Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

What's your current pressing of Dialogue? :)

Crush87 likes this.
  2. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Don't have one, but would take one!

3. Petter Premberg

Ah so you are not ready to close your Hutch collection after Total Eclipse just yet :) (Dialogue coming as a Tone later this year)

GabrielJazz and Crush87 like this.
  4. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

How often do I find myself saying things like this, and then a few months later another 3 records by said artist just seem to have snuck their way into my collection :laugh:

That being said, when it comes to Hutch - I can't wait for Dialogue later in the year. Such a beautiful album with Hutch and Andrew Hill together. Medina which is coming later in the year is good too, and Components is classic and needs the TP/BNC treatment. And Spiral. And Head On. For me, there's just too many good Hutch sessions not yet re-released for me to draw a line.

5. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Do you have Patterns?

zongo and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I have a 'wally' cut copy of this record and I used to have a decent copy of Cirrus but what's with his 'Montara' title?
    It seems to go for good money, a record store near me has a thrashed copy for like $60, much more than that if you look on Discogs.

7. iampm

iampm the expense and the inconvenience

Happy Friday. Professionally, a very successful work week for me, so celebrated with decent food (bangers and mash!), decent wine, and decent music

Throughout the day, I played two of my RSD purchases - Kristen Hersh's Hips and Makers and the late great Kirsty MacColl's Titanic Days, but tonight it's all about the BNCs - Little Johnny C and Introducing Johnny Griffin. These can be had for a song, and I'm always happy to have them spinning.

JeffMo, Biff Jones, Tlay and 7 others like this.
  8. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Wow the last thing I would have expected is to peek into this thread and see Happenings getting trashed as an album. Wow.

9. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

Well let me speak up for it than. I thinks it’s an excellent album. Not my favorite Hutch no but very, very good and the Classics version sounds terrific!

Imo Hutch made one hell of a ride in the ‘60’s and every single album is worth having. The only ones I need to obtain on vinyl still are Medina, Dialogue and Spiral. 2 of them will be obtained this year fortunately. Hutch deserves a reissue program like he gets. His output is of constant high quality.

10. It boggles the mind.

Top tier Blue Note.

Mark J, Fender Relic, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  11. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

who's trashing it?

or are folks actually giving it a critical music listen since it's not a coveted record anymore? suddenly it's available at a normal price...

GabrielJazz likes this.
  12. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Not seeing anyone trash it here... just a few comments (myself included) saying that there are a few other albums in the Hutch discography that people prefer!

13. GabrielJazz

GabrielJazz Forum Resident

I don’t think anyone is trashing it. In fact, I’m sure most of us here will pick it up at some point. There’s just so many good reissues right now that I’m finding I want to pick up other stuff instead. And hopefully I’ll be able to save some money when I’m ready to get it.

bjlefebvre and Crush87 like this.
  14. So people wanted it because they could not have it, and now they can have it they don’t want it?

Not sure I buy that.

The album is phenomenal, IMO. 6 original Hutch compositions, countless sublime solos from Hutch and Herbie, a fantastic rendition of Maiden Voyage, and two of Hutch’s best comps in The Omen and Aquarian Moon.

All IMO, of course. Only Dialogue would I rank higher from Hutcherson, and that’s a bit apples to oranges as there are no Hutcherson compositions (3 Hill and 2 Chambers)

15. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I never said Happenings was bad. I just limited myself to one BNC this time around and went with the Herbie.

I actually saw a copy of Hutcherson's Spiral Jazz Record Center yesterday. I keep thinking I should have picked it up, but the owner wanted a little more for it than I wanted to pay. Going to kick myself for that.

Also, when AI starts nagging you....

[​IMG]

16. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

I see what you did there. I wouldn't buy it at $400 either.

I agree with you, though, about Happenings being top tier. Dialogue made a splash, but Happenings was when it all clicked that this dude could be talked about with Hampton and Jackson. The Omen is an amazing composition and that performance requires multiple listens. I think Total Eclipse doesn't get enough love. That album is special, and Hutch is flexing compositionally. And a young Chick Corea is a great match there. (And let's not forget his contributions on Out To Lunch and One Step Beyond before, I believe, he had is Blue Note contract IIRC)

But, I also don't think anyone was really trashing Happenings above, there were just some preferences being expressed now that a reasonably priced version is available and they actually have to decide whether to buy it or not.

I heard Stefon Harris play a couple of times at the Vanguard/Jazz Standard in the late 90s. Once was shortly after he closed a jazz festival playing dueling solos with Hutch and Jackson. He played Aquarian Moon that night and called out Hutch. It was fantastic. I actually think Joel Ross reminds me more of Hutcherson than Stefon Harris, though. The way he uses polyrhythms and speeds up accents with a lot of quick pick up notes. Feels more aggressive with rhythms.

mktracy, R.T.Firefly, ubiknik and 4 others like this.
  17. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

I really enjoyed reading the passionate opinions about Happenings and where you rank it in his BN discography. Now I'm even more excited to pick it up eventually, and more generally, to delve into his discography :)

18. Storytime

Storytime Forum Resident

Quick question: I was about to order a bunch of Classic Vinyl Series titles directly from Blue Note to take advantage of their sale (ends tomorrow), but now I see several of them that were previously released (e.g., Search for the New Land) are now marked "Pre-Order." Does this mean they are awaiting more from their warehouse? Or that we'd need to wait for a repress?

19. bruinuclafan

I don't think any one person was trashing the album. But reading the thread it definitely feels like a piling on was happening. Which is fine of course, everyone has their own opinion, but I can't imagine making a top ten Blue Note list without having that on it.

As far as people not wanting it because it is available now, that does't make sense to me at all. Why would people buy it at those prices if the music wasn't fantastic? Anyways, I have the MMJ45 so I won't be getting the BNC. I think an interesting comparison would be if someone compared the BNC to the King, which is excellent.

Fender Relic, mktracy and Dai like this.
  20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Happy to say Happenings is now shipping from Amazon starting this weekend. Can't wait to give a listen

Fender Relic, mktracy and mpayan like this.
  21. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I'll do a proper comparison with my King if you buy the BNC and do the same with your MMJ :laugh:

this_machine, mktracy, bkbk and 2 others like this.
  22. bruinuclafan

Maybe when it goes on sale...lol

this_machine and Dai like this.
  23. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Night Dreamer is $18 on the Amazon

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I prefer Hutcherson's leader dates with horns. I'm not saying "Happenings" is a bad session, but it's not the first Hutcherson date I pull off the shelves when I want to hear him play.

25. Petter Premberg

Spun my newly arrived BNC Happenings today. Top tier Hutch for me, sounds fantastic. The interplay between Herbie and Hutch here is great, and both getting the space to really dig in on the solos. No MMJ or King to compare I'm afraid, but this is a very good release IMO

kt66brooklyn, mktracy, Dai and 10 others like this.