The Concert Sinatra on Reprise from 1963 (including discussion of remixed Concord CD release)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomh, Jan 28, 2003.

1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Sales for this seemed really dismal, wonder if they'll plan any other reissues through Concord.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Interesting. Maybe it's Canadian?

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Nope. Says "Made in USA" at the bottom of the label. Canadian Reprise look weird. Black label with silver print.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What era of Canadian pressings? I have an original mono SWING ALONG WITH ME, and the basic label design is like the US version. It's made by Sparton, and (from what I remember) sounds awful.

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'm not near it now, but I have a Canadian copy of "Dream with Dean" that is a black label with silver lettering. It's the same original label stylingh, just silver on black.

6. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Could be a record club issue.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Trying to upload a pic for y'all but it ain't working, sorry.

Label says Manufactured and Distributed in Canada by The Compo Company Ltd., Lachine, Que.

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

We're having a technical glitch while things are in flux, attachments will be working again eventually.

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

We can wait. Didn't mean to sound bitchy if it came across that way. This ain't no thing in the scheme of things.:laugh:

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  11. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I made it through the entire thread. I discovered this title in its original Reprise CD release. Sounded pretty good to my ears. I was surprised at Sinatra's vocals, stylistically very different from so many other albums. Other than talking Steve into playing his for me, is there any other digital option I should look into? Not that I'm dissatisfied. BTW, I though his vocal volume was nicely balanced against the music, which was almost a full symphony, not an easy trick I'm sure.

12. MLutthans

Well, your only other digital options are the 1998 EOTC, which is nice (not necessarily nicer, but nice on its own terms), or the Concord version, which I think is a misfire on all counts.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  13. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Sounds like I've got the best available. If I hadn't read of other options on the thread, I wouldn't even ask. I found the 1987 very satisfying. I will look out for the mono LP. Thanks for your in-depth analysis of the re-mix.

MLutthans likes this.
  14. MLutthans

You're welcome! :)

(I'm definitely a little harder on the Concord CD than some around here, so be sure to absorb other opinions on that one. I am but one pair of ears.)

Matt

15. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I agree with Matt in every way about the Concord CD and believe it to be a missed opportunity to do the job right after all the hard work to salvage the tapes.

The best CD option to my ears is the 1987 release, but I have to agree the best way to hear this album is the mono LP which I was lucky enough to find a first pressing of in mint condition.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  16. MLutthans

Somewhere in this thread, there is mention of at least one very minor little edit difference between the stereo and mono mixes. I'd love to figure out what happened to allow that!

17. MLutthans

Here it is, with an updated link, so you can hear what I'm talking about:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Quim likes this.
  18. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

Yep we never did get to the bottom of the hiccup...
    Is it possible in the mastering room that the equivalent of some walking in front of a record player at home causing the needle to bounce happened causing the music to jump somehow?

Also in terms of 1998 vs 1987 not much in it musically, in terms of which is better, just different, only you have the full cover on the 1998 release, not the cropped one due to the microphone info.

19. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

The repeated bit (the beat after "walk") in the old stereo mix is tighter but still just perceptible in the remix and perfectly done in the mono. The other edit is still obvious in the remix. Why the obvious edits, I don't know how they mixed it to make a good guess. Did they edit the film rather than the tape or have multiple takes (or tracks therefrom) running and switched between them on the console on the fly, the sync being spot on for the mono but a hair off for the stereo...?
    :shrug:

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

For me its the EOTC on CD and the mono on LP. I do have to give an "Honrable Mention" to the MoFi LP.

21. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Just a wild guess, but it almost sounds like a very slight problem with the tape recorder's speed (electrical or minor bump) while the tape was passing the record head.

AJH

22. MLutthans

Mmmm.....Sounds more like a splice to me on clip 1, but can't say 100% for sure.

23. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Yup, I would agree with the first example, the others, who knows?

AJH

24. MLutthans

For 1998's CD reissue of The Concert Sinatra:
    I've stated in this thread and in the I Remember Tommy pages that I realize it's a little unorthadox to have some tracks remixed and some not, and we may never know the truth on these reissues (Ring-a-Ding Ding, I Remember Tommy, The Concert Sinatra), but today one of our friends here posted something about a Byrds reissue that demonstrates that at least the idea is not totally out of bounds:

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, that link isn't working for me. Its leftover from the old forum, and doesn't automatically update to the new link...