New Sundazed Byrds LP Another Dimension

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

http://www.sundazed.com/store/index_recent.html

Anyone have this yet? Sundazed doesn't have a detailed track list up but their site says Another Dimension contains "alternate instrumental takes and extended experimental workouts....and early versions of songs before the addition of strings, percussion and sound effects." Their are only 2 tracks with audio samples - Wild Mountain Thyme without the strings and what sounds like the backing track of Eight Miles High. If anyone has details of the other tracks please post them. Sound like a neat release. Now if I only had a turntable :o

BTW, you can't link directly to this title on the Sundazed site. Search for Byrds and you will see it along with the Sanctuary LP's..

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Track listing is now up:

TRACK LISTING

EIGHT MILES HIGH
    WHY
    RYDER (I Know My Rider)
    JOHN RILEY I
    2–4–2 FOX TROT (The Lear Jet Song)
    PSYCHODRAMA CITY
    JOHN RILEY II
    WILD MOUNTAIN THYME
    HEY JOE (Where You Gonna Go)
    I SEE YOU
    WHAT’S HAPPENING?!?!
    CAPTAIN SOUL(30 Minute Break)

This sounds very cool indeed!

3. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Wow!

4. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Saw a copy of this at my local indy shop here in the 'Burgh. It's actually 2 10" records in a gatefold sleeve. It was sealed so I couldn't open it up but it looked really nice, in terms of presentation and design. I didn't pick it up, though - ran out of $$$ halfway through the store :p

I'd be interested in hearing details from a Byrds fan who has this.

Chris

5. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I saw it too! I bet you were at Paul's CDs. What time were you there?

6. Chris M

Well, that's the tracklist but the site doesn't mention how those tracks are different. I would imagine it's a bunch of underdubs and backing tracks....

7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Actually, "Alternate instrumental takes and extended experimental workouts give essential insight here into the songs’ final versions" is fairly descriptive.

8. Chris M

Sure, it's descriptive but I want details! What tracks are alternate takes, what overdubs are missing from each track, that kind of stuff...

9. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I received from SUNDAZED last week, but have not had the time to really dig into it yet. Eight Miles High is pretty intense, and Crosby's rhythm playing does come to the fore, as the thumbnail suggests. Ryder is a bit rougher-sounding. The gatefold package is nice, with alternate cover shots, and March '66 Press Conference transcription on the inside.

For the record, from the liner notes:

SIDE ONE
    EIGHT MILES HIGH 4:08 - instrumental tracks - take 2
    WHY 2:58 - instrumental tracks - take 17
    RYDER (I Know My Rider) 2:55- instrumental tracks - take 9

SIDE TWO
    JOHN RILEY I 4:14 - instrumental tracks - take 2
    2–4–2 FOX TROT (The Lear Jet Song) 2:25 - long version instrumental, without sound effects
    PSYCHODRAMA CITY 2:58 - instrumental tracks - take 1

SIDE THREE
    JOHN RILEY II 2:57 - completed early master, no string overdubs
    WILD MOUNTAIN THYME 2:31 - completed early master, no string overdubs
    HEY JOE (Where You Gonna Go) 2:37 - radio broadcast -Radiohuset (Studio 4) - Stockholm

SIDE FOUR
    I SEE YOU 2:42 - completed early master, longer version, without overdubs
    WHAT’S HAPPENING?!?! 3:25 - completed master, long version, partial alternate vocal
    CAPTAIN SOUL(30 Minute Break) 2:54 - completed early master, longer version, without overdubs

I haven't gotten around to pulling out the liner notes from NEVER BEFORE (Murray Hill), which have a pretty complete sessionography, to compare these takes with the released takes.

BTW, between these tracks, the recent CANCELLED FLYTES singles box, the exclusive Boston / You Moving single, and a couple of exclusive SANCTUARY tracks (Time Between (instrumental) and Have You Seen Her Face (acoustic mix)), there is a decent CD's worth of Sundazed vinyl-only material. (Granted, the CANCELLED FLYTES material is likely identical to those same tracks on THE COLUMBIA SINGLES '65-'67, which is rumored to be scheduled for CD release.)

This really whets my appetite for the Rhythm Mixes / Backing Tracks from YTY, which have been in circulation for 10 years at least, according to Rogan (Timeless Flight). I love YTY - probably my favorite Byrds' album - and a collection of alternates and instrumentals from those sessions would just be the best.

10. Chris M

Thanks Ron!!!! BTW, do you know what mixes are unique to Canceled Flytes?

11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Chris, I don't know that ANY of the CANCELLED FLYTES mixes are unique to that release - they probably are identical to THE COLUMBIA SINGLES. But they have been mastered to vinyl, so they may sound different. Again, I haven't really given them a detailed listen. To do that, I would have to burn to CD, for listening in the car, and my personal techology is in some disarray right now.

12. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Funny, because I heard about Paul's from you in an old thread about indy shops. I was actually wondering if I might ever run into you there. :)

I was there Monday, right after lunch (at Tessaro's) around 1:30. :righton:

Got a few cool things there, but not that Byrds set. You?

Chris

13. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I was there yesterday around 2:30. I picked up the new Ryan Adams. I was turned on to that store by another member here, too -- great store!

14. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

1st records is almost inaudible: just instrumental basis before voices overdub... karaoke stuff.
    2nd I'nd it's a little better... out-takes. for very very hard core fans only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.