UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I think it could from the same series as my outsized cardboard gatefold copies of the debut and Seven & The Ragged Tiger.

EG.

2. Artificial Man

Artificial Man Forum Resident

Here is another picture of the Rio gatefold
    [​IMG]

There is an 8 page lyric booklet that was inside the front cover and the disc is housed in a card sleeve.

Here is the back cover

[​IMG]

I think I saw that there is also a 2 disc version.

SimonCH, jon10g, Dave S and 7 others like this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks! Yes it's the same format as the other two I have. Will need to keep an eye out for this.

EG.

Jagger69 and Artificial Man like this.
  4. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

The James Taylor combination had a different cover here in the States but it is a good one -- bought mine for 50 cents in a hospital thrift shop

Jagger69 and Gavman like this.
  5. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

A very nice haul. Whilst I own all the albums from your finds that appeal to me (that’s all but two) I always love it when people find them at these low low prices.

I like the look of the inner artwork on that Duran Duran - Rio reissue.

I’m assuming it’s safe to say that the vast majority of people on these forums are over 40 and have vivid memories of seeing these albums at £15.

Just the one find today from me. Top Gun Soundtrack for 50p. Disc quite deeply scratched, but plays perfectly. My cd player is a Sony Blu-Ray player (s370) that plays nicely with discs in less than stellar condition.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    Dubmart, Dave S, Jagger69 and 6 others like this.
  6. Artificial Man

Some of the recent finds I already had in either a different format or edition. I was still buying cassettes up to the mid 90’s alongside cds depending on how much I liked the artist or due to prices considerations (such as the £15 cds you mentioned). Cassettes were often a third of the price so could get 3 for the price of 1!

I am trying to pick up any 80’s original cds if I find them instead of compilations. The Eurythmics cd I picked up was the first non comp of theirs I have seen in the wild. Never heard any of their albums before as only had a greatest hits comp so nice to hear the deep cuts. Listened to it 3 times already :)

And yes, definitely over 40!

jon10g, Albiegator, Dubmart and 4 others like this.
  7. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Well overdue a dirt nap here at 63.

Artificial Man likes this.
  8. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

My first Eurythmics cd was the early 90s greatest hits which is my only Eurythmics cd. I’ve bought three of their albums on vinyl from my local indie over the last 5 weeks. This shop currently has all the 80s Eurythmics on original cd in its ‘£2.99 or 2 for £5’. I think I should buy some.

I’ve never seen the original/early cd of Hounds Of Love in a Grimsby/Cleethorpes charity shop, yet the 1997 remaster (my only physical version) appears once in a blue moon, yet I’ve only seen it once after the broadcast of Stranger Things season 4:D

9. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

Nice! My all time favourite album from my all time favourite band. I have the current CD remaster and the 2CD deluxe with demos, B-Sides and 12'' Mixes now.
    I was lucky to see the Rio Tour at Birmingham Odeon in December 1982 - right place, right time - my first gig too!
    [​IMG]

There is an 8 page lyric booklet that was inside the front cover and the disc is housed in a card sleeve.

Here is the back cover

[​IMG]

I think I saw that there is also a 2 disc version.[/QUOTE]

SimonCH, Dirty Bertie, jon10g and 7 others like this.
  10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

CDs and cassettes today (my first haul of the latter in a while).

[​IMG]

As usual, I'm on the lookout for Warners/CBS/Epic tapes and anything from the late 80s or 90s that is in nice condition and would be something otherwise hard to find. A couple here are actually from the 00s.

[​IMG]
    Spinal views. Everything in release date order, from The Wishing Chair to Solid Bronze. Never seen Eurythmics' GH on tape in the wild before. And I have been wanting the Mariahs ever since I started (re)collecting cassettes last year. Tina comes in a neat white case. Most of these still have the original hype/price stickers on too. I turned down a lot of other things on the shelves. Might already have Michael McDonald but as a clear cassette, whereas this is the earlier black plastic Warner style.

[​IMG]
    The CDs. A really eclectic bunch if ever there was one. The De La Soul is a "limited edition picture disc" version. Knowing how scarce any copies of the original now are, I grabbed this - along with the follow-up. Spiritualized and Levellers are ones I used to have back in the day. The J-M Jarre is a 1997 Sony remaster, which means I have most of the 70s, 80s and early 90s Jarre in both Polydor originals and Sony remasters.

Not sure what to expect from the Supertramp, it dates from before they found their niche with Crime of the Century etc. But it's a lovely all-silver WG disc. Next to it is another all-silver WG disc - Incantation - who were briefly big in 1982/83 with their New Age sound. Queen (still sealed) is the 2011 remaster. Kylie is the 2CD edition; never heard/played this album so I couldn't turn down this version in mint condition.

Best find, in terms of something I was actively hoping for right now, is a 1993 original of Songs of Faith & Devotion. I wanted a non-remaster so I can put a SDE of it together for myself. It's actually a Dutch pressing.

EG.

Rossman, rikki nadir, MC Rag and 21 others like this.
  11. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

Wow. That’s a really great haul Eric. Congrats on finding early cd editions of those De La Soul albums. I stupidly got rid of my Andy Van Dette remaster (with bonus disc) of Three Feet High… assuming it would be on streaming.

Thankfully found a 1989 original from a local seller on FB who was willing to trade it for some cds I didn’t want.

I’m surprised at the Corrs - In Blue being issued on cassette as it’s from year 2000.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes any time I see a post-1999 cassette I am interested! I have a handful of them...Solid Bronze is even later, from October 2001.

I didn't realise the whole OOP minefield that is the De la Soul catalogue until last year, so I made sure to get these even though I have that 2CD of 3 Feet High already (which itself I rebought in the same shop a few months ago, having given mine away in a trade).

EG.

Jagger69, Artificial Man and Gavman like this.
  13. Artificial Man

Nice finds there! I haven’t seen many cassettes down this way. One shop I went into at the beginning of the year had a shelf of them but I managed to resist as I am already getting grief for the amount of cds I am picking up

I do remember one of them was the double cassette of Van Morrison The Philosopher’s Stone which I regret not buying. Might go back to see if it is still there.

On the subject of Supertramp, I pickup up a 1984 cd issue of Breakfast in America today.

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I gather that the early albums, pre-1974, aren't quite the same style but I love all the other Supertramp stuff so I decided to take a chance. At least it's not the album with the tattooed woman on it.

One act I just cannot get on cassette is a-ha; my heart skipped a beat today when I spied Headlines & Deadlines but it was in a poor state so I left it.

EG.

15. Artificial Man

Just remembered I took a photo of the cassettes from that shop as I was surprised to see Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy, which is one of my favourite albums.

You can just about make out some of the titles on the lower shelf. Definitely some interesting stuff.

[​IMG]

Rossman, Fawltykog, Dave S and 3 others like this.
  16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Some decent ones there...Sting, Weller, the Van double of course, and a Terence Trent D'Arby from the mid-90s.

EG.

Jagger69 and Artificial Man like this.
  17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Just checked my latest acquisitions vs what I have in my collection...given I work on memory alone, I'm amazed I don't get more things I've already got. I don't actually have Sweet Freedom already, but I did have Emotions...albeit not in as good condition as this, and without the hype sticker. So it was a good duplicate!

EG.

Rossman, Jagger69 and Artificial Man like this.
  18. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Great finds !!! :righton: Especially the 1993 original pressing of Depeche Mode's "Songs Of Faith & Devotion". I have five albums by Supertramp, but not the one that you have found today. I am surprised to see that Queen "Greatest Hits II" is still sealed!

19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes that was the one I really wanted at the moment; gave it a spin last night. Even though it's from 1993 it can be cranked up quite nicely (mastered more like an 80s album) and it's still one of my favourite DM albums.

EG.

20. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

Great finds there, nice to see a bit of love for the old cassette! I was never really a fan myself (tended to record my own back then) but I appreciate the novelty of seeing some of these familiar releases on cassette.
    That DM album is a fine release too, in my Top 5 favourites of theirs.

21. Artificial Man

A few more purchases yesterday.

[​IMG]

Frank Sinatra - Nice ‘n’ Easy 1991 issue.

Frank Sinatra- The Capitol Years 3 disc set from 1990 with 70 page booklet intact! Great sound by all accounts.

Sensational Alex Harvey Band best of from 1991. Heard some of his stuff in the past but this is the first I have owned. Needs a replacement case.

Those were 3 for a quid.

Also picked up a 1984 issue of Supertramp’s Breakfast in America and a 1987 issue of JJ Cale’s Naturally for £1.50 each.

22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Cannot go wrong with a bit of Breakfast in America!

EG.

Rossman, MC Rag, SimonCH and 5 others like this.
  23. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Nice score on the Sinatras.

Rossman, Dirty Bertie, Mylene and 3 others like this.
  24. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

'Set The Twilight Reeling' by Lou Reed found at a local chazzer yesterday. Only came in that morning so, a lucky one amongst the usual Alfie Boe and Michael Ball, Blue and Ronan Keating dross! Ten pence was the asking price so I turned out my pockets for change and coughed up the grand total of 38p that I had as a gesture.

25. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I stopped off in Inveraray on the way to Tarbert, Kintyre, on Thursday and picked up Who Are You with bonus tracks, Radiohead Air Bag mini album, and the live Silver 2 cd set by Cheap Trick. Three for £1. I was mostly after the Radiohead, but Cheap Trick are a band I know from a handful of hits so I’m curious to hear more. The final Who album with Keith Moon has enough good songs to make it worth while at 33p!