Record Store Day 2024 - April 20th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 5, 2024.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Noah Kahan was very popular last year, so I would guess so. My 15-year-old daughter is accompanying me this year (to get the Kahan discs), and we're going to line up a little earlier than I would normally, so there's one datapoint.

ARK, Pearlybaker, bjlefebvre and 2 others like this.
  2. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I was hoping to get one of these, but my local informed my they didn't get any copies and it looks like Plaidroom only got 1 as well. Not sure why they chose to press such a small number. Oh well.

3. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

The two stores here in Michigan I have seen a list from both have the Acetone on their list.

georgespigott and tingly like this.
  4. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I think I have it narrowed down to the following:
    In This Moment (for my partner, this one will be tough with only 1000 pressed)
    Gene Clark - No Other Sessions (I already have the sierra pressing of lost studio sessions)
    Lost In Translation OST
    Slits (this one might be tough too, and not a must have but would rather like it to go along with my copy of Cut)

Macman and oldjollymon like this.
  5. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I want to like this release but I'm struggling to be honest. John is my favorite Beatle and the only one that I really like as a solo artist. Maybe it's all those David Bowie RSD releases I'm referencing but it seems like they're just squeezing out a few extra releases before the full Mind Games ultimate mix release comes out later this year. $30 for a few tracks that will most likely be on a full album at a later time. I'm passing on this one even though I want to love it.

6. jmdivi

jmdivi Forum Resident

Is it worth getting the Beatles 3 inch singles if I have no intention of getting the Beatles turntable ? I know they each come with a poster but I can see these being 19$ a piece. I have every RSD Beatles release but not sure about these 4 mini singles

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Only you, as a collector, can determine whether or not it's worth it (for you) to buy records that you have no way of playing.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I may look again, but after hearing the sound quality of the Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note samples and deciding it's not worth the 50 US bucks, I don't see that there's anything else on the list that I really want (Maybe the CD version, but it's probably not anything I'd play a lot.).

It's also Earth Day tomorrow, and there are numerous opportunities to do community cleanups. That may be the better way to spend part of my day. :shrug:

bjlefebvre and LivingForever like this.
  9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Ugh - 2nd straight year I’m skipping it. Just not enough being offered that I want to make me put forth the get-up-early effort. I’ll buy the one thing I want online and that’ll be it.

CalaveraJ and John D. like this.
  10. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

only thing I'm interested in tomorrow is the Gandalf and luckily I live in the Portland area so Jackpot should have plenty of those to go around for some time I imagine

Rekkerds and Howard Bleach like this.
  11. Hulk Hogan

Hulk Hogan Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that. Wish it was just a standard release rather than the picture discs. But I have every other motley record, and I figure most of it should be loud enough to drown out any surface noise.

FWatty likes this.
  12. Hulk Hogan

Hulk Hogan Well-Known Member

This is one of my big wants but I figure there's almost no chance of lucking into it. One store posted that there are several titles that no store received more than 1 copy of and clearly this is one of them. Maybe at some point they'll do another pressing, perhaps with some of the songs that didn't make the album.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  13. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Only one item on my list and that is the 300% Dynamite reissue. Here's hoping there's still copies around when I brave the stores.

oldjollymon, uzn007 and chickendinna like this.
  14. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Isn't quantities this year kind of crazy? It seems like they're starting to drive interest with lower pressing numbers. I can understand that. Doloroes O'Riordan solo album at 600 copies... and an exclusive?! Wow. That just seems really strange to be honest.

LeeGriffin, audiotom and Dreaddazzman like this.
  15. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

My wife is having a CT scan tomorrow morning so I won’t be there until later, around noonish, and I will have to see what’s left. Otherwise, it will be online shopping.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Per my kids in college, Noah Kahn will definitely influence the lines, though probably not as much as Taylor Swift.

As for them not buying the records you want, I know last year my daughter's friends bought records for their dads along with Taylor. So don't be surprised if Pearl Jam is hit pretty hard.

17. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Looking at the Canadian pricing for stores that have their lists up, things are certainly out of hand. Single LPs averaging ~$40+ and doubles ~$60+. All for questionable sources in many cases, and normally no returns. It has become too much of a gamble, IMO. Looking over the small number of RSD and RSDBF pickups I have made over the last few years, I've been happy with the sound and pressing quality of maybe 50% of them. Probably time for me to sit it out this year and pick up leftovers at half off in a few months.

With luck, Jackpot will release standard black vinyl versions of Gandalf and SRC!

dheath likes this.
  18. Nike

Nike Duke

Price are insane. Don’t need anything for this price. Bowie is real ok price. Talking Heads so so. Rolling Stones live is so so but ok if is it real limited. 6-10 lp’s i was interested, no value for my money. Doors etc. i can buy all, but refuse buy it for this price.
    Bowie
    TH live
    RS live

19. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

The price for the double Foghat album in the UK is beyond a joke. No way will I pay £60 for a Foghat release. Only for diehard fans and there can't be that many surely.

Texado, uzn007, BrentB and 2 others like this.
  20. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Narrowed my wants down to -

Bowie
    Dolores O'Riordon
    Yes Live '71
    Kate Bush
    Bebel Gilberto

21. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

22. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm kinda sorta interested in that, but might stick to streaming.

I'm in for the Mal Waldron/ Steve Lacy, maybe the Sister Rosetta Tharpe.
    I'll eventually pick up the Captain Beefheart but man does that RSD Beefeart series stick around in the inventory. Absolutely no reason to pay the first-day price on those.

oldjollymon and j4yheindeo like this.
  23. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

The Gil Scott and possibly the Captain Beefheart for me.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  24. DM333

DM333 Forum Resident

All I want is Nancy Sinatra, think I may as well try my luck online as can’t be bothered with RSD.

25. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I have a friend who runs a record store, and I was told that Chris Bellman did the Linda Ronstadt The Asylum Years box set.

Christopher B and Mike6565 like this.