Full range single driver open baffle fans

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by okc_craft, Nov 25, 2020.

1. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters Thread Starter

The Bianco are ok, but I much preferred the Lii W-15 for low mid/ low frequency. A small 6” wing on the back of those baffles would also be a nice improvement for bass response. I can’t remember exactly the inductor values, but I was low passing somewhere around 250hz, 1st order. I just left the WB driver to roll off naturally (no high pass) but did use resistors in an Lpad configuration to bring down that drivers level. At some point I changed from Fast 8s to Silver 8s, which was a noticeable improvement in the upper midrange.

2. Gsyria

Gsyria New Member

Thank you for your fast reply. I 'd like to mention thought that the reason that I m thinking about the Biancos is to keep the cost low hoping that I ll get a fullier sound without having to double the expenses ( With Silver 8 and W15s ).
    Do you think that I ll make it that way?

3. okc_craft

The Bianco going to be better than nothing I suppose, but it certainly won’t get you as close to a full range system as a more expensive driver.

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My dad, who was an electrical engineer by profession, loved building radios (he made me a tube receiver once which I wish I still had) and he made me a pair of open baffle speakers which were placed in two corners of the rec room in the basement. I think the drivers were 8" or so. Very wide stereo separation and I remember like it was yesterday listening to "Third Stone From The Sun" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience in glorious wide stereo.

33na3rd likes this.
  5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I built lots of OBs BUT not every room is OB friendly!!!!!!!!!!

Bass is 360* dispersion as opposed to mids and tweets having 180* dispersion.

To build an OB bass unit is a waste of time as like I said bass has a 360* dispersion and you'll get better results putting them in a cab in a 'force cancellation' position - 2 subs per cab.

I'd also add a 80Hz HP to the baffle speaker - it'll help midrange clarity.

6. okc_craft

I agree that OB bass will never dig super deep, I personally prefer to do H frame. I actually really like to try and build a Ripole sub at some point.

I think high pass really depends on your preferences. I personally really like the cohesiveness of having the WB play the entire range. My current speakers use a Voigt pipe to give low end extension while using a single WB driver for the entire range. There are of course some trade offs to this, but I’m willing to live with them for what I get in return.