UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. johnnywas

johnnywas "London Calling to the faraway towns."

That's great to hear. I have a few of these essential compilations, Dylan and Simon & Garfunkel for example. A lot of music for such a small price.

2. johnnywas

johnnywas "London Calling to the faraway towns."

Thanks. I didn't know there was a 2CD edition until I came across it.

Eric_Generic and Jagger69 like this.
  3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

As I understand it, the toilet cover is what the band always wanted, but the label said no for the original release, resulting in the invitation cover. Most reissues use the toilet cover now.

The “Beggers Banquet” text isn’t actually part of the cover design, but is a sticker on the jewel case, presumably because the record label still didn’t like the fact that the toilet cover lacks the album name. The typeface, and the misspelling, are lifted from the graffiti on the back cover.

[​IMG]

4. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

I haven't found any CDs in a couple of weeks now, but I've been quite lucky so far this year with records, so much so that I think they surpass my CD purchases.
    That being said, I bought this really nice LP of Santana's 'Abraxas' today for £7.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think it's a UK first pressing but, according to Discogs, it's still an early release from 1970. It's in excellent condition and sounds great. I got a late 90s remastered version on CD a few months back but I'm always happy to get a nice vinyl version.

Dave S, MC Rag, saw119 and 13 others like this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

No more CD finds today, there were some new additions to the racks, including a Go-Go's Beauty & The Beat (US Record Club pressing). But it wasn't in great shape and I already have a version of it on CD, so I passed. Did get some Queen-related things for my Queen-loving girlfriend so I left the shop quite pleased.

EG.

Dave S, MC Rag, Dubmart and 4 others like this.
  6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Just one CD from the chazzer today, for £1:
    • Genesis – ...And Then There Were Three... (card gatefold wallet).
    It was once £10.99, according to the sticker.
    [​IMG]

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Hit a bullseye (of sorts) today :)

[​IMG]

Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna (1st Target Pressing, made in WG by Polygram).

However....it was in the wrong case....somebody obviously mixed up their Stevie collection when donating them, and it was in a Rock A Little smooth-sided case. I always look at any CDs by my all-time favouirtes, just on the off-chance it'll be something different that I don't have or really want.

EG.

8. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

Great album.

Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

Indeed, The Rolling Stones 2002 cds for their 60’s albums sound great.

Jagger69 likes this.
  10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It's my 4th copy (UK EMI, US Atco, 2016 deluxe being the others) and I always want Targets of 80s albums...they're just so rare to find in the wild. I have a Wild Heart one, but not the pink/green variant. It's the same style as this one.

EG.

MC Rag, Jagger69 and Gavman like this.
  11. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

The only Target design cd I’ve got is Motley Crue - Shout At Devil, which was £3 from a market stall. I did find standard cds of Stevie Nicks - The Other Side Of The Mirror and Time-space (The Best Of) in a charity shop last year.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  12. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

I did find one cd I thought was worth having yesterday: Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene (2014 remaster). Sadly, it was a very loud and bassy remaster, so I gave it to another charity shop today. I found this vinyl gem in the second charity shop for £3. Excellent condition with hardly any surface noise:righton:
    [​IMG]
    I did like the music on the Jarre cd, which I’d never heard before, with the exception of the famous ‘part IV’.Ordered a fairly well regarded 1997 remaster online.

Gavaxeman, saw119, Dubmart and 11 others like this.
  13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

If you ever find the original WG Polydor Jarre discs, they all sound magnificent. The 90s Sony remasters are okay though. I was fortunate to find some of those early Jarres last week to complete my set.

EG.

14. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Chances are someone else bought the "Rock A Little" CD, in a jewel case that contained that "Bella Donna" CD. Anyway this "Target" CD is a great find!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I now have to think whether I look for a cheap copy and use that (incorrect) box to house it in, or find HQ artwork online and create my own case, or even deluxe the album and find a home for it that way.

I think it was from a donation whose owner really hadn't taken great care with their stuff...not only this swapped disc/case but there were some other really good titles (a Tonight blue-face Japan pressing, in particular) which were all but trashed (the Tonight disc was stuck to the inner booklet and the back inlay was stuck to the case from water damage too). A shame.

EG.

Artificial Man and Jagger69 like this.
  16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

It’s my first of the DSDs. I have some of the old London discs that were MFSL masterings in disguise, which also sound very good… or at least, very good recreations of the master tapes. The stereo mix on Aftermath is Beatles-bad, and some of the Chess tracks on 12x5 are just poor performances - that cover of Under The Boardwalk is awful. I can only presume they were releasing everything they could get their hands on due to demand.

As the mono box is absurdly expensive and contains a lot of duplication and folds, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the JP SHM mono discs for the UK versions of the pre-68 albums, where the London isn’t mono, and for a DSD remaster of The London Singles.

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Under the Boardwalk was a #1 single in Australia

18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Bizarre!

Jagger69 and Mylene like this.
  19. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Lord. I thought perhaps that made sense if you never got the original Drifters version, but apparently that made it to no. 7 there.

Jagger69 and croquetlawns like this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Stones were touring at the time and Mick commented unfavourably about it.

croquetlawns, Jagger69 and Alexlotl like this.
  21. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Two in Kirkby Lonsdale (two shelves of CDs now from just one on my last visit), £1 each -
    The Beatles - Please Please Me
    John Lee Hooker - Mr Lucky

Half an hour ago in one of the Garstang charity shops, 3 for £1 -
    Nancy Wilson - Something Wonderful [1960 album]
    Fleetwood Mac - the first album with bonus tracks. I have all these tracks on Blue Horizon's FM boxset, but very pleased to get the individual album too.
    Sha Na Na - At The Hop [DVD disc and audio disc]. They were, imo, the worst act at Woodstock, but I got this to make up the three.

22. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    A couple of nice jazz finds for a pound each from the end of last week. Looking forward to hearing the Zawinul as I really enjoy Third Stream music.

Dave S, Dirty Bertie, Dubmart and 5 others like this.
  23. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

If I were you, I would look for a cheap version of "Bella Donna" for this "Target" CD.

I don't understand why some people take such bad care of their CDs and LPs. I wouldn't buy that early blue-face Japan pressing of David Bowie's "Tonight", because it has got water damage. And this CD is on my "wantlist" !!!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

Just one more today. What I believe is the earliest cd version of this title, 1983 cd according to Discogs, £1
    [​IMG]

Dave S, Dubmart, MC Rag and 12 others like this.
  25. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Excellent!