Check out my David Bowie find! Tell us about your surprise finds!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Ever go shopping for music and find something that you never in your wildest dreams thought you would find? Here's mine. I found the Bowie CDs pictured below all sealed in blister packs! They were not free, but not what I consider to be overpriced either. I still can't believe it. What have you found in your travels that you still can't believe? Share your stories!

Attached Files:

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Nice treasure!

3. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Keith, were those made in Japan?

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Keith...what are they doing on your lawn? :p :p :p

Seriously, great find.... :thumbsup:

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

are you gonna open 'em? 'cause I'm still curious whether the US RCA copy of 'Lodger' that I had where one channel dropped out from 'DJ' on was an anomaly.

6. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I found 3 RCA Bowie's less than a year ago for $6.49 each all in great condition.

7. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Anyone have an extra The Man Who Sold The World RCA to sell?

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have that Japan Tonight CD......sounds great(though the album itself is another story)!

Evan

9. KeithH

Yes, they are all Japanese pressings.

10. KeithH

No, I will not be opening them. Unfortunately, I do not have an open copy of Lodger...yet.

Is this drop out on "D.J." short or are you saying that one channel is missing on the entire song?

It's interesting that you have a U.S. pressing of Lodger on RCA, as one rarely sees U.S. pressings of the RCA Bowie discs. The only one I have is of Peter and the Wolf.

11. KeithH

:laugh:

I thought someone might get on me for putting them on the floor, like eBay sellers with LPs. ;)

12. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

That's amazing. You're very lucky, not only because you found those hard-to-find editions, but SEALED! You should stop doing what you're doing and go out to buy a lottery ticket ;)

13. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Great find!
    I was happy 2 weeks ago when I found a used DCC of Elton John's Greatest Hits on CD for $12. It was minus the slip cover but since I can't play the slip cover in my CD player I could care less. The disc is just about mint too!!

PAT

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I dumped the 'Lodger' soon after I got it and picked up a UK copy (currently reasonably happy with the Ryko) but, as I remember it, one channel completely drops out just after 'DJ' starts through the entire rest of (what was) side 2 of the album. it's mainly silent with the occasional crackle and sputtering (kind of like if the connector was loose) I think it starts back up again before 'Red Money' hits, but I wouldn't swear to it (this was almost 20 years ago). it's like something went wrong in the control room, and there was no one manning the station to monitor it, and no one checked the master before pressing it. carelessness to the extreme.

15. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

:agree: Yes, I found the following sealed Tommy James LPs today:

Travelin' (1970), Tommy James (1970) and My Head, My Bed & My Red Guitar (1971)

Attached Files:

16. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I found a RCA Young Americans CD at Amoeba yesterday for about 6 bucks. Wish I would have found what you found!

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

What CD is that of Bowie doing a high-kick in the air in the picture?

18. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

I found a surprise in my own collection the other day. In the mids '90s, I traded in miscellaneous CDs for 2 new Brian Eno box sets (that's all I could find worth the trade).. Instrumental Box and Vocal Box. I never opened them, because I have most early Eno on CD and I don't like the ambient stuff. Now, I see people selling the Instrumental box for $300 opened. I thought they were worthless. I'm tempted to crack open the Vocal Box.

19. KeithH

That's The Man Who Sold The World.

20. KeithH

Any RCA Bowie is a good find! You did good! I've found used RCA Bowies in CD shops on occasion. It's a rare occurrence, but it does happen!

21. KeithH

Leppo, I'm not a vinyl hound. Are those LPs rare and/or are they original pressings, by chance?

22. Wowzer! :righton: I only have one Bowie RCA CD Fame And Fashion (David Bowie's All Time Greatest Hits).

Attached Files:

23. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Yes, they're original Roulette Records pressings. BTW, I plan to open and play 'em. :agree:

24. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

I haven't been to a used CD store in ages, but I used to see a lot of Japanese and West German pressings. I figure people sold them when they got the remasters (tons from KISS). Little did they know that the remasters were inferior. I picked up RCAs of Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane (because they were cheap used). I didn't know until recently that they were better. I was playing (my old used RCA copy) of Ziggy and my brother said "That CD sounds fantastic". I looked at him bewildered, because we had all heard the other reissues. Now, I know the subtle differences.

Finding them sealed in blister packs is a rare find. Congrats! Was it a store or on-line? I found a Genesis Live in blister pack at a store recently, but never several discs.

Ps: I hate to think how many CDs I sold that I wish I still had. Like the Target for Avalon. All I remember is it had a grey face. Well, you live and you learn.

25. matt_vinyl

matt_vinyl Forum Resident

I had a fantastic vinyl discovery last weekend ! I picked up just under 500 45's and some EP's from a house quite by chance ! (mostly UK label originals). Some of the more interesting ones included the original mis-pressing of 'Runaway' by Del Shannon on UK London which plays 'The Snake' by Maximillian on the B-side instead of 'Jody!'. Also was a UK Polydor 45 of 'My Bonnie' by some singer called Tony Sheridan with a group called The Beatles (!) , and several Ventures 45's including a few Japanese pressings. Many demos and promos were in there (including a Jerry Lee on Sun) so I assume they were once part of a radio station or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.