Fairport Convention:the Fairport/Sandy/Richard song by song thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Not a fan of Fairport/Denny/Lucas Dylan cover versions and given how good song writers they were, I felt they were completely unnecessary.

This is better than most but not a patch on Dylan's own version

DiBosco, Bowland and lemonade kid like this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

lemonade kid likes this.
  3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I love this track, but it does remind me more of a Richard and Linda Thompson song for some reason. Richards influence maybe a little too strong on this and could easily have been on I Want To See The Bright Lights with the brass section etc.

SMRobinson and lemonade kid like this.
  4. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Yes...I hear the influence to.

Kiss73 likes this.
  5. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I agree. Apart from Elvis, who copies Dylan's phasing, but with his own perfect voice, there are no cover versions of this song superior to Bob's original.

lemonade kid and Kiss73 like this.
  6. lemonade kid

Track listing
    All tracks credited to Sandy Denny unless otherwise stated

1. "It'll Take a Long Time" - 5:13
    2. "Sweet Rosemary" - 2:29
    3. "For Nobody to Hear" - 4:14
    4. "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" (Bob Dylan) - 3:56
    5. "The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" (Music: Traditional; Lyrics: Richard Fariña) - 4:28
    6. "Listen, Listen" - 3:58
    7. "The Lady" - 4:01
    8. "Bushes and Briars" - 3:53
    9. "It Suits Me Well" - 5:05
    10. "The Music Weaver" - 3:19
    The remastered and reissued version included five bonus tracks:

1. "Here In Silence" (Peter Elford, Don Fraser) - 3:53[8]
    2. "Man of Iron" (Peter Elford, Don Fraser) - 7:40[8]
    3. "Sweet Rosemary" [Demo Version] - 3:00[9]
    4. "Ecoute, Ecoute" - 3:59[10]
    5. "It'll Take a Long Time" [Live Version] - 5:22[9]
    Personnel
    Production

7. lemonade kid

track 5) The Quiet Joys Of Brotherhood (Music: Traditional; Lyrics: Richard Fariña)

Showcasing the effortless quiet beauty of just Sandy's voice, unaccompanied by
    instruments (but with Swarb on solo violin to close it beautifully).
    Brilliantly backed...by Sandy herself on harmonies.
    Stunning!

5/5, if we're into ratings!

SMRobinson, Bowland and Kiss73 like this.
  8. lemonade kid

track 6) Listen Listen (Denny)

God I love this one...brilliant backing by Richard on mandolin, Pat on bass and Timi in the pocket on the kit.
    Beautiful string arrangement by Harry Robinson.

This one soars.

SMRobinson likes this.
  9. lemonade kid

Linda Thompson on Sandy Denny

SMRobinson, Jonny W and WaterLemon like this.
  10. lemonade kid

Richard Thompson on Fairport and Sandy Denny's "Gustav Mahler emotional see-saw"

SMRobinson, Dignan2000 and WaterLemon like this.
  11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This is one of the reasons I am a music fan. Music does not get any more perfect than this. Sandys vocals are incredible on this and that solo by Swarbrick is one of my favourite moments in music, full stop. Its not flash or fast - just perfect for the piece. Gives me goose bumps every time I listen to it.

Bowland, lemonade kid and MrCJF like this.
  12. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

This is one of Sandy's best.

lemonade kid likes this.
  13. lemonade kid

two more favorites up today...

track 7) The Lady (Denny)

Damn...what a brilliant songwriter...and what an amazing talent!
    Love the string arrangement...chills.

14. lemonade kid

track 8) Bushes & Briars (Denny)

Wow wow wow....amazingly beautiful. A true fave!! :love::love::love::love::love:
    Time to pull out my vinyl...:agree:...always love this one.

Legendary Sneaky Pete adds his pedal steel making for such a sweet sweet element.

SMRobinson, Gasman1003 and Kiss73 like this.
  15. lemonade kid

BTW, @Kiss73 ...love your Swarb avatar...

[​IMG]

SMRobinson, Gasman1003 and Dignan2000 like this.
  16. lemonade kid

This is the only Swarb vinyl I have...still in the (opened) shrink...sweet.

[​IMG]

Gasman1003, Kiss73 and Dignan2000 like this.
  17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Why, thank you.

It not only happens to be a great image, however I am a big fan of Swarbrick and this album in particular. Its a fully instrumental album of Scottish and Irish tunes, Jigs and Reels. I became aware of Fairport first through What We Did On Our Holidays - which Swarb doesn't even appear on - but through reading about the band, bought this one day in a shop - and to be honest it wasn't what I was expecting it to be - in my naivety at that point I was expecting something more akin to Fairport I recall first listening to it - and to be frank I am not much of a traditional folk music fan and wsnt sure initially if I was enjoying it- but I sat blown away at the level of playing (not unlike the first time I heard Charlie Parker) and played the album over and over thereafter.

From there it opened the associated world of artists Swarb played with, including Fairport, Martin Carthy, Ian Campbell Folk Group, A.L Lloyd amongst many more.

SMRobinson likes this.
  18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Great album.....

So leading on from my tale above.....as I started collecting Swarbrick albums, of course I picked up albums by Martin Carthy and Swarbrick.....I would sit late at night listening to them with my headphones on and loved Swarbrick, but was less sure about this Carthy bloke. The voice is an acquired taste - but he sure could play guitar. My first album was Prince Heathen and then I picked up another, then another...and before long had acquired the taste required to appreciate Carthy and that set me off buying his solo albums.

Luckily I have seen Swarb and Carthy live as well as Martin on his own .

Its a testament to their skills that their last studio album together - Straws In The Wind - in 2006, is as good as their first from 1965

lemonade kid and SMRobinson like this.
  19. lemonade kid

track 9) It Suits Me Well (Denny)

What a perfectly beautiful track and arrangement. Such a fine production too
    with Sandy up front, center. Perfect. Just another example of what a great ambience Sound Techniques had.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

track 10) The Music Weaver (Denny)

This closing track says it all...Sandy: The Music Weaver indeed.
    Brilliant! Lovely...chills. The violin...chills.

[​IMG]

21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Up there with my favourite Sandy Denny tracks. Love the story of Jan The Gypsy - simply a great piece of writing.

Dave Swarbrick did a version of this on his Smiddyburn album following Sandys death as a tribute.

You may recognise a few of the musicians that played on Smiddyburn - a Full House reunion.

jaxpads, lemonade kid and Bowland like this.
  22. lemonade kid

The next round...two by Richard, one by Sandy before Fairport resumes.

:tiphat:

Fairport....

1. Rising for the Moon (1975)
    2. Gottle O'Geer (1976)
    3. The Bonny Bunch of Roses (1977)
    4. Tipplers Tales (1978)
    5. Gladys' Leap (1985)
    6. Expletive Delighted! (1986)
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Sandy...

Solo live albums
    ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Richard...

May 1974 - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight Richard and Linda Thompson
    September 1974 - Hokey Pokey Richard and Linda Thompson — —
    1975 Pour Down Like Silver Richard and Linda Thompson

23. lemonade kid

So the next three in order of release:

1) Richard & Linda -- I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight -- released May 1974
    2) Sandy -- Like An Old fashioned Waltz -- May 1974
    3) Richard & Linda -- Hokey Pokey September 1974

24. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

The twofer of “Smiddyburn/Flittin’” has long been a favorite of mine. Beryl Marriott is so great!

Kiss73 and lemonade kid like this.
  25. lemonade kid

I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
    is the second album released by Richard Thompson, and his first to include his then wife, Linda Thompson, the pair being credited as Richard and Linda Thompson. It was issued by Island Records in the UK in 1974. Although the album did not sell and was critically ignored (and not released outside of the UK until by Hannibal Records in 1983), it has been descried as "a timeless masterpiece" and considered one of the finest releases by the two singers, whether working singly or together. -wiki

• John Wood – producer and engineer...another classic from the soundboard of Mr. Wood!

[​IMG]

Background
    After the marked lack of success achieved by his first album, Henry the Human Fly, British singer-songwriter/guitarist Richard Thompson started a personal and professional relationship with Linda Peters, a session singer. I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight was the first album by the duo of Richard and Linda Thompson.

Sessions for the album took place at the Sound Techniques studio in Chelsea, London, over a few weeks during spring 1973, with house engineer John Wood co-producing with Thompson. The album, provisionally titled Hokey Pokey, was recorded on a shoestring budget of £2,500; owing to vinyl shortages, it was not released until 1974.[2]

Where his first album was treated harshly by the critics, the second was eventually hailed as a masterpiece. It is now regarded as a classic of English folk rock and one of the Thompsons' finest achievements.

In the sleeve notes for the 2004 CD re-release, David Suff writes: "Throughout the album Richard's sombre, dark songs are driven by his masterful understated guitar and Linda's haunting spiritual vocals. The songs detail a beautiful yet desolate world of life before the fall, the lives of the homeless, the thief and the inebriate. The songs are thoroughly English in their mood and responsibility, wry observations of the hopelessness of the human condition."[2] Considering the song "End of the Rainbow", Suff writes:

Richard denies that the song is totally pessimistic, "there's always hope in the third verse of my songs" yet the overall effect is a magnificent evocation of disillusionment. Thompson's songs are despairing but not self-pitying, leaving the listener with an abiding sense of peace and, paradoxically hope.[2]

[​IMG]

Reception

Initially ignored by reviewers, I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight later came to be highly regarded. Robert Christgau rated it highly when it was re-released as one-half of Live! (More or Less) noting that "[they] don't sentimentalize about time gone—they simply encompass it in an endless present."[6] When it was re-released in 1984, along with other albums in the Thompsons' catalogue, Kurt Loder writing in Rolling Stone described it as a "timeless masterpiece" with "not a single track that's less than luminous".[8]

More recent reviews are equally complimentary. AllMusic notes that the album is "nothing short of a masterpiece" and calls it "music of striking and unmistakable beauty".[3] Q (May 2007, p. 135): "After his 1971 departure from Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson found his ideal foil in recent bride Linda. A hugely inventive guitarist, he gives full vent to his talent on this dark, brooding album. Indeed, he never quite recaptured the murky demons inside the likes of 'Withered and Died' ever again." In the 2004 CD re-release, Chris Jones at the BBC noted that "Bright Lights...performs the most perfect balancing act between hard-bitten cynicism and honest humanism."[11]

It was voted number 814 in the third edition of Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums (2000).[12] In 2003 the album was placed at number 479 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, and was placed at number 485 in the 2020 edition.[13][14] The album also appeared in the Mojo "100 Greatest Albums Ever Made".[2]

Writing for Something Else! in 2018, Preston Frazier said, "'The Great Valerio' is just one gem among gems. Richard Thompson's writing is masterful, painting in broad, vivid strokes. Time indeed stands still as Linda Thompson tells the vivid tale, with a hint of detached anxiety... Featuring only Linda's voice and Richard Thompson's Kensington-style picked acoustic, 'The Great Valerio' is dark, yet vivid as it leads the listener to imagine the great fall. Linda Thompson never oversells the proposition, using her voice like the fine instrument it is."[15]

Track listing
    All tracks are written by Richard Thompson (except "Together Again" by Buck Owens)

Side one
    No. Title Length
    1. "When I Get to the Border" 3:26
    2. "The Calvary Cross" 3:51
    3. "Withered and Died" 3:24
    4. "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight" 3:07
    5. "Down Where the Drunkards Roll" 4:05
    Side two
    No. Title Length
    6. "We Sing Hallelujah" 2:49
    7. "Has He Got a Friend for Me" 3:32
    8. "The Little Beggar Girl" 3:24
    9. "The End of the Rainbow" 3:55
    10. "The Great Valerio" 5:22
    2004 CD bonus tracks (previously unreleased)
    No. Title Length
    11. "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight" (live) 3:04
    12. "Together Again" (live) 2:46
    13. "Calvary Cross" (live) 9:54
    Bonus tracks were recorded at the Roundhouse, London, on 7 September 1975.

Personnel
    Musicians

Bonus tracks: Richard and Linda Thompson with John Kirkpatrick, Dave Pegg (bass guitar) and Dave Mattacks (drums).

Technical

Kiss73 and Bowland like this.