of the Beatles & Stones, the Searchers are one of my favorite British Invasion bands, hands down!

The more I heard them, the more I liked them. They didn't have a long enough career were they would progress like the Beatles & Stones did. In a way I'm kind of glad about that. If you take their first album or the fifth album, it was the same great performance and great selection of songs in the same vain.

Yeah, the Searchers rule!!! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.