Barney Kessel "to Swing or not to Swing" Comtemporary Records' stereo/mono history...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Could anyone tell me when this particular version that I have was manufactured. Yellow label with black lettering. Second pressing? It is MONO and sounds quite good. I know the original release came out in 1955. More than anything I'm curious as to how long they released the mono sides, or was this one NEVER released in Stereo??

Thanks in advance....... :)

2. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Not in real stereo AFAIK. I don't think Orin Keepknews was set up for mult-track recording back then. He mentioned in his thread when he began using multi-tracks, but I highly doubt it would be as early as 1955. The CD, BTW, is in mono, if there were a stereo mix it surely would have been released on CD bypassing the mono mix.

3. Ronflugelguy

I think you are confusing the Riverside label which Orrin was involved with. Lester Koenig producer and Roy Dunann supervising engineer on these sides.

4. Another Side

Ooops :eek:

You are correct. Nevertheless, I don't think there is a stereo issue.

5. Ronflugelguy

So this is probably not a fifties pressing, but a sixties or early seventies pressing?

6. Another Side

Definitely not a 70's pressing. The label was different. The yellow label with the black lettering was the original label for LP's (AFAIK). This is an original LP with the yellow label:

[​IMG]

I see that the LP looks like it's laminated. Is yours laminated?

7. Ronflugelguy

Its a light lamination. So where does the Black Label with the yellow lettering fall?

8. Another Side

You mean yellow label with black lettering right? :confused:

I have never seen any original Contemporary LP's without the yellow label. But I know they issued 10" and EP's before, and those may have had a different label. I don't know when they switched to the later label. You could check the matrix numbers.

BTW, I checked and there was no Contemporary issue of "To Swing or Not to Swing" in stereo.

9. Ronflugelguy

Ther are also Black labels which i think are earlier. I have a Shelly Manne & his men "Swinging Sounds in Stereo" which has a black label, too bad it is NOT in playable condition. :(

10. Another Side

Now that you mention it, I do remember those. I don't know the answer, though. I know that when their stereo records came out, they often had different titles and covers, I wonder if they had different labels also.

11. Ronflugelguy

Where's Tom Port when you need him! :)

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So much misinformation on this thread.

Yellow labels with black writing are the standard CONTEMPORARY labels of the 1950's.

Black labels with light writing are STEREO CONTEMPORARY labels after they STOPPED using the "Stereo Masters" label for the early stereo stuff.

This Barney Kessel album was recorded in mono at Capitol Records' Studio on Melrose (up the street from Contemporary) by John Palladino. Mono only.

When Contemporary opened its own studio in early 1956 they started recording in stereo, first album being SHELLY MANNE & HIS MEN "More Swingin' Sounds".

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

As SH suggests, your LP is an original Mono pressing of this title. Sound is by Roy Dunance and Lester Koenig. It was recorded in Contemporary's Studios-Mailroom. It is a very nice find in good shape and a sonic delight. Treasure it!

14. Another Side

Well that was essentially what I was saying: the yellow label with black writing was the original label. It was a mono only issue. Contemporary did not start recording in stereo until after 1955. I don't see where the misinformation is Steve (other than my goof confusing Contemporary with Riverside :hide: ).

15. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, didn't mean you. I was confused!

16. Another Side

No problem, Steve.

While trying to answer the stereo part of the question, I read that Contemporary was the first jazz label to record in stereo. First of all is that true, as far as you know? I assume that they didn't start releasing records in stereo until later. What was the recording process like for them. I mean did they just start using two-track when they got their own studio?

17. Steve Hoffman

First label to record JAZZ in stereo, yes.

They were on Melrose. Capitol Studios was on Melrose at the time. They did their sessions at Capitol until Capitol closed the studio and relocated to Vine Street in the round building. John Palladino helped Les, Roy and Howard build their own studio in the CONTEMPORARY office stockroom. They figured why pay for sessions at the "new" Capitol (they raised their rates) when they could just build their own room?

So, they got an Ampex 350 and a 350-2, mixing board, three tube microphones and went to town. So, at the beginning of 1956 they started recording "double" tapings, both mono and two-track stereo.

18. Another Side

I saw that in the Orin Keepnews thread you asked him why they started this practice of "double tapings". Why do YOU think they would have started to essentially record twice (albeit at the same time). Did they think stereo was around the corner?

19. Steve Hoffman

Remember, Orrin's label was in NYC. They started in 1957 to tape "binaural" sessions and then not every one, just selected sessions.

In LA, Contemporary recorded EVERYTHING in stereo after the beginning of 1956. Why? The new stereo tape consumer market was started and they needed stuff. 7 1/2 open reel tapes were big in the Audiophile world. This had nothing to do with phonograph records. All of the labels who wanted to cash in on the Open Reel tape craze (RCA-Victor, Capitol, Contemporary and a few others) started recording in "binaural" for that very reason.

When stereo LP's came along in late 1958, that was icing on the cake; the labels had a backlong of stereo stuff to release. Other labels (like Decca) had to play catch up, having recorded nothing in stereo until the middle of 1958. They even had to go back and beg a stereo tape from Todd-AO of their best selling AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS soundtrack!

20. Another Side

That's fascinating! I never realized that it had nothing to do with LP's. Were there many releases in stereo tape in the fifties?

21. Steve Hoffman

Hunderds and hundreds. Real two track, not that crappy later four track. Amazing sound on some of them. My buddy Tom Null is a collector and has every one ever made. His collection could stretch a mile if laid out end to end!

22. Ronflugelguy

Steve, thanks for all the info! I guess $10 for a good clean mono was a steal!!!This Lp sounds great.

23. Steve Hoffman

Enjoy it; great music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.