UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I will, and am already, the alphabetical-by-title format works really well...I like the contrasting acts and albums it throws up on the same page.

EG.

2. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Today's buys. Been a long time since I bought more records than CDs in charity shops!

[​IMG]

3. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

PG4 is an excellent album.

johnnywas, Eric_Generic and Jagger69 like this.
  4. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I'm posting this here, rather than in the book finds thread, for anyone who still doesn't know about The Vinyl Detective. Found the sixth in Andrew Cartmel's fiction series in a charity shop this morning, £1. Attack And Decay is about the Vinyl Detective's search for a rare "demonic metal" record in Sweden. Each book in the series features a different genre of music, and I now have five of the seven books.

[​IMG]

jon10g, Dubmart, Albiegator and 11 others like this.
  5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Is that the Andrew Cartmel who was the script editor of Sylvester McCoy era Doctor WHO?

6. AlmostHeavenWV

The one and the same.

7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Wow! I’ll keep an eye out for those!

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  8. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

A great series. The newest and seventh came out last week and the standard is still high.

9. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I read the first two and enjoyed the first one even though the plot was preposterous... and then the second one was even more preposterous, plus had quite a lot of unnecessary mean descriptions of one of the characters, which put me right off. I might give the 3rd one a go one day to see if it got more to my taste.

On the other hand, I am still keeping up with his friend Ben Aaronovitch's books even though I wish he'd hurry up and write the next proper Peter Grant novel!

10. AlmostHeavenWV

He's also begun another series, The Paperback Sleuth.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  11. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

With a review quote from Ben Aaranovich, another 80s Whovian. I think Cartmel worked on some of the Rivers of London graphic novels, too.

I enjoy the Peter Grant books - underneath all the occult stuff is a fascinatingly real-feeling description of the mundanity of modern police work. It’s like Real Magicalism.

I do find the industry of providing glowing quotes for your mates’ books quite amusing. My daughter got a copy of a graphic novel by Molly Knox Ostertag for Christmas, which featured a glowing back cover quote from N.D Stevenson, author of Nimona. They’re a married couple!

12. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I don't think he came across very well in his Doctor Who book "Script Doctor" but to be fair, the run of stories while he was script editor with McCoy as Doctor were some of the best since the early Tom Baker era. Then it got cancelled...

croquetlawns and saw119 like this.
  13. AlmostHeavenWV

I found it difficult to get into the first one, which I'd bought new, and put it down (still haven't gone back to finish it), then some time later I borrowed one of the later books from the local library, enjoyed it, and have enjoyed the other three I've since read.

LivingForever and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Turns out my local independent record shop has started selling secondhand CDs for 99p so it seemed churlish not to look, I was in there to buy a secondhand blues box set anyway. Picked up the above three and was very happy to. Snagged the box set too!
    [​IMG]
    These were from my fave charity shop shortly after. The Charlie Poole is a brilliant find and I was very happy to pay £3 for it. It's a double disc set in a nice box with a mini book of notes. The other cd was a pound. I also bought Searching for Sugar Man on blu ray for a pound as well. Altogether a great day.

jon10g, Dubmart, Mylene and 10 others like this.
  15. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

has been a bit of a dry period for me to be honest.
    however, managed to pick these up for £4 in the last couple of weeks :

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
    UB40 - Rat In The Kitchen
    Mike Oldfield - Discovery
    Various Artists - Elvis - The Original Motion Soundtrack
    Skunk Anansie - Brazen Weep EP2

most chuffed about : UB40 !
    Something I never expected to say about that band.
    But this is a cracking album.
    Also, never seen this Mike Oldfield before in the racks, and so, yeah, was quite pleased to find that.
    Oh, and I have always wanted the Curtis Mayfield album, and this was the first time I had the opportunity to get it.
    The Skunk Anansie EP was picked up cos of the Dreadzone remix basically.
    No idea re the Elvis soundtrack, but hey for 49p i was definitely going to add it to the collection.
    According to discogs its not that common on cd ...

jon10g, Dubmart, Gavman and 14 others like this.
  16. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Mike Oldfield "Discovery" is a great album :righton: I have never seen a Mike Oldfield CD/album in a thrift store here in the Netherlands.

17. Artificial Man

Artificial Man Forum Resident

Nice selection! I have only ever seen one Loudon Wainwright III (Last Man on Earth which I was listening to again earlier) so would have snapped up the Charlie Poole Project. Also can’t go wrong with a bit of Sonny Boy Williamson

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Honestly, it is :) I bought it on the week of release in '86, on cassette, and it accompanied me on a holiday that summer. There are no cover versions on it, and it's probably their last hurrah in terms of a whole self-penned album that's really good throughout.

EG.

bluearmy78, mark e, SimonCH and 2 others like this.
  19. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

I've yet to encounter a cosy crime novel that isn't at least faintly preposterous!

20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you like Ptoof, you might also like to give the two Hapshash and the Coloured Coat a try. Equally wild.

newelectricmuse likes this.
  21. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

I,ll have muscles like Charles Atlas after reading this...

[​IMG] :)

22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I've been thinking of starting a thread for this book...

EG.

23. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Nice to see The Adult Net 'The Honey Tangle' get a good review, always imo of course considered this a very much underrated work, so that was nice to read. :)

Yes here's one vote for the thread Eric.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    SimonCH, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

I found an old fat case copy of Ummagumma by Pink Floyd the other day. It's the only 1960s Pink Floyd album I have.

MC Rag, Mylene, jon10g and 8 others like this.
  25. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

Agreed. Their last great album. I too bought the cassette on release . Played it all the time that year. Must give it a listen on my cd, haven’t heard it in years.

Jagger69, mark e and Eric_Generic like this.