UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

as per other regulars on this thread, i too have had an extended dry period.
    however, today took an interesting turn.
    see if you can figure out why from from this update from the last few weeks.

total spend : £6.50

Morcheeba - Deep Dive
    Heart - Dreamboat Annie
    Kasabian - For Crying Out Loud
    Mike Oldfield - Voyager
    Opeth - Watershed
    Opeth - Pale Communion (CD/Blu-Ray edition)
    Opeth - Blackwater Park (2012 cd/dvd edition)

obviously, i was most chuffed about finding the Heart on cd.
    so chuffed in fact, that i paid more for that one cd than i have for any other charity cd in a long time - £2.
    however, the big surprise for me : Opeth.
    a band i have heard about, but know little of their music.
    however, a local shop had the expanded editions of PC and BP for 50p each, so could not resist.
    then when i got home, i found out that there was Watershed slid into the cardboard wallet as well.
    from my initial listenings, this is the kind of 'folk/metal' stuff i can totally love.
    also, as per previous posts, i have been on a roll re Mike Oldfield, so had no option but to grab this one as well.
    it's perfectly fine nu-age excess, however, not so sure re the bagpipes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  2. JonF

JonF Forum Resident

Latest finds:

CD:
    Gene Vincent - 'White Lightning' (Hux reissue of his Dandelion LP, including his Peel session) £1.00
    Peter Frampton - 'All Blues' £1.00
    The Mock Turtles - 'Two Sides' £1.00
    The Police - 'Regatta de Blanc' (remaster) £1.00
    The Police - 'Ghost in the Machine' (non-remaster) £1.00
    Matthew Sweet - 'Girlfriend' 79p
    Mike Berry - 'Rock and Roll People....plus' (C5) 50p
    Herbert Gronemeyer - 'Tumult' (CD/DVD set) £1.00

DVD:
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse - 'Rust Never Sleeps' £1.00

Vinyl:
    Terry Reid - 'River' (UK original, near mint sleeve, poster, knackered vinyl!) 50p
    Barney Kessel - 'Swinging Easy!' (Polydor Select, John Marshall on drums) £3.00
    Colosseum - 'Live' (original press, usual problems with the foam inserts) 50p
    Bill Nelson - 'La Belle et La Bete' (no outer sleeve) 50p
    The House of Love - 'The House of Love' (Creation, 1988) £12.00 (had to have it!)

Top find: would've been the Terry Reid, but it's the House of Love....

3. LSMark

LSMark Forum Resident

Some uncommon cassette finds in Sheffield today, especially surprised to find the Love. £6.50 in total.

[​IMG]

4. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Nice, I’d have snapped that up! I’ve found three Sweet albums in the same chaz in 2024, but I think that well has run dry now.

Also, 79p is an oddly specific amount.

Mylene, Eric_Generic, Rossman and 3 others like this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

OT but I think I have that same rug/blanket!

EG.

Jagger69 likes this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lamb sound like Portishead on amphetamines

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Tropical Gangsters was retitled Wise Guys in the States. It was supposed to be an August Darnell solo album but they added two Coati Mundi songs and it became Kid Creole's third album.

johnnywas, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

A roundup of the last couple of weeks' finds - a mix of CDs, music DVDs and music books*.
    Free - Free Forever (2DVD) £2
    Lots of TV appearances and official videos on disc 1; IoW Festival 1970 on disc 2 (mostly audio only though, but with some songs caught on video).
    Tim Burgess - One Two Another £2*
    Charlatans man talks about his lyrics. Tbh I don't know his music very well but he's an interesting chap (and I know his Listening Parties).
    Stuart Townend - The Journey £1
    Folky hymn-man.
    Neil Young - Long May You Run: The Illustrated History £1.50*
    Heavily illustrated coffee table book.
    Sam Lee & Friends - The Fade In Time 50p
    Award winning folk - interesting and unusual arrangements.
    Anna Ryder - Pockets On Fire; The Stanley Brothers - Riding That Midnight Train - The Starday-King Years 1958-61; The Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid (non-remastered) 3 for £1
    Anna Ryder is backed by different combinations of Fairport Convention (I'm sure I have seen her supporting them). Stanley Brothers is authentic bluegrass. APP - I already have the remaster - their albums always sound good.
    Al Stewart - Down In The Cellar £1
    Year Of The Cat man sings about wine (on which topic he is something of an expert).
    Chris de Burgh - The Ultimate Collection (2CD+DVD) £1.99
    I've said here before I quite like his pre Lady in Red stuff. This compilation shows why I don't like the A&M albums after that - some of the "romantic" songs from these are truly excruciating! (He's redeemed himself more recently, writing about historical topics again). The DVD has some of the good songs, but the whole package doesn't have much from his earliest (and best) albums, unfortunately.
    Steve Davis & Kavus Torabi - Medical Grade Music (hbk) £5*
    Snooker champ and current Gong frontman talk prog and other esoteric music - hilarity ensues! Bought from Gunnersbury Park Museum after seeing the Set To Stun sci-fi exhibition (free, and recommended, so happy to pay a fiver in their second hand book section).
    The Duckworth Lewis Method - The Duckworth Lewis Method 25p
    Neil Hannon and Thomas Walsh's eccentric concept album about cricket.
    Laibach - Let It Be; Capercaillie - An Introduction to Capercaillie; The Jetset - Jetsetmania! (2CD); Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean; Iron & Wine - Around The Well (2CD) 5 for £1
    The Laibach was the main point of interest here, so then I had to pick four others... Capercaillie don't actually need any introduction to me (I already have a lot of their albums); The Jestset I thought was a 60s band but they're from the 80s - are they a spoof like The Rutles? Look like fun anyway. Iron & Wine I had heard of but have never heard their (or his?) music so bought blind. Hopefully it's the kind of thing I'll like.

9. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Both Duckworth Lewis Method albums are wonderful IMO, but I am a fan of both cricket and The Divine Comedy.

In the town office today, and spotted a minor treasure in the window of Oxfam Books, so went back to get it at lunch.

[​IMG]

Herman Dune - Giant. £1 from Amnesty Books. I have a later Herman Dune album, Strange Moosic, which is enjoyable if perhaps slightly unremarkable (barring the oversized picture book packaging). This is from 2006, back when Andre Herman Dune, AKA Stanley Brinks, was still in the band. Based on his solo material, this might be spicier.

The Rolling Stones - Beggar’s Banquet (DSD remaster), £3 at Oxfam Books. I’ve honestly never heard this album, and I understand that it’s one of their best, and that this is the forum favourite mastering.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I had a really good chat with a couple of the Opeth guys, very nice people, they offered to put me on the guest list, much to my regret I had other commitments so couldn't make it, but I suspect I would have thoroughly enjoyed the gig even if it's not my usual thing.

mark e likes this.
  11. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Would love that Free set. Their discography is one of the most consistent of any UK band.

Jagger69, JonF and newelectricmuse like this.
  12. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Just the one this morn, got it for 50p which was nice esp as the cd's themselves are in near mint condition, luckily i've got a spare 2 cd case to swop over.

[​IMG]

13. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

Day off, took a bus trip to the neighboring town of Louth, to visit ‘Off The Beaten Tracks’ record shop. Had a look round some Charity shops too.

a good day, all these for 50p each
    [​IMG]
    Boston - S/T (early cd)
    Mike & The Mechanics - S/T and The Living Years
    W.A.S.P - Inside The Electric Circus (early cd)
    Men At Work - Business As Usual (early cd)
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (2004 2cd)
    Robert Johnson - King Of The Delta Blues (1997 Sony Legacy)
    The Who - Collection (1985 2cd compilation)
    Blue Boy - Remember me (cd single, 25p)

Already own both an early cd and vinyl press of Rumours, but couldn’t let this one go.
    The Robert Johnson will probably sound lackluster, it proudly proclaims the use of ‘Sonic Solutions NoNoise).
    The Who compilation proclaiming ‘As seen on TV’, from Polydor/Stylus Music is a weird release that I’ve never seen before.
    Happy to have the W.A.S.P despite owning it already.

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I know they're not for everyone, but I really love those first 2 Mike + Mechanics albums.

EG.

15. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

Silent Running is a fantastic song.

Rossman, Gavman, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  16. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

In my early teens, The Living Years album was an often played tape in my parents car. We lived in the U.A.E and it was a pirate cassette (Thomsun) with ‘All I Need Is A Miracle’ as a bonus track.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  17. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Bit of a result from MusicMagpie this week.

If there's an album that I want and it turns out to be in MM's 4 for £8 (2 for £5/1 for £2.99) used offer, then my usual MO is to spend about my next three or four work lunch hours trawling through the entire section for another three that I might possibly like.

This time I was after Was (Not Was)'s Hello Dad... I'm in Jail compilation, and for my other three, I settled on The Veronicas Hook Me Up, new age pianist Jim Brickman's No Words, and Crosby/Pevar/Raymond's Just Like Gravity, which I was really surprised to see included in that offer. I thought "Ooh, I'm having that!". Anyhoo, a few days later they all arrive and, to my delight, the CPR is a brand new and sealed digipack (a 2020 re-release of the 2001 album, by the looks of things). I almost didn't want to open it, but I'm glad I did 'cos it's excellent. Offset a bit by the Jim Brickman which is pretty dull, but Was (Not Was) is good value. Haven't listened to the Veronicas yet.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  18. Artificial Man

Artificial Man Forum Resident

The local Hospice care shop has moved to a larger building so now selling furniture and electrical goods. Cds in the old shop were 75p each but are now 4 for £1.

More cds on display but mostly rubbish. Picked up these

[​IMG]

Chris Rea - The Road to Hell 1989

Mike Oldfied - Tubular Bells II 1992

Buddy Holly - Very best of 1996

Ray Charles- The Definitive 2001

I had Auberge on cassette but that is my only Chris Rea album prior to this.

Previously got the Ray Charles comp about 6 months ago but needed something to make up the offer and this one came in a slipcase (who doesn’t love a slipcase!)

Popped into the Sue Ryder shop next door and noticed some new stock. There were a few things I may have picked up if they were at the usual price of £1.30 but was stunned to see the prices has risen to £3 or £6 each! Slightly annoying when on the next shelf the dvds are still 4 for a quid.
    Cds are stacked up and no care taken to clean them up.

Interesting price plan considering they now have competition next door. Will see how long that lasts…

19. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Great finds !!! :righton: Especially Boston - "Boston", Fleetwood Mac "Rumours", Men At Work "Business As Usual" and both Mike & The Mechanics albums :agree:

20. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I love the first two Mike & The Mechanics albums as well.

johnnywas, Eric_Generic and Gavman like this.
  21. johnnywas

johnnywas "London Calling to the faraway towns."

url=Upload-cd-pic hosted at ImgBB ][​IMG][/url

Just the two discs from my local Red X this week. 50p each
    Natalie Cole - Take A Look (1993) and the Gomez, 2 disc, 2018 remaster of Liquid Skin (1999).

I'm not familiar with Natalie Cole's music, this is apparently a departure from her usual style, focusing more on songs from the swing & jazz eras. It's an original WME release with 18 tracks.I have the original 11-track Gomez issue. On this remaster there are 6 demos, 3 alternate versions, a 10-minute b-side and a 9- track live set from the Fillmore in 2000.

url=2-MM-this-week hosted at ImgBB ][​IMG][/url

Earlier in the week I was having a look through the Music Magpie site and ordered these four for £5, they arrived today.

The World Circuit comp. is from 2006 and celebrates the 20th anniversary of the label. I have three from this label, Buena Vista, Orlando Cachaito Lopez & Ibrahim Ferrer. This two disc 29 tracker includes seven previously unreleased songs.
    Saint Etienne - Sound of Water is from 2000. I'm slowly collecting their discography.
    World 2004 is the third annual release of this series compiled by Charlie Gillet and over the two discs, collects 34 artists from 28 countries.
    The Essential Sly & The Family Stone is another two disc set comprising 35 tracks. A Sony Legacy release from 2003. The only other CD I have by them is the classic 'There's A Riot Going On'

On a closing note I received a notification of my 2nd year anniversary of being on the forum. A surprise I didn't think it was as long as that! Reminds me of one of my favourite Stones songs 'Time is on my Side', it takes on a different meaning when you get older! :shrug:

22. johnnywas

Unusual change to the cover adding the title with the wrong spelling!

Jagger69 likes this.
  23. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

I have that Sly cd and if my memory isn't failing me it's mastered by Vic Anesini which means it sounds as good as that music can. It's a great buy for SQ.

Dave S, Albiegator and Jagger69 like this.
  24. johnnywas

Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Very nice find on the Gomez 2CD!

EG.

Gavman, Jagger69 and johnnywas like this.