Favorite headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mhw58, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I’ve tried it and it’s pretty good. Needs a nuclear reactor tho to power it well.

but IMHO the Beyer DT1990 is better. More weight to instruments and more exciting

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Smoother, nicer bottom end, better detail - but they were a few hundred more. Both very comfortable.

Tone? likes this.
  3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I want to try em out but the freq response kinda ‘ doesn’t look too good’.
    Are they pretty linear in response?
    Better soundstage than the beyers ?
    Thanks man

4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

To me headphones are 90% comfort - buy ones that you find comfortable.

I really like my Meze 99 Gold Classics as the more budget option -- They are not the most accurate but they are easy to listen to all day - I live in Hong Kong which is very humid - and the earpads hold up so far very well - my ATH 50s disolvd in 18 months and had to be thrown away.

$310 USD

[​IMG]

5. M1ke2345

M1ke2345 Enjoying the new Red & Blue Beatles albums.

I also have a pair of Sony XM2s for wireless needs, they are still so good.

6. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

HIFIMAN Edition X Version 1

7. J-Flo

J-Flo Well-Known Member

I’ve been using Bose QC II for years but mostly on airplanes. They are fantastic for reducing the background roar of an airplane and I use them without music as often as with music. But they don’t fit my large ears that well, and become quite uncomfortable by the end of a cross-country flight.

Continuing discussions with my wife, who no longer likes loud music most of the time, jest led me to buy my first “audiophile” cans. I settled on the Sennheiser HD650, which I will receive tomorrow and hope they will be comfortable on my big head. Almost went for the Meze 109 Pro because they look so comfy.

8. funkyfish

funkyfish Active Member

The HD650s are good, but you need an amp with enough power to properly drive them. Well, they sound ok without one too, but they definitely sound a lot better with a good amp. And they can be a bit tight, so if you have a big head… might be not so comfortable.

9. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yeah those are gonna need a nuclear reactor to power. Lol
    do You have a good amp for them?

they won’t work with iPads or iPhones well at all

cheers.

Richard Austen likes this.
  10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

No offense but I tried those and was suprised how much I did not like them cause they are so highly regarded.

I just don’t get it.

again pardon. I just was surprised is all.

11. somnar

somnar Senior Member

When you say "budget," what does that mean?

12. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I drive mine with a Fosgate Signature tube amp with nos Sylvania 12AX7 black plate tubes and they sound wonderful when you put some clean power behind them. They blew away my Denon AH-D9200 closed backs. Sorry you didn't care for them.

Tone? likes this.
  13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Interesting.
    I was powering them with my Marantz HD DAC and headphone amp which has tons of power.
    I need to hear some more planars , maybe I’m missing something.

cheers man and again pardon.
    It was more of a “ why didn’t I like these at all” sort of thing.

have you heard the beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro or the Senheiser HD600?
    Just to see how you liked those compared.

slovell likes this.
  14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

No worries. Everyone's ears are different and we all hear things differently. It's possible the Edition X's just mate very well with the tubed Fosgate. I've heard the Senns and didn't care for them. I have a pair of Beyer T1's gathering dust somewhere that I didn't care for. Way too bright for me and didn't fit my head at all. I need to sell them on. The Edition X's fit my head like a glove. They're the best fitting cans I've ever owned. I loved the Denon's and never thought I'd want anything else but I bought the X's used on a whim. Around a year later I realized I hadn't taken the Denon's off their perch in all that time and sold them. It's just a question of what sounds good to you. I'm 72 and my ears certainly ain't what they used to be so maybe the X's just suit my ancient ears better.

Tone? likes this.
  15. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yeah I get it man.
    I’m 55 I’m gaining on you. Ha.

thanks for the feedback

slovell likes this.
  16. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I don't use headphones often, I use a pair of Klipsch HP 3 when I do.

17. J-Flo

J-Flo Well-Known Member

Thanks to you both for the cautionary notes. I’m going to try powering the HD650 with my preamp. I have no idea how much power the headphone jack puts out as the manufacturer doesn’t include that data in its specs, but I am expecting it to be robust (Rotel RC-1590 MKII). If they are too tight or sound underpowered I will have to send them back.

I did some googling and reading through recommendations and reviews and couldn’t find a good “headphones for dummies” source out there. Harley’s book has a chapter on headphones from which I gathered that the HD 650 (300 ohm, 102dB sensitivity) would be average drivers, but I am new at this so have no actual idea.

Tone? and darvit like this.
  18. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Man, at 55 I found that choosing headphones is the most difficult thing in audio.
    People rave about so many headphones and others hate them and Vice versa.

I think it’s mostly cause no one can agree to what should be a good target curve for headphones to follow. Even Harman has revised its curve a bit.

plus it’s a pretty different way of projecting a soundstage etc from speakers to be natural sounding.

19. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

I have headphones that are favourites for different genres.

HD580 - the timbral and tonal accuracy of these are just perfect for chamber music. They also do the same for piano music which many highly praised cans don't. At 300 ohms they do need to be driven but aren't as fussy as the next set of cans I'll mention. The only caveat is finding a pair - not easy. I'll never sell these!

HD650 - my go to for a fun set of headphones. Yes, I've had to have the amplification (Asgard 3) to drive them to somewhere near what they can do. There are a number of faults with these cans but once you put them on your are immersed in the music. Great for anything from the '50s and onwards. However, if you want great detail, imaging and soundstage look elsewhere.

Audeze MM100. These cater to my extensive classical music tastes for just about every genre and compete my my 580s at times. What they also do superbly well is vocals - especially female.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

From the way back machine as I haven't owned a set of headphones in a number of years so old favorite AKG 140's...

21. yomav

yomav Active Member

Hello. I am searching Best headphones I couldn't find yet Could someone can tell me which headphones are best For listening to Music.

22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I love my headphones but lately I been into IEM which I never thought I’d like.

23. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Senn HD 600. Super comfortable - and sound great.

24. Jorje Chica

Jorje Chica Official "Tina Turner Fan"

I only own one pair that I use with my systems, so by default it is my favorite: Koss Pro4AA (a new pair, not a vintage one).

For cleaning records with my somewhat noisy Record Doctor VI or for listing to my iPod Classic, I use a pair of Bose QC2 noise reduction headphones.