Sibilence on DCC Paul Simon LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Senior Member Thread Starter

Need to compare notes here. I just got a sealed copy of Paul Simon's 1st LP on DCC, and there is quite a bit of sibilence on Pauls vocal track. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it my copy? Beautiful otherwise. Silent vinyl, great sound, bass, dynamics, tape hiss, its all here, another beautiful job by Steve.

Thanks In Advanvce

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I haven't noticed any at all. This record is incredible, isn't it!

Anyway, do you hear sibilance on the whole LP or just near the center?

dan c

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It might be your Grado (I used to have a Sonata, which I sold). The DCC LP's weren't usually the easiest records to track properly.

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I never see this record on ebay. I'd love to get it.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Uh-Oh! Grado!

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Grado :thumbsdn:

DCC PSimon LP :thumbsup:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

All the DCC albums (in fact every album I've ever worked on) were and are cut with Big Boy School carts in mind. I don't shave off top end or compress the music to make it easier to track the record. Mistracking occurs because some carts are not up to tracking the complex groove. In that case it is time to change carts. The ones with the best trackability are number one in my book. Everything starts with that; if your cart cannot track correctly who cares what it sounds like? It will wear away your expensive records and you will be left with a permanent mistracking album.

End of doom and gloom post. :)

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The sad thing is I understand that some cartridges with big boy prices still don't track as well as their price should demand.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Basically, yes. There are really inexpensive carts that track well. Some expensive ones track terribly, but Grado's seem to have a lot of problems as reported here on the forums. I can't stand their carts and headphones, but some people love em! YMMV.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Worth mentioning that when Paul Simon sings into a microphone, he happens to emphasize "s's".

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Glad I dumped my Grado awhile back. My Shure M97XE is a lot better.

The Paul Simon LP sounds great by the way.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I bought this and the DCC "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" shortly after they respectively came out, thinking that they'd surely sell-out in a hurry. Sadly it seems like no one else bought them and the series prematurely ended. :sigh: :(

Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds had these LPs listed at fair prices for a very long time.

dan c

13. John

Hi Guys- I have the Grado Reference Master cartridge. Can this be the source of the sibilence? I only hear the sililence on the "S" sounds when Paul is singing loudly close to the mike. If so what are some cartridges that may provide better tracking? I would like to stay with a moving magnet if possible.

14. John

Hi Dan- Yes, this record is incredible. Im surprised that it wasnt mentioned more in reviews from the audiophile mags.

15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Sometimes, records are just cut a bit too hot for most of us who buy them. Even audiophile pressings are bought by those of us that cannot afford a Roksan or Music Hall, etc. along with a suitable cartridge made out of imported asian wood with little designs on it.

I have read that just reducing the overall level even by just 1dB or so when a cutting a master lacquer can make an otherwise hard-to-track LP more properly "trackable" by the less than $$$$$$ turntable/tonearm combos.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You've read wrong. One db? C'mon, that's nothing..

The lower the level the more surface noise you hear. The magic ratio is what I strive for on my stuff. Get a Shure M15; save money.

17. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I've listened to my Paul Simon DCC LP on a Technics 1200 and a couple of Denon turntables, using either a Shure V15 or an Audio Technica 440 cartidge. I've never heard any sibilance, and I've had no tracking problems. You don't need a $$$$$ table, just a well designed one that is properly set up.

18. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I agree; the DCC Paul Simon LP sounds just lovely to me, no sibilance problems to speak of. (The virtual disappearance of sibilance in general was one of the things that most impressed me when I upgraded from a Benz Micro MC20E-II, which was not a very good tracker at all, to a Dynavector 10x4 on my Rega.)

19. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

Not to get off-topic, but I had a question about sibilance, Why did I not notice it so much on LPs? CDs seem to bring it out more, unless they're mastered really good. Some Lennon songs like "I Am The Walrus" and "Number 9 Dream". Is it the excessive echo that causes it?

20. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Well, I have a Grado Sonata, and I've never ever had a problem with sibilance EXCEPT for the U.S. "A Hard Days' Night" lp. And those (mono) recordings sound almost exactly the same on cd, same problem, and really only on "And I Love Her."

To be fair, I don't have the Paul Simon DCC, but I've never had a problem tracking the few DCC lps that I own. I never had a problem tracking any other lps except for the HDN album above, which I believe is a problem inherent in the U.S. HDN tape.

The Grado Sonata is a great cart. It is beautiful in the midrange, especially on female vocals. Don't count it out just because it's not super-cheap, you will lose out on a wonderful listening experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.